• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Watts New Contract

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Watt getting 16.6 annually I think we are a little bit clearer on what Suh is worth. If he was asking for more then that then I understand why the Lions are hesitant to offer him more. Maybe with the best D-lineman in the league getting a defined contract the Lions and Suh can work out a deal paying 14-17.

17 being an over pay, but you have to do that sometimes to keep a franchise player like him.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Called this one weeks ago. Regardless of position Watt would be paid like the top defender in the game, and now he is.

Suh's new deal will look similar.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Official deets btw

J.J. Watt*- DL -*Texans

Texans signed LE J.J. Watt to a six-year, $100 million extension, including $51.8 million guaranteed.

The new contract technically makes Watt the highest paid defender in league history, surpassing Bills DE Mario Williams' six-year, $96 million deal. Watt was already under Texans control through 2015 at a severely underpriced $8.88 million across two years, however, and it appears this extension was simply tacked onto the back end of his rookie deal. Watt spoke publicly about his desire for a long-term commitment from Houston in mid-August, which may have sparked discussions. Watt, 25, has 36.5 sacks and eight forced fumbles across his first three NFL seasons to go with an incredible 27 pass breakups, earning him the nickname "J.J. Swatt." Pro Football has graded Watt as its No. 1 overall 3-4 defensive end in back-to-back years. He's arguably -- or perhaps*inarguably*-- the best young player in football, regardless of position.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is no JJ Watt even if he didn't have the suspension and headcase issues. Apples and grapefruits. If Watt is worth $17MM Suh is worth no more than 13. Plain and simple.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is no JJ Watt even if he didn't have the suspension and headcase issues. Apples and grapefruits. If Watt is worth $17MM Suh is worth no more than 13. Plain and simple.

Says you. But he'll sign for more.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think that's what the current market dictates for perennial Pro Bowlers/1st team All Pros like JJ and Suh.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.

Watt is a DE- they get the bigger $$ than DTs, that's just the way it goes. I love Suh, he's a monster on the field, but his production doesn't match Watt's (not by a long shot).

Less production + less valuable position = less $$ on the contract. Very simple no matter how big of a boner one might have for the guy.

$13 million per has been stuck in my head since the beginning...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Watt is a DE- they get the bigger $$ than DTs, that's just the way it goes. I love Suh, he's a monster on the field, but his production doesn't match Watt's (not by a long shot).

Less production + less valuable position = less $$ on the contract. Very simple no matter how big of a boner one might have for the guy.

$13 million per has been stuck in my head since the beginning...

:agree:

I don't like giving DTs 8 figure salaries but, I wouldn't blink at 5 yr 60 million though. The new cap will allow us to make an exception. Not comfortable going much higher than that.

Fairly played well in the last preseason game and lost 10 pounds the last 2 weeks (although it does not look it to me he is reported at 305 now). We could leverage them both off of each other telling them that if one of them gets overpaid then the other will not be signed.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

I don't like giving DTs 8 figure salaries but, I wouldn't blink at 5 yr 60 million though. The new cap will allow us to make an exception. Not comfortable going much higher than that.

Fairly played well in the last preseason game and lost 10 pounds the last 2 weeks (although it does not look it to me he is reported at 305 now). We could leverage them both off of each other telling them that if one of them gets overpaid then the other will not be signed.

Somewhere between there and 5 years $70 million should be the right range, imo.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhere between there and 5 years $70 million should be the right range, imo.

70 mil over 5 years is too high. Suh should be around 10-12. 12 is the highest I could be comfortable with and not call him overpaid. 13 or 14 would be a bad move by the Lions. Watt money for Suh will doom a franchise.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of us agree. We want Suh back, but not at any cost. I'd be OK with $14MM per knowing that we have to overpay a bit for premium FA in the D until we start winning consistently. Saying we have to pay him the same as Watt because both are elite at their position doesn't make sense, though. Why not pay him like Peyton Manning using the same logic, then?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of us agree. We want Suh back, but not at any cost. I'd be OK with $14MM per knowing that we have to overpay a bit for premium FA in the D until we start winning consistently. Saying we have to pay him the same as Watt because both are elite at their position doesn't make sense, though. Why not pay him like Peyton Manning using the same logic, then?

Because his forehead isn't big enough to list all the side-effects of whichever drug is being advertised that week.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
70 mil over 5 years is too high. Suh should be around 10-12. 12 is the highest I could be comfortable with and not call him overpaid. 13 or 14 would be a bad move by the Lions. Watt money for Suh will doom a franchise.

Watt's deal averages almost $17 million per year, so $13 to $14 isn't "Watt money."

Additionally, the salary cap is expected to jump almost $30 million over the next two years, so contracts in general will be on the rise, regardless of position. $12 million per year this year will have the same cap impact as $15 would in 2016 if the cap rises as expected...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Additionally, the salary cap is expected to jump almost $30 million over the next two years, so contracts in general will be on the rise, regardless of position. $12 million per year this year will have the same cap impact as $15 would in 2016 if the cap rises as expected...
Do u have a link to an article talking about this big of an increase? I haven't heard it will jump that high. That seems crazy fucking excessive.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do u have a link to an article talking about this big of an increase? I haven't heard it will jump that high. That seems crazy fucking excessive.

I'll see if I can find it again.

The cap $$ is tied to the TV deals, which just got re-upped for a lot more $$ than the previous deal. It's written into the CBA, so their projections should be pretty close to accurate on that one...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tpaul will have to look. After going through 3 pages and no dice... all him.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AMEN. There isn't a chance in a hell Suh is worth anywhere near JJ Watt. Watt's contract should put an end to the talk of Suh getting paid anywhere near the highest paid defensive player, as it is now Watt.

Those saying JJ Watt is a DE have to remember, he is a DE in a 3-4 defense. He also plays many snaps a game as a DT, as Houston switches it up (as I stated -- the year he has 20 sacks -- over half were lined up as a DT).

Watt is in a class of his own on the Defensive Line. There are others who are just as good at getting to the QB and others who are just as good against the run -- As far as overall play though -- he is on another level, as he is one of the best at both rushing the QB and against the run and this is without adding in the absolute absurd amount of passes he knocks down.

If Watt is worth 16.6 -- Suh shouldn't get anymore than 13 a year. Anything more than that -- I wish him luck with his next team. 5 for 60 would be optimal contract though, IMO.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with letting him walk if I knew Mayhew was able to get a top tier CB with that money. Since I truly have no faith in Mayhew might as well overpay for Suh, because I love watching him play.

We overpay Stafford more!