• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Was Miami invited to join the SEC?

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't recall if the SEC ever invited Miami to join, back when they made the decision to join the Big East. Does anyone (preferably a Hurricane fan) know the sticky on this?

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't believe so.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. At the time, the SEC already had television sets in Florida thanks to the Gators, and they wanted the TV's in South Carolina + Arkansas. They flirted with Florida State, but again, that was an almost redundant market. The ACC at the time had no Florida presence and the Noles were a good fit for them, but i also don't know if the ACC approached Miami back then, because at that time NOBODY wanted anything to do with those badasses.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't recall if the SEC ever invited Miami to join, back when they made the decision to join the Big East. Does anyone (preferably a Hurricane fan) know the sticky on this?
-
FSU was invited. Bowden had a pretty infamous take on that. Miami was never offered

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida State or Miami in the SEC would be amazing. Boot Mizzou and invite either of them.

metal_frk_334

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I recall a standing understanding at the time that the SEC wouldn't bring in another Florida school

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall a standing understanding at the time that the SEC wouldn't bring in another Florida school
-
Invite was way before that talk. Florida was just becoming a real team back then. Spurrier started in 1990. Florida was on probation or just coming off of it. Looks like Miami was actually on the wish list.

1990-1991 SEC Expansion - Arkansas & South Carolina join Southeastern Conference | Saturday Down South

that is a nice overview of the situation at the time. SEC ended up settling on Ark and South Carolina. Neither were its first choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Florida would have shit a brick. No, 2 bricks.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Florida would have shit a brick. No, 2 bricks.
-
I think you all are over estimating the power of Florida at the time. They were where Oregon was about 5 yrs ago. So much has changed since then. SEC wanted Texas and A&M first. Settled on Ark. Since the Texas schools were off limits due to political issues SEC turned east to FSU and Miami. This was when FSU was at the height of their run. Miami was a major power. South Carolina was New Mexico

hurricane 2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the rumor, along with FSU...don't know what happened, some people say Miami and FSU will be a package deal to any conference.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Bowden was on local radio two years ago and he said that he wanted to join the SEC but Florida vetoed them. When that happened they joined the ACC and in this case I believe Bobby over any press reports.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Bowden was on local radio two years ago and he said that he wanted to join the SEC but Florida vetoed them. When that happened they joined the ACC and in this case I believe Bobby over any press reports.
-
So do I..

The major roadblock was scheduling. On August 3, Bobby Bowden admitted to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “I like to win games, and I can’t think of a tougher place to do that than the SEC.” Under the proposed division alignment, Florida State would face Florida, Auburn and Alabama every year, which raised objections from FSU Athletic Director Bob Goin. “Most conferences have got two really strong programs,” Bowden continued, “but top to bottom there isn’t one close to the SEC.”

His 1990 comments imply something different, but how knows.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC gonna end up 30 teams. Hell, just make the new playoff system "SEC postseason championship series".

Disclaimer:I love the sec, but too many teams are wanting to join.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. At the time, the SEC already had television sets in Florida thanks to the Gators, and they wanted the TV's in South Carolina + Arkansas. They flirted with Florida State, but again, that was an almost redundant market. The ACC at the time had no Florida presence and the Noles were a good fit for them, but i also don't know if the ACC approached Miami back then, because at that time NOBODY wanted anything to do with those badasses.

^this is true...and Miami felt like they didn't need the SEC when they were on top of the world.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-
So do I..

The major roadblock was scheduling. On August 3, Bobby Bowden admitted to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “I like to win games, and I can’t think of a tougher place to do that than the SEC.” Under the proposed division alignment, Florida State would face Florida, Auburn and Alabama every year, which raised objections from FSU Athletic Director Bob Goin. “Most conferences have got two really strong programs,” Bowden continued, “but top to bottom there isn’t one close to the SEC.”

His 1990 comments imply something different, but how knows.

I would say with Bobby there is any element of truth to both accounts. Like anything else, there are many sides to the story. Bowden is a storyteller, and I mean that in a good way, I think his version of events changes slightly with whatever story his is trying to tell, nothing wrong with that, we all do it to some extent. I agree with Codaxx though that back when expansion was under consideration, Florida did not have enough pull to veto Florida St, even though I'm sure they voiced concerns.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU was offered a spot in the SEC and at that time Bowden just started the "Dynasty". He did not want to join, but the FSU AD really did not want to join. THen after being in the ACC for a few years every FSU person wanted in the SEC and have been blocked ever since. Even Slive stated when their last expansion came up that any team that was joining would need a UNANIMOUS VOTE for it to happen. FSU cannot get the unanimous vote due to USCe and UF. I would love to be in the SEC, but what can you do?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^this is true...and Miami felt like they didn't need the SEC when they were on top of the world.
-
this is not meant to slam South Carolina, but nobody was clamoring to get South Carolina. They were a wretched program at the time. It has been a great success. Proving taking the moral ground is not the only path.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
back during the expansion the SEC wasn't the "premiere" conference, Hell, was there really a premiere conference like they get hyped today? SEC dominance didn't really start happening until the mid-late 90s when Florida/Tennessee started making appearances in the NCG, and then team SEC arrived in mid 2000's. So back in the day I am sure Miami saw no reason to join the SEC because it wasn't any better than any other conference.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schiller, who left the SEC to become the executive director of the United States Olympic Committee and would later serve as president of Turner Sports and CEO of YankeeNets (going from working for Ted Turner to George Steinbrenner), said Texas had virtually agreed to become an SEC member. Arkansas and Texas would join the SEC from the Western side and South Carolina and either Florida State, Miami or Virginia Tech would enter from the East.
Paul Finebaum Column Head

"The one that made the most sense was Texas," Schiller said. "I spent some time with DeLoss Dodds (the Texas athletic director) and he really wanted to join the conference."

Done deal. Everything agreed to but the name on the dotted line. Then, it all came apart.

"The state legislature (in Texas) somehow got wind of it through Texas A&M and said we had to bring in both schools or we couldn't take Texas," Schiller said.

The SEC didn't want A&M. Ultimately, the two Texas schools would leave the Southwest Conference and join the Big 12.

The scramble on the other side of the league was just as furious. Schiller remembers Vince Dooley of Georgia was pushing for Georgia Tech. At Florida, officials were pushing for FSU and Miami.

"They felt it was the only way to control recruiting," Schiller said. "We liked Miami, but passed because they didn't have a complete commitment to all their programs. Tulane was passed for the same reasons."

Schiller, who lives in New York and is the chairman and CEO of GlobalOptions Group, an integrated risk management firm, said Virginia Tech simply wasn't a good fit from a geographic standpoint.

Schiller was personally high on Florida State, but left for the USOC before the deal could be consummated. In July of 1990, Arkansas ended its 76-year affiliation with the Southwest Conference to join the SEC. South Carolina would join a few weeks later, but only after a heated courtship pitting the ACC vs. the SEC for Florida State. To this day, many still blame Roy Kramer, Schiller's successor, for blowing the talks with FSU.