• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Verlander

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I read today that JV wants to be in the HR Derby....wtf? He still doesn't have a career hit. Is it just me, or should JV concentrate on keeping the ball down against a home run hitter filled Orioles lineup? I enjoy the derby, but only when it features actual home run hitters. I'd hate for a Tiger to be part of the festivities, and then fail to hit one out. It'd be a mockery and an embarrassment.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, JV needs to be focusing on his mechanics currently, not this sideshow circus bullshit.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any video of this? Or was he bullshitting?.....I'd like to see how he said it to get a better idea if he's just joking or serious.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he was serious, muzz. lol

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just talked about it of FSDetroit. It's not bullshit, but it is. I, personally, am rather annoyed by the campaign.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. He gave up some serious shots, I remember that.

Tigertowner68

Church of Baseball member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I read today that JV wants to be in the HR Derby....wtf? He still doesn't have a career hit. Is it just me, or should JV concentrate on keeping the ball down against a home run hitter filled Orioles lineup? I enjoy the derby, but only when it features actual home run hitters. I'd hate for a Tiger to be part of the festivities, and then fail to hit one out. It'd be a mockery and an embarrassment.

I have to say that I do not have a problem with it. Yeah, sure I'd say he is serious but I highly doubt that he would be even the least bit upset if it doesn't come to pass (editor's note - it won't).

In my opinion it's harmless because it is a case of a highly competitive athlete believing, as he should, that there is nothing that he cannot achieve. Really, he does not even have as much as a single hit! But I think his thought is, hey, if I can throw 100 MPH in the eighth inning - then I could probably power a couple balls off a BP pitcher into the seats in the home run derby, and maybe more than a couple.

One commenter said that he should be concentrating on keeping the ball down, and about his pitching mechanics.

Know what? This guy works harder than many grinders in a blue-collar factory. It's just that expectations are so damn high around here that the poor guy has a run of two or three rough starts and all the "Chicken Little's" want to cry about the sky falling! He can probably benefit from this little diversion. It will take aload off him for a minute or two and probably loosen him up a little. Dude appears to be wound pretty tight.

Get used to some blips, OK? JV is going to hit that 30-something crisis when he loses 5 or 6 MPH off that fastball. Then all the worry-warts can worry. Not me. He will have a few bumps, iron it out, and walk with his head held high into the Hall of Fame one day. Hopefully not for another 15 years or so.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander's head is fucked up and I don't see it getting fixed this year.

K

kengel6

Maybe if he left a pants pocket hanging out, he might be as good as Al New Mexico??????
NOT.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something is definitely up with Verlander. Hopefully it is the type of mechanics problem that Scherzer had where he loses his arm slot and his MPH drop because of it. If not, that contract extension isn't looking too good.

Last game -- he only had one pitch that hit 95 on the gun and only 3 strikeouts. I read somewhere, not sure if this is true or not, but it said in his last 7 starts, he only has 21 strikeouts to go with 14 walks.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere, not sure if this is true or not, but it said in his last 7
starts, he only has 21 strikeouts to go with 14 walks.

Not sure if the velocity is due to a physical/mechanical issue, or a conscious decision by JV to not over-exert himself. We've seen him touch 97-98 on the gun this season when he feels he has to. The walks concern me the most. Only 57 and 60 walks in 2011-2012, despite throwing the most innings in the league both years. This season, he's on pace for fewer innings, and he already has 42 walks. The walks also indicate general location problems, especially with his fastball, that results in his higher hits-per-IP numbers this season.