• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Votto Looking Better

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is promising because this team can't compete without a productive and healthy Joey Votto.

Reds manager Bryan Price delivered another positive update Thursday on the status of first baseman Joey Votto, who missed 100 games last season with a distal strain of his left quadriceps.
Votto has been monitored by Reds strength and conditioning coach Sean Marohn during the offseason.
“The last report when Sean was up in Toronto earlier this month was very, very good,” Price said. “The strength was outstanding, the stamina was good and the agility. Right now, we're looking to hit the ground running when Joey gets to Goodyear and being able to see with our own eyes where he's at. I'm confident that he's going to be ready to go.”Votto, who is a career .310 hitter, batted just .255 with six home runs, 16 doubles and 23 RBI in 62 games in 2014.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds came out with a lot of positive stuff today, which is all part of getting the fans excited -- so they will buy tickets.

Still, I see no reason Votto can't be an all-star hitter again.

BTW, Marty B. was quoted on MLB-TV last night during the runup to the Nasty Boys feature ... Marty says he sees no way the Reds will try to sign Cueto and might even deal him at the deadline.

Marty knows what? Well, he does talk to the front office.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, lets hope Votto is all better. The Reds need him badly.

Personally, I see no reason a guy making a quarter billion dollar contract, that can walk unimpeded and isn't in the hospital or on a minor league rehab stint should be away from the team for weeks at a time. Jay Bruce had his worst season, being off 3 weeks for basically the same injury Votto missed the majority of 2 seasons for, but he did find his very well paid ass at work every day. Votto somehow, just couldn't do that. I have a tough time swallowing that as a matter of principle.

The Reds may not be able to pursue Cueto, who by recent standards should be "worth" upwards of $175-200 Million. Unfortunately, Mr. Votto's contract is the mass the Reds payroll will orbit for about the next 10 years. I'm ok with that, if the guy plays 150 games a year and does a reasonable job. If he's going to stay at home in a dark room for 100 games a year, I'd rather find a way to cash some insurance and move on, and possibly use that cash to sign the best Reds pitcher in a couple decades.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way the Reds will be able to afford Cueto. They'll either ride him to the playoffs or deal him at the trade deadline. They'd be foolish not to. He will be asking for Scherzer money, which is well above the Reds' feasible bargaining line.

Tough to buy into anything the Reds say about Votto. He was supposed to be good to go last year, and obviously he wasn't. Forgive my lack of confidence given this medical staff's sterling record...

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Votto will be "good to go" as long as he says he is. When his performance fades, we will learn about the "ongoing" medical issues that have never adequately healed since 2012.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Votto's injury is between his ears, unfortunately.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope he ready to play. Probably is to much to ask, but sure would be nice to see him return to his MVP form. Or at least close.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a point Mr. Votto and/or the Reds might have not fully understood is, even if he played compromised last year, and say he hit .255 with 12 HR and 65 RBI, he would have still drawn walks, and been far more benefit to the other hitters around him in the lineup than say, Santiago, or even Pena. The Reds would have scored more runs with the anemic Votto we saw, in the lineup for 140 games than Pena, Hannahan, Santiago and Lutz combined for in his absence, IMO.

There is also the fact that he's now one of the highest paid players in MLB, the all time highest paid Red, and personally, I think showing up counts, even if you can't play. I think someone needs to explain to Joey that great wealth should also come with great responsibility. I think the Reds have made it far too easy for Joey to be absent without real tangible reasons, and spoken too much for Joey without saying anything...I think it's time Joey should either make his own excuses for himself, or better, play enough to not need them.

Votto is past 30 years old. Legitimately, a 1b can run like a one legged circus elephant and still drive in 90 runs. I don't expect another MVP season, but I believe he can consistently hit ,280 or above, and hit 20 HR/yr. in a shoebox like GABP. How many runs he drives in, is largely a factor of who's on and who is in the on deck circle,when he's up. Warning track power Brandon Phillips drove in 100 runs when he had the top 2 OBP players in front of him, and Jay Bruce clubbing 30 HR behind him, even though I can't remember the last time someone hit .260 with 18 HR and not many more doubles than that topped 100 RBI.. The problem with paying someone $220 Million is, he has to be an MVP every year to be worth that much- it isn't fair to him for fans to expect that, but he also has to expect fans to have those expectations.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's the Reds medical staff making the call, I'll believe it when I see it