• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vote for Rock and Roll HOF

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nirvana brought focus to grunge that fought so hard against rap taking over rock and roll.
Kiss
Yes
Linda Ronstadt did more for women in rock than most.

Sorry no deep purple for me, one hit wonders and music for one hitters does not make them deserving.

When they start the rap hall of fame, put the rappers in. This is the rock and roll hall of fame. It should be more for how the performers defined the next generation and since they wait so fucking long to enshrine them, we see the effects.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nirvana- era-defining rock band
NWA- Changed the course of rap music and popular culture at large
The Replacements- arguably the most influential America Rock band of the past 30 years.
Yes-Some of the best rock albums of alltime (imo)

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nirvana brought focus to grunge that fought so hard against rap taking over rock and roll.
Kiss
Yes
Linda Ronstadt did more for women in rock than most.

Sorry no deep purple for me, one hit wonders and music for one hitters does not make them deserving.

When they start the rap hall of fame, put the rappers in. This is the rock and roll hall of fame. It should be more for how the performers defined the next generation and since they wait so fucking long to enshrine them, we see the effects.

Say what? Deep Purple had many hits, Hush, Highway Star, My Woman From Tokyo, Smoke on the Water just to name the most known. They made the charts before Zeppelin or Sabbath ever released a song...

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming from a Detroit fan, the Kiss comment is interesting... I don't think they ever intended on writing good music. As they said, they only wanted to Rock & Roll - and party. And, they certainly accomplished that. I think they absolutely deserve to be in the HOF. They have lasted 40 years (fitting that this year is their 40th!) - they have done more for the Rock industry that 80% of the band already inducted - and when you look back at their volume of work, they have a ton of 'catchy' songs that everyone knows. And, the fact that Rush used to open for Kiss (introducing them to the US - via Detroit), is just cool...

Your following Nivana comment is alsot interesting, given you previous Kiss comment. Their music is also garbage, but it had the same effect as Kiss in the 70's and 80's. I'd like to vote for them for bringing punk rock back to the mainstream, but only three albums in six years should keep them out.

And, Deep Purple should be an absolute. They pioneered Hark Rock in the 60's & 70's with Sabbath & Zeppelin.... And, they just released their 20th album!

I do agree the HOF is a joke - I still do not understand how Rap and Pop is allowed. That is (should be)the exact opposite of what Rock & Roll is all about....

Kiss's world wide popularity can't be denied. That's why they deserve to be in... sort of like Abba. I happen to think Nirvana's music is great. They just washed away all of the horrendous hair/party bands that dominated the 80s. But that's just a matter of taste. Everything about Kiss just screamed derivative and generic to me. How many mindless songs does one need about partying ? I always felt pretty much the same way about Van Halen, but EVH was their saving grace. Maybe if I was 12 when Kiss hit the scene they would have appealed to me, but I was 20. I don't mean to pee in anyone's Cheerios, though. That's why I don't post much in the music threads.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nirvana, Kiss among Rock Hall nominees

You can vote at USAToday (pick up to five).

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Chic
Deep Purple
Peter Gabriel
Hall & Oates
Kiss
LL Cool J
The Meters
Nirvana
NWA
The Replacements
Linda Ronstadt
Cat Stevens
Link Wray
YES
The Zombies

I'll vote for the obvious: Deep Purple, Peter Gabriel, KISS, YES -and I'll wonder how they are not already in...

I'll also laugh at half of the other candidates.

It still makes me so sad that this HOF is such a joke (and dump). If it weren't in such a nice location, it would not be worth the trip...
-------
I voted for longevity:

Hall & Oates
Yes
Kiss
Linda Ronstadt
Peter Gabriel

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what? Deep Purple had many hits, Hush, Highway Star, My Woman From Tokyo, Smoke on the Water just to name the most known. They made the charts before Zeppelin or Sabbath ever released a song...
-------
My biggest issue for not including Deep Purple is they really didn't produce anything phenomonal after Machine Head. Yeah, they put out albums bit they never sold after '72 tat well. Kiss/Ronstadt/Gabrie/Yes even Hall & Oates have careers that span more than a handfull of years.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
My biggest issue for not including Deep Purple is they really didn't produce anything phenomonal after Machine Head. Yeah, they put out albums bit they never sold after '72 tat well. Kiss/Ronstadt/Gabrie/Yes even Hall & Oates have careers that span more than a handfull of years.

Good grief, Purple started in 1967, two years before Zeppelin and Sabbath. They had songs that charted for the entire period through Who Do We Think We Are, which came after Machine Head. The Doors started that same year for what it is worth...Yes never had the chart success that Deep Purple had either. Yes only had two albums worth HOF material compared to Deep Purple who had at least five really good albums just in the Mark II line up. The Mark I line up albums are often overlooked but are worthy in their own right. Just because KISS put out a lot of albums doesn't make them a great band when compared to the Purple, or other bands.

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good grief, Purple started in 1967, two years before Zeppelin and Sabbath. They had songs that charted for the entire period through Who Do We Think We Are, which came after Machine Head. The Doors started that same year for what it is worth...Yes never had the chart success that Deep Purple had either. Yes only had two albums worth HOF material compared to Deep Purple who had at least five really good albums just in the Mark II line up. The Mark I line up albums are often overlooked but are worthy in their own right. Just because KISS put out a lot of albums doesn't make them a great band when compared to the Purple, or other bands.
-------
Gabriel--how many decades of success did his career span? Like 'em or not same with Hall & Oates. And Ronstadt. Hell, Ronstadt went from pop/folk to rock to 40's standards to Spanish to even one disc of Opera and most sold far better than what Deep Purple has done over the same span of time.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO

Deep Purple
Peter Gabriel
Hall & Oates
Yes
Linda Ronstandt

Can't go with KISS while great in concert their albums sucked they were more smoke and mirrors than talent.

hatcher3333

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hall and Oates is the most selling duo of all time.

and a guilty pleasure.