• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech - Club 216 Trash Talk Thread

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a UVA fan, I'm sure you're not used to seeing those words in the same sentence.

They're usually reserved for schools with good football teams, like Virginia Tech.

No where did I say that VT is not a good team, I just do not consider them a college football 'power'. I would consider the following as current college football powers:

Florida
Alabama
LSU
USC
Ohio State

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No where did I say that VT is not a good team, I just do not consider them a college football 'power'. I would consider the following as current college football powers:

Florida
Alabama
LSU
USC
Ohio State

I can understand not considering VT a power if you're going to have a very short list. What I can't figure is what criteria you used to come up with THAT list. e.g. I'd consider VT more of a power than Florida in some respects, and I'd consider Texas more of a power than Florida in the others, so with what criteria did neither of them make your list?

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can understand not considering VT a power if you're going to have a very short list. What I can't figure is what criteria you used to come up with THAT list. e.g. I'd consider VT more of a power than Florida in some respects, and I'd consider Texas more of a power than Florida in the others, so with what criteria did neither of them make your list?
May want to add UNC, looks like his list is based off of those schools that have been on restriction/violations or had rumors of violations (and plenty of them).

Back to 2014 recruiting, Jayln Holmes picked up an offer from ECU over the weekend

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have just 2 criterias for me to consider a school a CFB 'power'

1) National Championships in last decade
2) 5 star talent. 5 star talents recruit themselves to the 'power' schools and these schools do not have to put as much effort into recruiting these players as say Oregon, VT, Georgia, etc. does.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Florida
Alabama
LSU
USC
Ohio State

So, where is Texas? Down here with us lowly VT Hokies?

Auburn?

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, where is Texas? Down here with us lowly VT Hokies?

Auburn?

Texas has really fell over the past 2 years with terrible seasons. With the amount of talent they have recruited over the past 2 years, they could re-gain their 'power' status with a 1-2 loss season this year.

Auburn without sCam Newton is a joke. This will continue to be proven over the next 2 years.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would consider the following as current college football powers:

Florida
Alabama
LSU
USC
Ohio State

Texas has really fell over the past 2 years with terrible seasons. With the amount of talent they have recruited over the past 2 years, they could re-gain their 'power' status with a 1-2 loss season this year.

Auburn without sCam Newton is a joke. This will continue to be proven over the next 2 years. agree

???

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Auburn without sCam Newton is a joke. This will continue to be proven over the next 2 years.

Texas always gets good recruits. The problem is that they're all from Texas and are thus overrated. Texas high school football is so intense, that many players from that state peak while they're in high school. When they get to college, they don't improve while raw talents around them at other schools do.

And damn I'm so pumped about all this 2014 news. It's almost putting this season's recruiting on the back burner.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning 2 of the last 6 NC's gives a team the benefit of doubt.

Florida has a new coaching staff, no Tim Tebow, and have barely went to bowl games the last 2 years.... they are no longer a "power team" and have no business being in the same category as those other teams.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, you are either a hypocrite, or can't abide by your own metrics.

Your criteria:

"I have just 2 criterias for me to consider a school a CFB 'power'

2) 5 star talent. 5 star talents recruit themselves to the 'power' schools and these schools do not have to put as much effort into recruiting these players as say Oregon, VT, Georgia, etc. does."

Texas, check and check

To bad some of us hokies actually pay attention.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you are either a hypocrite, or can't abide by your own metrics.

Your criteria:

"I have just 2 criterias for me to consider a school a CFB 'power'

2) 5 star talent. 5 star talents recruit themselves to the 'power' schools and these schools do not have to put as much effort into recruiting these players as say Oregon, VT, Georgia, etc. does."

Texas, check and check

To bad some of us hokies actually pay attention.

No, I'm not being a hypocrite. The teams have to meet those 2 criterias before I will consider if they are a 'power' or not.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OSU barely makes that criteria, Jeffro. Including them requires a consideration of history... in which case Michigan must be added.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU barely makes that criteria, Jeffro. Including them requires a consideration of history... in which case Michigan must be added.

Yes, OSU does barely make the cut. But when you take into account who their HC is now, you have to include them.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, OSU does barely make the cut. But when you take into account who their HC is now, you have to include them.

Sorry to keep this going, but Florida lost that same coach, their best players, and a ton of games... Yet they made your list. Huh?

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to keep this going, but Florida lost that same coach, their best players, and a ton of games... Yet they made your list. Huh?

Like I said, Florida has won 2 of the last 6 NC's.

Why does who I consider CFB 'powers' mean so much to you anyway?

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Like I said, Florida has won 2 of the last 6 NC's.

Why does who I consider CFB 'powers' mean so much to you anyway?

Me? I'm an analyst by both habits and occupation. What you read as emotion is just my brain trying to define and test your logic.

Without looking back, I believe this started for others when you insisted that VT shouldn't be considered a "power".

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I suggest you take Jeffro's definition of "football power" to another thread, as it really has no bearing on 2014 recruiting, or anything else for that matter.