• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Viruses / Malware - Stop them before they start

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why sandboxie or some other sandbox app is handy. Just download and install inside the sandbox and then just scan that box. Takes seconds instead an hour or more and you can easily/quickly browse every folder and file that changed. If it seems legit then you can do it for real.

It sucks we are in an age where that is something that has to be done, but it really is the best bet for dealing with unknown files.

Been trying sandbox out and think it works nicely. It stills allows you to do a download and save it to your hard drive if you wish, which is nice. Downloaded some gifs and it was no problem using sanbox.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been trying sandbox out and think it works nicely. It stills allows you to do a download and save it to your hard drive if you wish, which is nice. Downloaded some gifs and it was no problem using sanbox.

I admit I don't use it all the time, but if I'm going anywhere even potentially dangerous it's in the sandbox.

I use it more for testing files and program installs. Anything you install using it is entirely in the box and actually works. Don't want it? Just wipe the box and all traces are gone.

If you like to tinker with random apps it's a god send.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit I don't use it all the time, but if I'm going anywhere even potentially dangerous it's in the sandbox.

I use it more for testing files and program installs. Anything you install using it is entirely in the box and actually works. Don't want it? Just wipe the box and all traces are gone.

If you like to tinker with random apps it's a god send.

This more than anything. I also use the VirusTotal web site to check files with, it is 99% reliable.