• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2014 Recruiting Target List

JPCVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested in what you all think on the advantage or disadvantage of VT recruiting defensive players in regards to size. The knock on VT from opposing teams seems to be "you won't play your position in the NFL if you go there". The whip position in and of itself, smaller defensive ends focused on the speed rush, etc.

Now I think we've seen a turn in that in the last year or so, particularly with Gayle sizing up to 270 (!!) and both Hopkins bros tipping the scales over 300. I just wonder how does this affect our shot with top-state talent like Hand, Brown (clear DT) and Blanding...guys who project a position now, but could be forced to change to another based on their size and VT's defensive scheme. It'd be a shame if that's the case, and every safety over 220 and every end over 250 ends up having to shift.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries about Harrison sticking. Hopefully he brings some more FL boys with him, I don't think we have had a bad one yet.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Guys, normally I just read and as questions here (as I told the last UVA asshole, I'm not an insider), but I can actually add some perspective on Xavier Burke.

I graduated from Brunswick High School almost a decade ago, where Burke now plays for the Bulldogs. It's a tiny 300-500 student high school, and the only public HS in Brunswick County, with the private "white" Brunswick Academy a mile up the road and across the street from two prisons. They play AA ball in the ever-shrinking Southside District (which now has 5 teams I think) and won one game last year. Coach Williams is an excellent man and a pretty good coach, but they simply don't have the enrollment to field a deep football team. Just like EJ Wilson (BHS class of '05, former VT recruit, drafted from UNC by Seattle and now plays for Tampa), Burke likely plays out of position on both O and D to help his team have a chance. Also like EJ, he plays on the state champion Bulldogs basketball team and runs track.

Long story short, it is entirely possible that he is an outstanding athlete that flew under the radar as an out-of-position player on a 1-9 small school team in a farming county. I can tell you this without even knowing him: he has the mentors and support group that he will be a standup citizen at Tech. Not only Coach Williams, but his basketball coach is UVA great, all-time leading scorer, and 10-year NBA SG Bryant Stith. He may be a Hoo, but Stith is one of the smartest and kindest men I know. Actually, some would argue it says a lot about Stith that his players don't feel pressured to go to UVA. One of his two sons hasn't even decided whether to accept a Hoo offer yet (though it is as a GS).

This article is about basketball, but it gives a good idea how small the school and town are.

Brunswick Basketball Article - RTD

Since the RTD video sucks, here's highlights from the title game that followed. Burke is #52 and made a couple brief cameos.

Brunswick vs. Cave Spring in 2012 VHSL Group AA, Division 3 State Basketball Championship - YouTube

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read an interview Da'Shawn Hand had about his Alabama visit. Seems to have been a good visit, but there wasn't anything overly flashy. Just the normal stuff they usually say. Says he was impressed with their engineering program and academics.... but with VT's engineering dept. ranking about 100 spots higher than Bama's, I imagine we will/have impressed him more.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read an interview Da'Shawn Hand had about his Alabama visit. Seems to have been a good visit, but there wasn't anything overly flashy. Just the normal stuff they usually say. Says he was impressed with their engineering program and academics.... but with VT's engineering dept. ranking about 100 spots higher than Bama's, I imagine we will/have impressed him more.

"Oh you graduated with an engineering degree from Alabama? I didn't know they offered that."

"Oh you graduated with an engineering degree from VT? That's impressive; they have one of the best programs in the country."

Arrogance aside, it cracks me up when people talk about how they're impressed with academics. Moreover, how on earth can you get an idea of academics when summer school is going on and each class has 15 people in it? Anyways, we have his favorite coach and an amazing engineering department. Let's do this!

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

999 posts. What are ya going to do for the big 1000? I vote pr0n.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Harrison looks like a 4 star to me. He can fly, stop on a dime with good change of direction/cuts all at almost 200 pounds

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rivals has a video interview up with Burke prior to his offer. To summarize: He was happy with his performance, and he says "sir" a lot.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck playing a basketball game at Brunswick. You get effed by the refs beyond belief, and most of their fans are assholes.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fuck playing a basketball game at Brunswick. You get effed by the refs beyond belief, and most of their fans are assholes.

???

I'm guessing you were on one of the many AAA teams to ride down to Lawrenceville and take an L. In 20 years of Brunswick games, I've never found our fans to be "assholes". Loud, yes. Packed too tightly into the former gym, yes. Unless you play for rival Greensville, there are worse places to play.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found the Williamsburg kids to be pretty big pricks themselves, especially in soccer. Something in the water I guess had them grow up believing they were the shit. News flash, some Predators, a Justin Beiber haircut, jersey only tucked in the front, and a whiny attitude don't make you a good player (Jamestown and Lafayette).

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I found the Williamsburg kids to be pretty big pricks themselves, especially in soccer. Something in the water I guess had them grow up believing they were the shit. News flash, some Predators, a Justin Beiber haircut, jersey only tucked in the front, and a whiny attitude don't make you a good player (Jamestown and Lafayette).
LOL predators haha I rocked those for a while before the vapors came out...

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Evan, is this a high school that produces a lot of talent? I've been hoping we can develop another Delray Beach.

According to Andy Bitter, "Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis and former Philadelphia wide receiver Freddie Mitchell are also alums" of Kathleen HS. Plus Torrian, as Evan pointed out. So yeah, they're producing some talent. Let's get this ball rolling!

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
According to Andy Bitter, "Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis and former Philadelphia wide receiver Freddie Mitchell are also alums" of Kathleen HS. Plus Torrian, as Evan pointed out. So yeah, they're producing some talent. Let's get this ball rolling!
Torrian still has a lot of family down in that area, if they have some talent come out, better believe he will be one of the first to know about it

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thekeyplay dug up this year-old article on the Brunswick football team. It says Burke "was one of the top tight ends in the Southside District last season and has soft hands to go along with his 6-4 height", speaking of his freshman year. It also lists him as a returner on defense. Playing both ways as a freshman...

Bulldogs will depend on youth - Brunswick Times Gazette: Sports