• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Walt Jocketty says Dusty will be back

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say we can retire this thread. It serves no other purpose.

Except that it is evidence of the dreaded "Vote of Confidence".

Never fails to be the death knell of a coach.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bryan Price will be the next manager of the Cincinnati Reds. Don't know it for a fact but I have a hunch this is how this will play out. I am not sure how I would feel about that. I do know he has gotten everything you could ask for out of a pitching staff.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bryan Price will be the next manager of the Cincinnati Reds. Don't know it for a fact but I have a hunch this is how this will play out. I am not sure how I would feel about that. I do know he has gotten everything you could ask for out of a pitching staff.

I agree with you. I think his record speaks for itself in fixing pitching staffs for multiple teams. The guy KNOWS how to coach pitchers. Does he know how to coach PLAYERS? Does he know the ins and outs of baseball 101 strategy? Does he emphasize fundamentals? How will he address the swingaholic plate approach that Dusty and Brook Jacoby perpetuated? Who will he hire to fill out his bench staff? Most importantly, how is he going to motivate this sorry bunch so something like this season doesn't repeat itself?

Basically, I would just kind of like to know more about him. I know he's widely regarded as one of the best manager candidates in the major leagues right now, so he obviously must have more going for him than just his success with pitchers. But I'd like more information on what his philosophy is.

But the factors I listed above really should be questions that are asked of EVERY candidate. I'm sure the Reds front office will be looking hard at the areas where Dusty fell short. Whoever the successor is will likely be strong in those areas.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peter Principle ? If Price is the best pitching coach in the game, why give him a job he had no experience at ? Doesn't that hurt you 2 places ? Maybe more...if he's a candidate interviewed, and another guy is chosen, how would that effect Prices chances of staying as pitching coach under a guy that might feel like Price is gunning for his job ?

I would exercise caution there. I would rather a manager be hired and Price be kept as pitching coach. IMO, 3b coach Mark Berry is a nice guy that needs a job, but is a fraud as a base coach. Billy Hatcher again, a nice guy, but no one on this team responsible for baserunning or hitting should survive. Jacoby is a no brainer to be gone. If the new guy needs help with coaches, which I doubt, there are plenty of Reds that would apply- that Dusty wouldn't allow to do much while he was in charge- Eric Davis, Barry Larkin, George Foster, Mario Soto, Tom Browning, Ron Oester, and a whole lot more.

It's always nice dream for fans if old Reds are in the dugout, but frankly, since the BRM, and a brief 90's success, the Reds don't have a legacy to inherit. It may make more sense to go with a Cincinnati family loyal guy like David Bell if he's deemed up to the job ( who would be more receptive to legacy coaches) or go completely outside for a guy with a complete crew in tow.

I think the decision is going to depend on 2-3 things- what the Reds think they need in a manager ( a better tactician and teacher or a disciplinarian and hard line winner), and what ELSE they think they need...a hitting coach, a new player or two to add ( or to replace ), and WHO is interested.

Larkin might be interested, but is he qualified ? Bell is technically qualified but can he command and lead this roster ? Riggleman has experience, but not with a real contender, and he quit on duty because he demanded a contract negotiation in season with the Nats and was rebuffed for Davey Johnson. What would a hardcore enema like Oester do to sensitives like Votto and Bruce ? Lloyd McClendon was a Red for a minute, as was Hal McRae, both ex-managers that had questionable leadership qualities. Jim Tracy is a fine baseball man. Delino Deshields is a young minor league manager in the Reds system, and Corky Miller is going to be looking for a job soon if you just want to shake the tree.

No one mentioned Cal Ripken, Jr., who was a leader but hasn't managed, but his dad did, and is a fundamentals first intelligent Hall of Famer, brought up in the Orioles legacy of pitching, D and power with no excuse dugout staffs. Just a thought.

The Reds are close. Lots of people will be interested in that job.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the next manager must be a teacher, a leader, and a man who instills accountability in every player on that roster. Cal Ripken and Barry Larkin were 2 very intelligent players who had those qualities. No matter who is chosen, this is an epic decision for this franchise because the talent to win it all is here now and has been for 2 years. The missing piece to this puzzle is who is in the club house and maybe a good right handed bat.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND HERE IS WHY it won't be Tony LaRussa.

C Trent Rosecrans talked to Mumbles about the job:

Here's what T T T had to say:

“It’s a two-headed sword,” La Russa said Friday afternoon when asked if he had any interest in the Reds opening, “I’m not going manage again and the last time I saw Walt, he told me, ‘I’ve had more than enough of you.’”

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would the Reds fan base handle a BP for Molina trade ?

Dustbag for Drunk Tony wouldn't be much different to sell.

We're just reduced to guessing at names like everyone else. It's undoubtedly down Walt's list, but how we buy into the hire will factor into the decision. After all, after the manager gets fired, everyone turns to look at the GM. At least Walt has a sense of urgency, and had been down this road to wind up in the World Series before. His M-O has been with experienced managers though...and managers that were on the same page. Dusty was experienced, but only had one page- his own.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bronson Arroyo on pitching Coach Price:

His reputation precedes him," said Reds starter Bronson Arroyo, who will be a free agent this winter. "I think he'd do a hell of a job. He's as organized and punctual as anybody I've ever seen in this game."

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe if Price doesn't get the job in Cincy, he will be the next manager of the Seattle Mariners. I would rather give him the job than see him leave. Been a heck of an asset for the pitching staff. Lets face it, a 14 year old could manage as good as DustMop, so Price may be the logical move.