• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We can't win outside of Seattle

GoldenTate

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I heard this about 132983129098014290 times this season. We finished 6-2 on the road, 7-2 overall away from Seattle (Neutral Site Super Bowl Win). 78% win percentage away from home stadium is the best in the NFL if you include the playoffs. Some of our most impressive wins came on the road as well such as Carolina, Arizona, and the complete domination of Atlanta and the Giants. It's like the media doesn't even watch our games and think because we were awful on the road 4 years ago we are now. Want to see a team that is REALLY different home vs away recently? The Saints. Take Brees outside of that dome and he turns into an average QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, just makes it that much sweeter to see the reaction from the people who say that and listen to them try to come up with excuses when Seattle goes on the road and wins.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I heard this about 132983129098014290 times this season. We finished 6-2 on the road, 7-2 overall away from Seattle (Neutral Site Super Bowl Win). 78% win percentage away from home stadium is the best in the NFL if you include the playoffs. Some of our most impressive wins came on the road as well such as Carolina, Arizona, and the complete domination of Atlanta and the Giants. It's like the media doesn't even watch our games and think because we were awful on the road 4 years ago we are now. Want to see a team that is REALLY different home vs away recently? The Saints. Take Brees outside of that dome and he turns into an average QB.

Where did you come from? Of course Seattle couldn't win away from home before this season. Even with this season, Seattle has a total win percentage of .384 (as opposed to .597 at home). The team has only managed a winning record on the road 3 times in team history (1984, 2005 & 2013) which coming into the season was just 2 times. Seattle had been coming off 6 straight years with a losing road record. It wasn't even until 2012 that the team got it's first road playoff win. If the team comes out flat and loses 4 of 5 road games in 2014, the narrative will be the same as it is with Brees and the Saints (they caught lightning in a bottle for a year or two and once again suck on the road).

I'm all for challenging the negative narrative about the teams I follow, but this one has been true, and this season was amazing. Let's hope they continue the trend, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over someone saying something negative about the Seahawks when it's easily 100% true.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First road playoff win since 1983.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you come from? Of course Seattle couldn't win away from home before this season. Even with this season, Seattle has a total win percentage of .384 (as opposed to .597 at home). The team has only managed a winning record on the road 3 times in team history (1984, 2005 & 2013) which coming into the season was just 2 times. Seattle had been coming off 6 straight years with a losing road record. It wasn't even until 2012 that the team got it's first road playoff win. If the team comes out flat and loses 4 of 5 road games in 2014, the narrative will be the same as it is with Brees and the Saints (they caught lightning in a bottle for a year or two and once again suck on the road).

I'm all for challenging the negative narrative about the teams I follow, but this one has been true, and this season was amazing. Let's hope they continue the trend, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over someone saying something negative about the Seahawks when it's easily 100% true.

If people want to stick to historical norms to make blanket statements describing the Seahawks instead of doing research and realizing just how good this team is then that's on them. While you are correct that historically the Seahawks have been awful on the road, they do manage to win when they field good teams. Not surprisingly, the 1984, 2005 and 2013 versions of the Seahawks are arguably the top 3 teams in franchise history. Regardless the people who this year said the Seahawks can't win away from home sure do look foolish now.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As stoker alluded to, it's gonna take years of success on the road before that narrative goes away. Even with this core group (I'm using 2012 and 2013 for this since 2012 is when Wilson took over), it's gonna take more than just this year's 6-2 record to establish a pattern of winning on the road. They're slowly removing and replacing those negative narratives with positive ones and if they're as good going forward as we think they'll be, they'll continue to remove and replace those negative narratives. One narrative people can't use anymore that I won't miss is that the Seahawks haven't won anything. That was the biggest one and it can't be used anymore.

GoldenTate

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As stoker alluded to, it's gonna take years of success on the road before that narrative goes away.
Not true. I'd love to see what league average is all-time for road winning% in the regular season and postseason. 49ers and many other franchises are absolutely horrible on the road as well in their playoff history. Before the Harbaugh era, the 49ers were 2-10 on the road in the playoffs and 1-9 since 1970. That's worse than the Seahawks.

GoldenTate

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team has only managed a winning record on the road 3 times in team history (1984, 2005 & 2013)
And about 15 to 20 seasons where we were 4-4 or 3-5 on the road. League average road winning% is 42% since the start of the Super Bowl Era (1966). We are at 41% since 2002, so "slightly below average" is probably more applicable than "garbage". Also since 2002, 26 of the 32 NFL Teams have losing road records, just FYI.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. I'd love to see what league average is all-time for road winning% in the regular season and postseason. 49ers and many other franchises are absolutely horrible on the road as well in their playoff history. Before the Harbaugh era, the 49ers were 2-10 on the road in the playoffs and 1-9 since 1970. That's worse than the Seahawks.

I think that when you start winning championships, negative narratives either get removed, replaced or overlooked. It's a lot easier to focus on the negative with a team that's never won a championship. Hell, if you were to tell a 49er fan that fact about their playoff road record before Harbaugh, the first thing they'd come back at you with is "Five Lombardi trophies". Championships make people overlook a lot of things.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The turnaround came for me in PC's 1st year here. Back 2010 we just traded for Lynch and played a game in Chicago against a pretty good Bears team. Up until that point whenever this team played a 10 am road game against someone other then the Rams you could just chalk it up as a loss. However we ended up upsetting the Bears and from that point on we have played better on the road for the most part.