• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Volkswagon of America!!

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, innocent old union is so innocent that they are now threatening to kill any VW expansion in the south unless the union is voted in. No outside influence going on there, now is there? :rollseyes:

Sounds like VW is now going to press forward with setting up their in house works council, like they wanted all along. I'd rather see them fight to overturn the stupid rule that says a US union has to be in shop before a works council at a private company can be instituted.

It is a nasty mess isn't it ford? Mess with the bull and you'll get horned I spose.

Doesn't exclude the fact that politicians stuck their noses in where they didn't belong and will give the NLRB a reason to have a revote. Guess the GOP didn't think that issue out beforehand. Who doesn't like a good ol' fashion fight anyways? Both sides tossin haymakers now...:laugh3::whistle:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a nasty mess isn't it ford? Mess with the bull and you'll get horned I spose.

Doesn't exclude the fact that politicians stuck their noses in where they didn't belong and will give the NLRB a reason to have a revote. Guess the GOP didn't think that issue out beforehand. Who doesn't like a good ol' fashion fight anyways? Both sides tossin haymakers now...:laugh3::whistle:

I guess it is up to each person to determine who was the one that did the "messing with the bull" in the first place. To me, it was the UAW who said "oh, you want to do something at your private company? Well you have to hire us first or else you are breaking the law".

A revote isn't a given.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it is up to each person to determine who was the one that did the "messing with the bull" in the first place. To me, it was the UAW who said "oh, you want to do something at your private company? Well you have to hire us first or else you are breaking the law".

A revote isn't a given.

UAW didn't violate ANY laws during the vote, neither did the company. But when you have the Koch Brothers throwing up negative roadside bill board signs and federal/locally elected politicians, spewing lies in the media leading up to the vote, well you have a whole different beast for the NLRB to figure out. Facts are facts, a clean vote would have been nice to see don't you think? Or is just another case of government "over extending" itself into private citizens rights and affairs? Hope YOU can see the difference and agree with me on at least that point. I always saw you as deciding an issue on merits, not emotions.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Morning Juice, long time no speaky too.

Yeah there's a lot of people laughing at the current situation including you. Love it when a door seems like it closed and then "suddenly" reopens due to some idiot politicians mouths.

Right up your alley isn't it?:whistle:

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was laughing at you blaming everything on the f'ing Koch brothers. The union Statists have the media, Hollywood, the current Admin., all the gov't and other union spending...but the bros. buy a billboard and there you have your excuse for FAIL.

The unions burnt their roof for fuel. Their pensions were squandered on fraud and political contributions and they are underrepresenting young members - as mentioned earlier in the thread. People don't like them anymore. They are now synonymous with Detroit and mobsters and lazy fuckers. So, accept it and move on.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was laughing at you blaming everything on the f'ing Koch brothers. The union Statists have the media, Hollywood, the current Admin., all the gov't and other union spending...but the bros. buy a billboard and there you have your excuse for FAIL.

The unions burnt their roof for fuel. Their pensions were squandered on fraud and political contributions and they are underrepresenting young members - as mentioned earlier in the thread. People don't like them anymore. They are now synonymous with Detroit and mobsters and lazy fuckers. So, accept it and move on.

THAT IS the generic rightwing "spin" on it, well done for passing the same old "blame game" on. Detroit failing was a result of over 300 million due to the city and squandered by the current admin of the GOP leaders in Michigan and letting Detroit go into banko juice and you know that. Let us move on from that "rhetoric" because it is garbage that you speak of (tell me something I don't already know next time to quote you).

Politicians "meddling" has brought the NLRB on board here, just a matter of time till the Union files suit about that issue. Yep the Koch Bros have a small hand in on it. Do your own research on whatever site you trust.

"Mobsters"? I can think of 3 involved here...they are ALL elected officials tho...:laugh3:

ENJOY your good day sir.:suds:

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't VW invented by Hitler?

Not invented but it was his brainchild to create a car affordable to all. Translated VW is Peoples Car

Good for them. They won't need to be replaced by robots or Chinee. Now I really do want a Phaeton.

Agreed

I have four cars VW Passat Wagon is one of them, it's a damn good car, very reliable.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UAW didn't violate ANY laws during the vote, neither did the company. But when you have the Koch Brothers throwing up negative roadside bill board signs and federal/locally elected politicians, spewing lies in the media leading up to the vote, well you have a whole different beast for the NLRB to figure out. Facts are facts, a clean vote would have been nice to see don't you think? Or is just another case of government "over extending" itself into private citizens rights and affairs? Hope YOU can see the difference and agree with me on at least that point. I always saw you as deciding an issue on merits, not emotions.

yes, a clean vote where the UAW wasn't allowed in during the vote would have been nice.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's ALL true...US Senator Bob Corker is now "back peddling" his "pre-vote" statement timelines now in an effort to strong arm the NLRB and their potential decision for a unionization revote @ VW. Gawd what a piece of shit he is. Couldn't keep his mouth shut then or even now. Does He even know what the law is or when it was passed?

"Classic" case of meddling where he shouldn't have. First time in history for a sitting US Senator to inject his "freedom of speech" rights between labor/union affairs in this country. Corker is "crying foul" too. :laugh3:

Worst part of the whole thing is that it's going to take the NLRB 2 months to sort out the mess and make a decision on the UAW complaint. Sure that'll be enough time for Corker to harass them some more while wasting the taxpayers dime on it.

Only in the South...:doh:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things stink down in Tenny! We are getting closer to finding out why.

Report: Tennessee offered incentives tied to VW vote

The petition and the supplement cited what the UAW called a coordinated effort by state officials and anti-union organizations to influence the election.

Clint Brewer, spokesman for the state Department of Economic Development, issued a statement denying any attempt to influence workers to vote against the union.

He said the language in the $300 million incentive offer dubbed "Project Trinity" was intended to convey the state's concerns with the election process.

"In August 2013, it was unclear whether a works council was possible under U.S. law," Brewer wrote, referring to the date when the original offer was put forward by state officials.

Brewer said that the state kept the offer on the table for two months after the normal 90-day period "due to the importance of the Volkswagen project."

He also noted that the incentive offer was actually withdrawn in January before the union vote occurred. Volkswagen workers rejected the unionization effort by a vote of 712-626 in mid-February.

An Aug. 23 summary of a nearly $300 million package, obtained by WTVF in Nashville, carries a disclaimer toward the top of the page: "The incentives described below are subject to works council discussions between the State of Tennessee and VW being concluded to the satisfaction of the State of Tennessee."

The state's offer sheet, marked confidential, includes $207 million in cash and cash equivalents and $93 million in tax credits for Volkswagen to add 960 production jobs and 240 contractor positions at the plant.

WTF is up with that statement?

The legal ramifications

After the union defeat, the UAW filed a case with the National Labor Relations Board charging that outside political interference by Corker and the state GOP leadership prevented workers from receiving a fair election. On Tuesday, the UAW used the NewsChannel 5 report to file a supplemental brief with the NLRB, alleging that the leaked documents provide even greater evidence that government officials coordinated their efforts to hinder the union drive. “Doubtless there is more evidence of such coordination in addition to this particular leaked email chain, given the tone of familiarity among the email recipients,” wrote the UAW in the brief.

Also, the UAW cited the new connection in the email chain between the anti-union group Southern Momentum and government officials to challenge the NLRB’s decision to grant Southern Momentum “intervenor status” to participate in the NLRB hearings. In an unusual move in March, Southern Momentum petitioned for standing in the case, arguing that it was a group representing anti-union workers involved in the dispute. The NLRB agreed, which will allow Southern Momentum to bring in its own legal team to make arguments. Southern Momentum has deep pockets: Previously, In These Times quoted No 2 UAW anti-union VW worker committee activist Mike Burton as saying “not one of us [workers] raised a penny” of the $100,000 raised by Southern Momentum to fight against the UAW drive. The UAW however, argues that the email chain provides further evidence that Southern Momentum is tied to outside special interests rather than workers and that its intervenor status should be revoked.

According to labor lawyer Moshe Marvit, a fellow at the Century Foundation, the case has far-reaching legal implications, since outside groups with dark money sources are rarely allowed to fight unions in NLRB cases.

However, Marvit notes that “there is an irony to the Board's granting intervenor status to outside groups” because “the hearing is only necessary because outside groups became involved in the election in an improper way. Now, the Board is affirming that these groups have a legal interest in the proceedings, and is thereby affirming their position as parties.”

The NLRB trial is set for April 21 in Chattanooga, Tenn. While it’s unclear whether the NLRB will be swayed by the new evidence to call for a do-over election at Volkswagen, to one local activist these documents represent something startling.

"When a billionaire governor, a millionaire senator, and the local Chamber of Commerce all unite to kill jobs in reaction to the mere possibility of one union local being organized at one factory in one city in the state of Tennessee, the full extent of the corrupting influence of the business community in our state government becomes clearly visible,” says Chris Brooks, an activist with the pro-UAW community group Chattanooga for Workers. “What chance do workers have to organize a union when they are pitted against our state's most powerful politicians who coordinate their attacks in secret with a shadowy corporate cartel composed of everyone from the local Chamber to out-of-state anti-union consultants?"

Made for TV movie material. We all know why the South don't want unions...money is all, has nothing to do with workers, just political campaign finance sources. With the recent SCOTUS decision opening the floodgates, time for a re-vote here w/o any outside influences either.

Good story and it aint over till the FAT LADY sings.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by a moderator:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite UAW story: My best friends father worked for GM making the overflow tanks for the Corvette back in the late 60's early 70's. By union rules he was to make 70 tanks a day, by his rules he could do that in an hour. So he punched in at 8, made his tanks, stashed them around his work station, left the GM plant, worked as a heavy equipment operator for 6 hours. Went back to the GM plant turned in his 70 tanks, punched out, then went back to the other job site and finished up his 8 hour day there.

Got to love unions.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Your Dad was a good "provider" for his family and NO DOUBT would stand up and fight for his union today.

His dad made a lot of money as a successful business man while being an immigrant coming to America (as a teenager) from Germany post ww2 with nothing. I asked him how he made his money to get started down the career he finally ended up in (hotels), he related the story to me. He doesn't like Unions and would not fight for a "union" today.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His dad made a lot of money as a successful business man while being an immigrant coming to America (as a teenager) from Germany post ww2 with nothing. I asked him how he made his money to get started down the career he finally ended up in (hotels), he related the story to me. He doesn't like Unions and would not fight for a "union" today.

No doubt he would take that position, especially in the Hotel industry where there is a need for plentiful, low wage, high turnover, non union labor.