• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2014 Recruiting Target List

JP to VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I noticed when I was browsing 247 on the UVA point of view.

Obviously they're in the mix (or the favorite) for Jamil Kamara, Jalyn Holmes, Derrick Nnadi, Andrew Brown and MJ Stewart. So they seem to have a solid shot at getting some of the elite guys. But what I noticed was they don't seem to have a a lot of "2nd tier" players that are considering them. (Jeremiah Clarke and JJ Jackson are but other than that most are out of state guys)

I'm purely basing this on 247 and their "cold" "warm" system.

VT has a shot at Hand, Nnadi, Holmes, Stewart, Reavis, Park, Street, Hood and some other Elite players, but we also have a lot of "2nd tier" player interests as well. Raymon Minor, Travon McMillian, Marcus Boone, Jonathan Duhart, Ryan Izzo, the 4 Western Branch Kids, Tyler Powell, Alec Eberle and Devonte Dedmon.

So what I'm trying to say is UVA might end up getting a few Elite guys but end up a really top heavy class due to not getting those 2nd tier guys. Or worst case scenario (best for VT) what if they miss out on some of those guys? They seem to have all their eggs in that basket. Where as even if VT misses out on some of the super elite, we would still put together a solid class.
Again I'm basing this on the 247 "cold" "warm" system.

Just something I noticed having too much time on my hands. lol

JPCVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UVA is also planning on a pretty small class this year - I think under 20

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word out of Hooville is he'd been shakey for a while. Maybe Jeffro can comment?

Yes, Nelson hasn't been secretive about his interest in other schools. The UVa staff isn't going to lose any sleep over this. Sounds like he will commit to Louisville as soon as they offer.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4* Woodbridge QB Travon McMillian has trimmed his list to Cal, GT, and VT....and also plans on announcing his college decision next Thursday, April 25. He drops UVA and Stanford from his list of five, right after his VT visit and then decides his announcement date. Seems like VT is his likely destination to me.

JP to VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4* Woodbridge QB Travon McMillian has trimmed his list to Cal, GT, and VT....and also plans on announcing his college decision next Thursday, April 25. He drops UVA and Stanford from his list of five, right after his VT visit and then decides his announcement date. Seems like VT is his likely destination to me.

Are we recruiting him as a QB or WR/DB? Does he want to play QB in college?

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems we are in the running for 3 top QBs (2 4* and a 5*). Loeffler doing work i see.

JP to VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody know who we are going after for OL?

Steven Moss - UVA
Coleman Thomas - Tennessee

were both I'd say pretty big loses and Damian Prince seems like he's leaning towards FSU now.
The only OL that I know we are reaching out to is Thomas Coleman from Western Branch, and he doesn't have an offer yet. I'm sure Grimes is recruiting more than Thomas Coleman so just thought I'd ask who realistically we could get among the guys we are going after.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Hand's daddy really likes Michigan. I am sure Michigan pulled out the red carpet during his visit. What does VT need to do to keep him in state?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check the first page of this thread for a list of offers by position. Herndon is a guy that Grimes really seems to like and that we have an excellent chance of getting. Kelleher is another guy that we were in good position for last I heard.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice scoop, Cam!

Hey hokiegrad, was that you with the question to Bitter under the same name? Well done if so. I know the fatalistic Matt who was questioning had to be our Matt. ;).

Also, mods, will be away from my comp on Saturday but will email any scoops I get to pass along. Looking for a pretty bi day :D

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice scoop, Cam!

Hey hokiegrad, was that you with the question to Bitter under the same name? Well done if so. I know the fatalistic Matt who was questioning had to be our Matt. ;).

Also, mods, will be away from my comp on Saturday but will email any scoops I get to pass along. Looking for a pretty bi day :D

:confused2:

:laugh3:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, that was me. Always nice to get more insight into how the practices are run, and I've been wondering how Cornell is fitting in since we don't hear his name come up that much.

For those who weren't on the chat, here was the question and how Andy replied:

Q: how does Cornell Brown look in the practices you've been able to attend? Does he get as animated as some of the other defensive coaches? How does his time appear to be split between the OLBs and helping with the DL?

A: Cornell's plenty animated. I just think he doesn't have a whole lot to do at times. He coaches one position, essentially. And that position has one starter. So he's limited in that sense. We're not out there for all of the practice, so I'm not sure how much DE stuff he does. I'm sure he's got some pass-rushing tips, though.

VTHokieJ2004

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Hand's daddy really likes Michigan. I am sure Michigan pulled out the red carpet during his visit. What does VT need to do to keep him in state?

It sounds like he switched his interests from engineering to sports management right around the time he took a visit to Michigan. Does VT even have a sports management major (or focus)? I'm hoping Foster and co can impress him at the Spring Game this wknd, but it's looking like it'll be a real battle down the stretch, esp since his Dad likes Michigan. Anyway, here's a blurb taken from Michigan fan site mgoblog.com about Hand:
That would be #1 overall player VA DT Da'Shawn Hand, who Michigan is after in a serious way. Hand talked to Yahoo radio recently, and declaimed thusly:
  • he "recently decided" he wants to major in sports management, something that came up as he's talking Alabama.
  • What is it about Michigan? "Everything. The coaches, the players, the town, the professors, the academic buildings, the food… it was cold, but I can manage that, I'm from Philly. Everything was just great about it."
  • Meanwhile, on VT: "Well, first, they're close to home. Bud Foster's been my favorite coach… it just feels like home there. [garbled] …I'm just comfortable there and they play good football."
  • He wants to take his officials; has no timeline.
He hasn't been down to Florida yet and his statements about the other SEC teams in his top five (South Carolina and Alabama) were considerably more lukewarm than the two I transcribed above. Everyone says VT is on top, but if you had to pick from the quotes above…"