• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wacha or Abreu?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got offered Michael Wacha for Jose Daniel Abreu...

Here's my roster: 10 team 6 keeper league

C- McCann
1B- Posey
2B- Cano
3B- Seager
SS- Andrus
IF- Abreu
IF- Gyorko
OF- Myers
OF- Cespedes
OF- Cruz
OF- Yelich
UTIL- Howard
UTIL- Crawford
Bench- Guerrero, Hart and Smoak

SP's: Kershaw, Lee, Fernandez, Wilson, Burnett, E. Santana, Nova, Papelbon, Balfour, Clippard, De La Rosa, Hawkins.

Also got offered Kendrick, Belt and Rodney for Gyorko and Hart. I'm thinking if I accept the Wacha deal it would make sense to accept this one as well.

Thoughts?

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C- McCann
1B- Posey
2B- Cano
3B- Seager
SS- Andrus
IF- Abreu
IF- Gyorko
OF- Myers
OF- Cespedes
OF- Cruz
OF- Yelich
UTIL- Howard
UTIL- Crawford

SP's: Kershaw, Lee, Fernandez, Wilson, Burnett, E. Santana, Nova, Papelbon, Balfour, Clippard, De La Rosa, Hawkins.

Also got offered Kendrick, Belt and Rodney for Gyorko and Hart. I'm thinking if I accept the Wacha deal it would make sense to accept this one as well.

Thoughts?

If it were just the first deal, no way would I do it. Your UTIL and bench spots are a little scary. The combo of both, with Belt replacing Abreu is a little more appealing. Still, that's a pretty good pitching staff already. Do you really have a need to do it?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it were just the first deal, no way would I do it. Your UTIL and bench spots are a little scary. The combo of both, with Belt replacing Abreu is a little more appealing. Still, that's a pretty good pitching staff already. Do you really have a need to do it?

almost ditto... with the other deal in place, I say it's a no brainer... I'd move from Abreu to Belt easily, and the prospects of Gyorko's power over Kendrick's overall good-ness, makes these two deals very good for your team.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my bad... you're losing Gyorko... still, doesn't make me change my mind about Belt/Abreu and adding Wacha.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's no need for me to do it, but pitching depth is really shallow this year so I feel like now would be a good time to add some before the season starts with how thinned out it is.

Basically if I did both:

Gain: Belt and Kendrick
Lose: Abreu, Gyorko and Hart = slightly weaker offense

Gain: Wacha and Rodney without losing any pitchers. = much improved pitching

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A rotation of Kershaw, Lee, Fernandez, Wacha, Wilson, Burnett, and fillers with Papelbon, Rodney, Balfour and Hawkins as my closers would be enticing.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'd take more than Wacha to get Abreu away from me. I see him killing it on the SouthSide. Not all that big on Wacha to be honest.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A rotation of Kershaw, Lee, Fernandez, Wacha, Wilson, Burnett, and fillers with Papelbon, Rodney, Balfour and Hawkins as my closers would be enticing.

Ok, I think you just talked yourself into it. ;)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, didn't see the keeper part. But with only six... I just don't see MW going much more than 170 innings this year. Long term though....

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am against these trades... you are giving up too much HRs and too much HR potential... I am not high on kendrick...

Wacha is good, and could get better, but he is still unproven enough that the risks of improving pitching and hurting offense is not a good enough payout...

Also, how many pitchers do you start?? that is a huge factor...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends entirely on the scoring format.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
H2H each category 6x6.

7 pitchers start with 2 RP's.

AVG, TB, H, HR, RBI, SB and ERA, WHIP, W's, K's, QS, and Saves.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd do em both. . But be advised. . My advice is totally biased based on me trusting a young pitcher who's shown signs of greatness over a young hitter who has shown signs of greatness. It always seems to me that young hitters are always easier to figure out, and get out, than pitchers are to figure out and hit.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the more i look at these trades the more unsure i am about doing the trade or not...

You have a very subpar 10 owner fantasy league offense, and a great top 3 SP where you start only 7 pitchers....

Why I would not make the trade:

With only starting 7 pitchers and with 3 great
A starters, you are still likely going to start 2 closers... therefore you would only need 2 more pitchers to start, even if your other starters struggle, in a 10 team league the pitching options in the free agent wire will be good enough to fill in if needed...
-so i dont see wacha to be helpful enough to compensate for losing all those HRs...

Also to have belt and Posey both playing first base you will have 2 first baseman that will likely not even reach 150 games this season...

Reason I would make the trade:

Forget all i written on top...
Because your offense is so bad in a 10 team league, you need to guarantee as many points as possible... Making this trade will make a strong rotation even better, and possibly even make it unstoppable... Then you can rearrange your offense via trades or Free agency to compete in other weaker categories(like BA and SB)...

So the real question is How much do you like your offense, IF you think you can compete with this offense then dont make the trades, if you think you cant compete with this offense then make the trades...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C- McCann
1B- Posey
2B- Cano
3B- Seager
SS- Andrus
IF- Abreu
IF- Gyorko
OF- Myers
OF- Cespedes
OF- Cruz
OF- Yelich
UTIL- Howard
UTIL- Crawford

Thoughts?

I don't think your offense is bad, you have a solid group and a dominant front side of the rotation. I would do these deals if you were in a points league, but not in your 6x6 format. Here is why:

With TB as your 6th hitting category, offensive counting stats are skewed heavily toward power hitters. In order to get Wacha (who I love) you are essentially giving away 3 good power bats and getting back 2 good contact hitters. Wacha clearly helps your pitching staff a great deal, but you can still find an impact arm if you are active early on. Giving up all those HRs and TBs is not going to help you. The only way these deals pan out is if Hart is unable to produce and/or stay healthy and Abreu busts.

I would hold tight and look to the waiver wire to grab an upside arm or two. Guys like Yordano Ventura, James Paxton, Erasmo Ramirez, and Drew Hutchison could all be available, among others.

Jorge De la Rosa is not somebody I would trust either. He has 2 starts next week, but I would not allow him anywhere near my roster in a category league. His numbers last year were unrepeatable and he will destroy your ratios.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is safe to drop Alex Guerrero also. He is third on the Dodgers 2B depth chart behind Gordon and Turner.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think your offense is bad, you have a solid group and a dominant front side of the rotation. I would do these deals if you were in a points league, but not in your 6x6 format. Here is why:

With TB as your 6th hitting category, offensive counting stats are skewed heavily toward power hitters. In order to get Wacha (who I love) you are essentially giving away 3 good power bats and getting back 2 good contact hitters. Wacha clearly helps your pitching staff a great deal, but you can still find an impact arm if you are active early on. Giving up all those HRs and TBs is not going to help you. The only way these deals pan out is if Hart is unable to produce and/or stay healthy and Abreu busts.

I would hold tight and look to the waiver wire to grab an upside arm or two. Guys like Yordano Ventura, James Paxton, Erasmo Ramirez, and Drew Hutchison could all be available, among others.

Jorge De la Rosa is not somebody I would trust either. He has 2 starts next week, but I would not allow him anywhere near my roster in a category league. His numbers last year were unrepeatable and he will destroy your ratios.

Ventura is the obvious grab, but I loves me some Erasmo. Dude has been totally overlooked at this point.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Erasmo....
I wish I'd remembered your weak spot for him earlier ;)

I wouldn't make the deal either. It's a great offer: Wacha for Abreu. The other owner obviously values Abreu greatly. I just don't think it's a match for your team. The other deal doesn't interest me: kendrick, rodney aren't appealing to me.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Erasmo....
I wish I'd remembered your weak spot for him earlier ;)

I wouldn't make the deal either. It's a great offer: Wacha for Abreu. The other owner obviously values Abreu greatly. I just don't think it's a match for your team. The other deal doesn't interest me: kendrick, rodney aren't appealing to me.

Yeah, because you guys really need to trade more often.