• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We currently have a top 5 pick

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The smart picks are either DT/DE Quinnen Williams or Rush LB/DE Josh Allen

Greedy Williams is a huge risk anywhere top 15 and so is Ed Oliver.

Greedy has good instincts, speed, route recognition at times, but he'll get into trouble grabbing, jumping routes and getting burned for it, has poor mechanics and needs to work on technique. He'll get rag dolled by bigger more physical wr's.

They should either draft Williams or Allen or trade down into the late teens to mid twenties and acquire however many extra draft picks they can get.

This team has too many needs to fill. 1 DT, 2 Edge rushers, 2 LB who can defend the run and cover, a #2 CB and another slot CB, 1 TE, 1 WR (if not 2, a true #1 and a slot wr), 1 RB (one who can spell KJ and also replace Riddick, 1 FS, 1 SS and a starting RG (which should have been Glasgow all along).

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should be picking around 10 now that Statsford was able to lead us to a victory against a clearly tanking GB squad.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The smart picks are either DT/DE Quinnen Williams or Rush LB/DE Josh Allen

Greedy Williams is a huge risk anywhere top 15 and so is Ed Oliver.

Greedy has good instincts, speed, route recognition at times, but he'll get into trouble grabbing, jumping routes and getting burned for it, has poor mechanics and needs to work on technique. He'll get rag dolled by bigger more physical wr's.

They should either draft Williams or Allen or trade down into the late teens to mid twenties and acquire however many extra draft picks they can get.

This team has too many needs to fill. 1 DT, 2 Edge rushers, 2 LB who can defend the run and cover, a #2 CB and another slot CB, 1 TE, 1 WR (if not 2, a true #1 and a slot wr), 1 RB (one who can spell KJ and also replace Riddick, 1 FS, 1 SS and a starting RG (which should have been Glasgow all along).

BLUE!!!!

I think Allen makes the most sense for us. I dont think we need safeties but the rest I pretty much agree with. I am done with Ziggy and Blount so they will need to be replaced. Same for Lang and Wagner, but I have another idea. Neither can stay healthy. Crosby was not too bad. Maybe he becomes the RT and Wagner moves in to RG as he just seems too slow to be a Tackle. Lang can retire. We definitely need to draft a Guard at some point.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
huge risk anywhere top 15 and so is Ed Oliver.

Yup smaller DT's are always considered a risk, but i'd rather have the guy with the quicker first step and better ability to shed blockers. Quinnen does have a nice bull rush and is better at gap control, but isn't really what we need. We need a 3/4I tech that's Oliver.

I don't trust BQ trades he has gotten poor value so far.

Last edited:

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup smaller DT's are always considered a risk, but i'd rather have the guy with the quicker first step and better ability to shed blockers. Quinnen does have a nice bull rush and is better at gap control, but isn't really what we need. We need a 3/4I tech that's Oliver.

Not sure why you think that.

Snacks was a great value (5th and still has 2 years on contract after this one). Trading away Tate was not bad either. He had half a season left. That was the only shot we had at getting anything for him at all. He is getting on in years too. We traded Johnny Badass for a 6th rounder which looks like a steal for us now. A 7th for Spence which I think was not great for us but he was not fitting in on this new defense scheme. We tried to get something for Corey Robinson but he was so bad that we dont even get a conditional pick now. Still the fact he got another team to take a trash player is a positive. He sent Tomlinson to the 49ers for a 5th. Even Kenny Wiggins played better than LT. Think of it this way, we basically traded LT for Snacks. Trading Van Noy for a 7th was the only negative trade a couple years ago but that was MP taking a guy away from Quinn for his defense in NE. If we were playing that scheme here he would not have been traded.

His draft trades were not great. Traded up for players that we probably didnt need to. That needs to improve.

All that being said we have like 9 picks this year granted the 2 extra are 6th and 7th rounds. We got rid of some trash and exchanged LT for Snacks. We were losing Tate anyway and KVN would still be here if MP was brought on a year earlier.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snacks was a great value (5th and still has 2 years on contract after this one). Trading away Tate was not bad either.

Snacks was a solid move.
Not sure Tate was (given the timing and what he meant to our offense). Tate would of probably finished the season strong and left. But we would of more than likely gotten a 3rd round compensatory pick anyways. Quinn probably wanted to 3rd rounder sooner than later cause he might very well be in his final year as GM if the Lions have another season like this last one.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Detroit Lions. They'd f-up a wet dream.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we would of more than likely gotten a 3rd round compensatory pick anyways.

Highly doubtful.

The Lions currently have an effective cap space with expected 51 man roster for 2019 with approximately 34.5M before any cuts.

All but 7.5M max of that will be spent (need roughly 2M for practice squad and 5.5M for injury replacement money).
Under the assumption Lang gets cut and Quin either retires or gets cut you can add roughly another 15.1M to that effective cap space.

I get that WR's are getting paid crazy money but I highly doubt Tate receives anything more than a 2-3 year contract that gives him total guaranteed money in the 14-17M range for that contract and that's questionable. He's turning 31 next year. Some team would have to be stupid to give him anything more than that.

He'd have to get a 5 year 17+M average per year contract in order for us to receive a 3rd round comp pick AND for us to not overspend on a similar contract comparative to one like that which would negate that comp pick. Salary, snap % played, staying injury free and on the roster all figure into those comps plus other criteria.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have nor had any intention of coming across as condemning your choice of Oliver as a draft prospect. Gandy, Smitty and I had numerous convos regarding Oliver as a prospect when he was a true Freshman. I was in absolute awe of his skillset and I still am. However, Oliver, imo, has nowhere near the strength, power or ability to shed blocks like Quinnen has demonstrated or even the hand placement or leverage that Quinnen has showed. What Oliver does possess is a much better burst and explosiveness and total pass rush moves. all just imo.

I have complete respect for your ability to evaluate talent and give your opinion on prospects. You're easily one of the best at it on here.

I'm just disagreeing with you as Oliver being viewed as a Blue Chip prospect for the 2019 draft.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have nor had any intention of coming across as condemning your choice of Oliver as a draft prospect. Gandy, Smitty and I had numerous convos regarding Oliver as a prospect when he was a true Freshman. I was in absolute awe of his skillset and I still am. However, Oliver, imo, has nowhere near the strength, power or ability to shed blocks like Quinnen has demonstrated or even the hand placement or leverage that Quinnen has showed. What Oliver does possess is a much better burst and explosiveness and total pass rush moves. all just imo.

I have complete respect for your ability to evaluate talent and give your opinion on prospects. You're easily one of the best at it on here.

I'm just disagreeing with you as Oliver being viewed as a Blue Chip prospect for the 2019 draft.

I think his ceiling is weak Geno Atkins, I would not mind a player like that on our line. I do think that his comp of Donald is laughable though.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his ceiling is weak Geno Atkins, I would not mind a player like that on our line. I do think that his comp of Donald is laughable though.

I wouldnt go that far. Oliver has room on his frame to get bigger too. Once he gets to an NFL weight room I think he will add 10 pounds easy. The guy is all legs. His upper body has room to grow.

I wont argue who is better. They are both special in their own ways.

I dont think we get either. My guess is either Allen or Greedy. Greedy may be raw but a year being mentored by Slay and he could be great. Plus even year 1 he is a huge improvement over Lawson. I am not sure he fits what MP does on defense though. We play a lot more zone then we used to. I would also be OK with Devin White too but I think that means playing a 3-4 or moving Davis outside.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oliver is a damn good prospect in his own right. Describing Oliver as a weak Geno Atkins seems a little bit short imo. I view him similar to Geno and probably more in line with a quicker, slightly more twitchy, slightly more explosive Grady Jarrett but NOT having the strength of Jarrett just yet. Oliver's body type is probably more in line with Pitt's Javon Hargrave minus 25 lbs.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highly doubtful.

The Lions currently have an effective cap space with expected 51 man roster for 2019 with approximately 34.5M before any cuts.

All but 7.5M max of that will be spent (need roughly 2M for practice squad and 5.5M for injury replacement money).
Under the assumption Lang gets cut and Quin either retires or gets cut you can add roughly another 15.1M to that effective cap space.

I get that WR's are getting paid crazy money but I highly doubt Tate receives anything more than a 2-3 year contract that gives him total guaranteed money in the 14-17M range for that contract and that's questionable. He's turning 31 next year. Some team would have to be stupid to give him anything more than that.

He'd have to get a 5 year 17+M average per year contract in order for us to receive a 3rd round comp pick AND for us to not overspend on a similar contract comparative to one like that which would negate that comp pick. Salary, snap % played, staying injury free and on the roster all figure into those comps plus other criteria.

This^^^^Also, by trading Tate, it gave us a 3rd round pick this year coming up. The comp pick wouldn’t be until 2020. So they get the pick a year earlier.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greedy may be raw but a year being mentored by Slay and he could be great. Plus even year 1 he is a huge improvement over Lawson. I am not sure he fits what MP does on defense though. We play a lot more zone then we used to.

He's not raw at all. Yes, he's just like every other CB or any player coming into the league that needs trained on acquiring better technique and mechanics. He has all the physical tools minus needing 15 lbs of pure muscle. He is very small boned throughout his frame. I saw him live walking by at his home game versus Bama this year. He's a press man corner who is very physical at a wr's release from LOS. He belongs in a system just like Seattle's. If he doesn't get into a system similar to Seattle's, he's going to be ruined just like Morris Claiborne was going to Dallas and that zone Tampa 2 coverage. Claiborne wasn't a top 15 prospect then and was drafted top 8 if I remember correctly. Andraez is no different. He has length at being 6'2+ with long arms and speed to recover and that's what the media analysts are drooling over.

Go watch his damn games against Bama and Georgia and Florida this year. If Georgia qb Fromm could have gotten the ball to his wideouts that were covered by Williams or Florida's qb Franks could have gotten the ball to his wideouts then Williams would have been toasted on the reg in those games. It's going to be worse in the NFL for him, imo only.

Williams is NOT Lattimore or Ward or Patrick Peterson. He's not worth the risk of a top 8 draft pick because DB's take 2-3 years to get comfortable and develop properly. all imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This^^^^Also, by trading Tate, it gave us a 3rd round pick this year coming up. The comp pick wouldn’t be until 2020. So they get the pick a year earlier.

and the Lions will be giving Philly back a 4th round pick in 2020 when Philly doesn't re-sign Tate. those were the parameters in the trade. If he re-signs with Philly then it stands as it is currently.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the Lions will be giving Philly back a 4th round pick in 2020 when Philly doesn't re-sign Tate. those were the parameters in the trade. If he re-signs with Philly then it stands as it is currently.
I believe I read, philly gets the comp pick for Tate. are you sure we send a pick back? I didn’t see that

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also be OK with Devin White too but I think that means playing a 3-4 or moving Davis outside.

White is so much more skilled at coverage than J. Davis was in CFB. However, when you compare the two of them in their college play and missed tackles, I bet those two are damn close. White misses a lot of tackles but he has better recognition is coverage. White is Roquan Smith good in coverage but he's better than Rueben Foster or Jarrad Davis was in college, imo.

If you draft White, you make him WILL LB day 1.