• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Voynov will probably not be a King again.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever they decide I hope the do it quickly. Kings already had one year not knowing what their cap was.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm a bit optimistic but I think the year served for Voynov being suspended while the legal process worked itself out will be considered time served.

While I think DV is serious, I also think he has paid his penance to the NHL by missing out on playing a season. Something to consider also is does this one lost year count towards his UFA status? If not, he will be a GIII UFA at age 30 instead of 29. Not that big a deal because he will still be in his prime, but it definitely takes one year off his earnings potential. I would not be surprised to see this come up at a later date (if it's been addressed in the CBA, I'll find it and update).

We've seen lots of DV associated athletes in all sports (those who have been accused, those who have been convicted) come back and play in their respective sports. If Voynov does his time and keeps his nose clean I don't see why he wouldn't be back in LA.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to get technical here, but he never pleaded Guilty - he pleaded No Contest. In the public's eye it's the same thing, in the legal eye it is not and each one carries different ramifications.

And it's not like he's going to just be fine now, I'm sure when they go to visiting arenas and whatnot he will hear it from the fans. This won't be an easy road for him either, and it won't become quiet for a long time.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voynov may get deported, may be banned from the NHL, may get traded, but I think he will be playing for the Kings.
My reasons
I think if his defense thought he would get deported we would have seen a trial. They may have already been working on a deal or they feel that his odds are very good that ICE will not take up his case.
I think the NHLPA will step in if the NHL tries to ban him. He has already served the longest suspension ever. He may get some games without pay but not a ban.
Kings won't trade him. They NEED a 2/3/4 defenseman. Hey Voynov is exactly what they need. If they trade him the team they trade him to is not going to have an extra Dman of his ability. So the only trade would be a worse Dman coming back. Kings want to make the playoffs and paying extra to get worse is not part of that plan.
That means biting the PR bullet and trying to put spin on the problem.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voynov may get deported, may be banned from the NHL, may get traded, but I think he will be playing for the Kings.
My reasons
I think if his defense thought he would get deported we would have seen a trial. They may have already been working on a deal or they feel that his odds are very good that ICE will not take up his case.
I think the NHLPA will step in if the NHL tries to ban him. He has already served the longest suspension ever. He may get some games without pay but not a ban.
Kings won't trade him. They NEED a 2/3/4 defenseman. Hey Voynov is exactly what they need. If they trade him the team they trade him to is not going to have an extra Dman of his ability. So the only trade would be a worse Dman coming back. Kings want to make the playoffs and paying extra to get worse is not part of that plan.
That means biting the PR bullet and trying to put spin on the problem.

I don't think deportation was ever on the table, I think that was just media spin. No way Voynov gets deported after being a first time offender after all the other crap that happens here sets the example.

You seen the immigration policies in this country, specifically in CA? It's a fucking joke. No reason why felonious, multiple-conviction illegals/non-citizens should be here yet here they are committing murders in Santa Maria and San Francisco. The dude in Santa Maria was arrested 6 times in the last 15 months, the last time for meth, and released. WTF????

Our immigration policies are way too lax, people from other countries look at us and laugh. Try half the shit illegals do here and it isn't going to fly elsewhere, our US citizen asses will be locked out, not get a red carpet rolled out welcoming us in. Anyway....rant over.

The last part of your quote nails it, the Kings cannot go into a season with 2/3/6/8/27 as the core of the defense. Broken down that is a 3rd/3rd/2nd/1st/2nd-3rd defender. Not good enough, especially in the West. With Voynov in the mix that now becomes 2/3/6/8/26/27 or 3rd/3rd/2nd/1st/2nd/2nd-3rd defender.

Much better, and that can be augmented with one of McBain or Forbert in limited minutes and role. I would prefer to have a solid SAH defender like Mitchell or Scuderi were but none are really available except Volchenkov, and the Kings don't have the money for that.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voynov will play and should play for the Kings this year. The guy was punished, served his time and now comes out with a chance to make a living according to his training, background and talent, showing he won't ever do it again--just like every other legally employed person in this country.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect Voynov to be banned. All I can say is this, as a fan I wouldn't want him on my team. Just like I wouldn't want Ray Rice on my team. I found it interesting that ESPN talked a bit about the Stoll signing the day it happened & it wasn't positive. I can't imagine ownership & management of the Kings are happy with Voynov, Stoll & Richards. The fact they had more than 90 points last season is impressive with everything that happened.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Ray Rice thing really brought DV to the forefront, but guys who have committed crimes have been allowed to play in the league after doing their societal duties from those crimes - Heatley comes to mind immediately, and how can we forget Todd Bertuzzi? He ended a guy's career and permanently injured him. If that guy can still play I don't see why Voynov can't.

He shouldn't hit a woman, but his crime is no different - it's a crime - and he shouldn't be permanently vilified for it.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said I don't expect Voynov to be banned. However & I'm only speaking for myself here, I wouldn't want Voynov on my team.
I think that is really the point that I am trying to make. Hockey is a business and Voynov playing for the Kings is a good business decision. That said I don't think that it is a good PR decision. Would I want Bertuzzi aging for the Kings? I don't care how good he is the answer is no. Same goes for Heatley. But winning puts buts in the seats. We may not like who's on the team, but we want the team to win. And in this business, winning is what counts.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is really the point that I am trying to make. Hockey is a business and Voynov playing for the Kings is a good business decision. That said I don't think that it is a good PR decision. Would I want Bertuzzi aging for the Kings? I don't care how good he is the answer is no. Same goes for Heatley. But winning puts buts in the seats. We may not like who's on the team, but we want the team to win. And in this business, winning is what counts.

For some teams winning is all that matters. The Rangers signing of Stoll says a lot about them in my book. Winning at all costs isn't a good thing. Character should matter. This is why I don't expect Voynov to be a King this season.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voynov out of county jail into ICE jail(?)
Voynov to get immigration hearing. That could mean he is gone. Even for a misdermeanor in DV most get deported if ICe picks up the case.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after reading a bunch of "news" it does not look good for Slava. ICE would not set bail. If they don't ever set bail he could rot in jail for months before a court date. If the do set bail it could be greater than a year before a court date. And while on bail, if he leaves the country, he won't be let back in.
Either the Kings or the NHL will have to suspend him until his status is known, then the league will report how much longer he will have to sit.
Voynov may be in the KHL next year.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's extremely baffling that here in CA 2 illegal immigrants - they don't even have Visas of any type - are either arrested, deported multiple times, or both are set free to roam and end up murdering 2 people but Voynov probably didn't even get to go off the jail premises before an ICE van picked him up.

Hypocritical to say the least that they go after a guy who actually contributes a significant amount of his money into the state tax system but these two felons who are simply drains on the system are not picked up and end up killing people.

You can bet his attorney will use the Steinle case as ammo to keep him here and honestly, I can't see him being deported. He makes way too much money to throw out of the country for CA.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's extremely baffling that here in CA 2 illegal immigrants - they don't even have Visas of any type - are either arrested, deported multiple times, or both are set free to roam and end up murdering 2 people but Voynov probably didn't even get to go off the jail premises before an ICE van picked him up.

Hypocritical to say the least that they go after a guy who actually contributes a significant amount of his money into the state tax system but these two felons who are simply drains on the system are not picked up and end up killing people.

You can bet his attorney will use the Steinle case as ammo to keep him here and honestly, I can't see him being deported. He makes way too much money to throw out of the country for CA.

Totally agree puck. I do believe that they are trying to make an example out of him.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he wasn't released on the 21st, I was thinking he might be on ICE hold.
Kings still in limbo. Hopefully this won't affect the Kopitar contract

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here is the 64 thousand dollar question. Let's say ICE releases him OHR or bail. With the case pending and months away, does he play? He's paid his debt for domestic, he hasn't been found in violation of his visa. So what's to keep him from playing, legally speaking while his case winds its way through ICE?

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here is the 64 thousand dollar question. Let's say ICE releases him OHR or bail. With the case pending and months away, does he play? He's paid his debt for domestic, he hasn't been found in violation of his visa. So what's to keep him from playing, legally speaking while his case winds its way through ICE?
Other than if he leaves the USA not much I guess.
I think the league will suspend him for PR reasons.
It is not like he is Patrick Kane and can buy his way out.