• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA Today's Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2020

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it odd how playing an extra PAC12 team is only a stumbling block to other PAC12 teams … and that is the strength of their conference pride.

Didn't the PAC have a winning record vs. other P5 conferences last year? I know early in the season they did.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it odd how playing an extra PAC12 team is only a stumbling block to other PAC12 teams … and that is the strength of their conference pride.
Conferences that play a 9 game conference schedule lose more games than conferences that refuse to play their own conference members due to the fact that when two teams meet up one is going to lose (mathematical fact). It's the very reason the ACC & SEC teams refuse to play each other.

Those two conferences use the excuse that they need 4 OOC games in order to schedule more OOC P5 opponents.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't the PAC have a winning record vs. other P5 conferences last year? I know early in the season they did.

They were 0-1 against Auburn, same as the Huskies in the prior year. And we sucked on offense and had only 8 sec wins combined during those two years. I am not knocking either team but am saying that when your top teams cannot beat a mid/lower level team from another conference then the extra PAC game is not the problem.

I understand wanting to group P5 wins to make things sound better but what was the record against P5 teams that won a division, conference or even entered the final regular season week in the playoff conservation?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were 0-1 against Auburn, same as the Huskies in the prior year. And we sucked on offense and had only 8 sec wins combined during those two years. I am not knocking either team but am saying that when your top teams cannot beat a mid/lower level team from another conference then the extra PAC game is not the problem.

I understand wanting to group P5 wins to make things sound better but what was the record against P5 teams that won a division, conference or even entered the final regular season week in the playoff conservation?

1-0 as far as I know (Oregon over Wisconsin). Don't think the PAC played any other division winners.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conferences that play a 9 game conference schedule lose more games than conferences that refuse to play their own conference members due to the fact that when two teams meet up one is going to lose (mathematical fact). It's the very reason the ACC & SEC teams refuse to play each other.

Those two conferences use the excuse that they need 4 OOC games in order to schedule more OOC P5 opponents.

The solution then is to win all of your conference games. Do you think for a moment that Florida/UGA would do worse if they added Ole Miss instead of playing a non P5 game that week? The only validity that the 9 conference game schedule is to the argument that it prevents some of the PACs bottom teams from getting bowl games and that assumes that they would beat a G5 OOC opponent.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The solution then is to win all of your conference games. Do you think for a moment that Florida/UGA would do worse if they added Ole Miss instead of playing a non P5 game that week? The only validity that the 9 conference game schedule is to the argument that it prevents some of the PACs bottom teams from getting bowl games and that assumes that they would beat a G5 OOC opponent.
The SEC plays one less conference game on average compared to the Big 12. That's like having the NFC play a 15 game regular season schedule while having the AFC play a 16 game regular season schedule. SEC fans use every excuse imaginable as to why they refuse to play their own conference members.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL no, not even up for debate.
Definitely up for debate...depending on where they played a couple of them. If they had to play LSU AND Bama away from the shoe, they more than likely have two losses. If they played both of them in the shoe, then they might not have any losses....especially if it is snowing and shit. I don't think LSU would have liked that kind of weather.

I don't think tOSU loses to Auburn or Georgia regardless of where they played.

And all that is JMO

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Something that AlaskaFag never brings up on these types of threads is that the PAC has financial incentive to use a 9-game schedule. There simply are not as many G5 programs a reasonable distance away, which adds significant travel costs.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only because the Arizona schools were picking on the afflicted kids such as Texas Tech and Michigan State.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only because the Arizona schools were picking on the afflicted kids such as Texas Tech and Michigan State.
Ya because it's not like schools such as USC and Stanford play ND home & away every year.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya because it's not like schools such as USC and Stanford play ND home & away every year.
Yeah, that was probably the opposite. Notre Dame was the one picking on the afflicted kids last year.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that was probably the opposite. Notre Dame was the one picking on the afflicted kids last year.
No matter how people try to spin it the fact of the matter is the SEC followed by the ACC play the least amount of P5 opponents on average year after year. That is a fact.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-0 as far as I know (Oregon over Wisconsin). Don't think the PAC played any other division winners.

Great win, BTW but that was in the post season. Being in the post season does not diminish the win in any shape or form, but going into the playoff discussion was an unknown. What was known was that you lost to an 8 win Auburn and a 6 win ASU team. For the 9 conference game argument to come into play, you have to argue that this year ASU would have been that game and without it you would have been a playoff contender. The crux of the argument that @AlaskaGuy is making is that playing ASU and eight other PAC teams is somehow worse than playing UGA, LSU, Bama, the other five SEC games and an FCS team. It is purely a quality versus quantity argument without any merit. The SEC went through a period of being looked at as a weak conference … until we started winning the BCSCGs and having great OOC/bowl records.