• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

we probably asked this

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Devils' playoff victory over Rangers was better than Stanley Cup for some | NJ.com

good story and great pic. yes that was the devils "cup"

but for the fan was it?

reading the comments i think people are thinking too much as a player and not as a fan. sure we feel good when they win the cup but we get nothing out of it. we dont get a ring or money or anything we dont get the cup. but i was there for game 6 and i watched game 7 in 94. i am 100% fine with how the finals turned out...we should've won it but its not always about the cups...i missed the 95 cup was there in game 6 against dallas and game 6 against the avs i was there in 03 for game 7. but last year against the rangers was easily hands down the greatest game i have ever been too and if your a true devil fan the only other game that could come close to that was game 4 in 95.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I look at it is, I'm pissed we didn't win the cup, but we also didn't expect to get that far. We all knew it was possible but seeing the obsticles that were in our way (Philly owned us all year, we always struggled against the Rangers) we knew it was a tough road and just to get to the finals was a victory. Combine that with the fact we steam rolled Philly and finally silenced the Rangers and exorcised that demon, I think it was all in all a great thing.

Had we not beat them and won the cup we'd still be hearing it from Ranger fans. To finally have the satisfaction of beating them is just about as good as a cup.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Beating the Rangers the way the Devils did definitely made the SCF loss easier to handle. The only other Devils game I remember going to that was as crazy as Rangers GM6 was GM 7 against the Hurricanes a few years back. That was the first time Prudential was really going insane. People stood the entire game in the top deck. Obviously that was a bad night in the end, but for 59 minutes that game was ridiculous.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
mc thats a good game i remember being there too....rangers just lost to the caps in their game 7 mins before. everyone was expecting to face ovie....man i remember that one your right the place was rocking.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
one thing too about game 6. it was a complete party before the game during the game and esp after the game. it was insane i cant even really explain the feeling but maybe winning game 7 in overtime to grab the cup that would be the closest feeling i would say.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a Jets fan I remember reading similar stories when they beat the Pats in the playoffs a few years ago.

When Henrique scored that goal I remember having a more excited reaction then I did when Friesen scored the 3rd goal against the Ducks in 03's Game 7.

Not only did we get there..we stopped them from getting there in a season where so many people were handing them the Cup.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah thats a great point irish that i havent heard said much. keeping them from making it to the finals when they couldve beat the kings maybe...well i will take that any day of the week. that doesnt mean im ranger envy just means i dont want to see them win the cup

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i still remember 5 ranger fans sitting in front of me all game long. one had a straka jersey on.....o my the memories!

Vortimous

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what was so bad about not winning the cup last year wasnt about not winning it... its okay that we lost and didnt win the cup, but it was HOW we lost in last year. That penalty and the 5 minute major was so hard to swallow. I know we were down in the series, but when that called happened (esp after the non call minutes before) you could tell the NHL wanted to make sure that we were not going back to NJ for a game 7. It was just terrible to see it end how it ended. Now if we just lost and they beat us... fine... but to lose like that... such BS. They wanted to give the kings there cup and there party... no way was that game going to game 7 and the refs made sure of that....

So yes, the game 6 against the rags was still the best game... Hell, I even still have it on my DVR and watch the OT from time to time.... esp when they announced the lockout was over and hockey was starting up.... nothing like watching that game to get pumped up for the season...

Great win tonight against the Rags as well....

GO DEVILS!!!!

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course I wanted the cup bit taking the rags monkey off our backs.....Henrique erased Matteau drafting Matteau was the nail in the 94 coffin

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much have the same feelings about it as Vort does. We never had a chance in game 6 because thats what the NHL wanted

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with Vort and Tilo. We weren't even given a chance to lose the Cup. I have a lot of mixed feelings about the run. Yes, we weren't expected to do much yet still mad a trip to the Final. Beating the Rags did erase 94 for me. Beating the Rags and Philly in the same postseason was awesome, yet I'm still upset that we can't say it resulted in a Stanley Cup Championship.

Just wish the NHL would just let the teams decide things on the ice. Game 7 of the 01 Final was officiated terribly as well. I still haven't seen this franchise flat-out lose in a Stanley Cup Final. I've seen them win and I've seen them get screwed (twice). It's starting to get really old and fast.

Great run last year but the goal is to win the Cup. Especially for this franchise. We're New Jersey Devils fans. We shouldn't just be happy to be there. Anything less than the Cup isn't good enough. It truly is all about the Cup. Always has been. And always will be.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We blew games 1 and 2 all by ourselves. Should never have come down to that call.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great run last year but the goal is to win the Cup. Especially for this franchise. We're New Jersey Devils fans. We shouldn't just be happy to be there. Anything less than the Cup isn't good enough. It truly is all about the Cup. Always has been. And always will be.

Thats my thing. We're just fans. We dont get paid more for winning a cup. We dont get a day off of work. Hell, we win the cup tickets go up even higher than they did. If we we players, then yea we should be upset for not winning. The goal is a player is to win. But I'm just a fan, so I'll just cheer my team on as far as the players can go

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow tilo and me agree? I like!

Nasty is right you get to overtime you have to take 1 of those games. Damn I remember fayne had that open cage with 2 mins left in game 1 and shanked it. Then kovy hitting the pipe with 30 seconds left in gamw 2. That's what cost us. Buuuuuut I do agree the nhl cost us game 6 against the avs. Gomez kicking the puvk in cost us

Vortimous

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again with the avs series.... once again NO WAY IN HELL was the NHL gonna let Ray Bourque retire without the Cup that year.... hell if you remember the opening show before the game started for game 7, you didnt even know who the Avs were even playing in that game.. it was all about Ray and his destiney... No way was the NHL gonna let us walk away with the cup that year (esp since we just won it the year before). And the calls against us that game made it obvious... I dont remember how many, but I do remember they were on the PP a hell of alot more than we were..... Again.. bunch of BS....

Go Devils....

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again with the avs series.... once again NO WAY IN HELL was the NHL gonna let Ray Bourque retire without the Cup that year.... hell if you remember the opening show before the game started for game 7, you didnt even know who the Avs were even playing in that game.. it was all about Ray and his destiney... No way was the NHL gonna let us walk away with the cup that year (esp since we just won it the year before). And the calls against us that game made it obvious... I dont remember how many, but I do remember they were on the PP a hell of alot more than we were..... Again.. bunch of BS....

Go Devils....

Spot on!

Also, don't forget the whole 16W thing that they kept telling us over and over. It was the exit to our arena and Bourque called it 16Wins.