• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA Mexico post game interviews/comments

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fellow Dawg fan asked about it in the other thread.
1.To answer your first question.
-His starting lineup appears to be a 4-2-3-1, with Landon Donovan and Jose Torres running the wings and Michael Bradley stepping into an attacking role.
-However when that goal was scored the formation was in 4-4-2 with Donovan pushing up as Forward.

Anyways MAN was Klinsmann excited after that goal
That was Shea all the way.

Comments and Grades. This is all I found so far.
Second-half subs spark U.S. in 1-1 draw -- soccer - ESPN
(Video of Klinsmann's comments)

Donovan: U.S. Better in 2nd Half - ESPN Video - ESPN

"Grades: (1-10; 10 = best)

GK Tim Howard, 6: Games against Mexico are seldom so uneventful for U.S. keepers. Howard had little to do and was blameless on Mexico's goal.

D Steve Cherundolo, 6: Cherundolo was predictably solid and steady.

D Michael Orozco Fiscal, 5.5: Orozco was a tad shaky early and sometimes dodgy on the ball. But he did what he had to do, especially given that he's fairly new to the team.

D Carlos Bocanegra, 7.5: The captain is still completely irreplaceable in the middle of the U.S. defense. He had another strong game and was caught out just once by Rafa Marquez.

D Edgar Castillo, 4.5: Castillo was sometimes useful on offense but a liability in the back. He isn't sharp yet and sent some bad passes. Still, he's an upgrade over Jonathan Bornstein.

M Kyle Beckerman, 5.5: Playing just behind Bradley, Beckerman had one of his better games for the U.S. But is he suited long term for this level? Probably not.

M Jermaine Jones, 5: Playing in a holding role behind Michael Bradley, Jones was at times useful but not as often as he was invisible. For large swaths of his 60 minutes on the field he was nowhere to be found in spite of very much being in the center of the field -- a worrying reoccurrence in his short tenure with the U.S.

M Michael Bradley, 6.5: Another ambiguous night for the no-longer-coach's son. He played well as a central attacking midfielder, distributing well with square balls and still getting back to do plenty of defensive work. His return to the position he played at Heerenveen earlier in his career was a success. The Mexico goal in the 17th minute in which he let Oribe Peralta swivel around him and dink in the 1-0 was not.

M Jose Torres, 5: Torres is no winger, we learned that much. He dropped too deep and drifted too central. What's more, he was delinquent defensively, even if he was solid on the ball.

F Landon Donovan, 5.5: The U.S.'s somewhat mercurial stalwart underdelivered today. He sent in the odd dangerous cross from the wing, but didn't have enough impact.

F Edson Buddle, 4.5: With almost none to absolutely no service coming his way, and with little support out of the midfield or from the wings, Buddle had a chance to brush up on his Spanish, surrounded as he was by green jerseys.

Subs:

F Juan Agudelo, 7: The much-hyped youngster was instantly dangerous after coming on and did good preparatory work on the American equalizer.

M Brek Shea, 7.5: At last Shea translated his club form with FC Dallas to the national team, after two ineffectual caps. The giant winger was mobile, physical and active, and set up Rogers' equalizer beautifully.

F Robbie Rogers, 6.5: The usually underachieving winger scored the equalizer and went on dangerous runs, one of which saw him through on goal alone before being brought down (when inexplicably only a yellow card was drawn). He fluffed a shot or two as well though.
"

Most of these grades I agree with. Some I thought were a little off though. For instance...
-Donovan looked like he was the only one who knew how to play midfield the first half. Second half he set up some decent crosses and he was good with his passing. Would have given him a 7
-Buddle like stated above was covered up by Mexicans the whole game. How he gets a bad rating because nobody else was open Idk. Maybe ESPN is saying Buddle didn't give himself enough space or didn't make any cuts. Hell if I know. I'd give him a 5 at least

Last edited by a moderator:

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read... thanks for posting.

As far as the game went, I thought the did a good job of coming back to tie it up. I had wished for a win, but the game was like a tryout for a lot of players. I see good things to come & we have some more friendlies coming up for the boys to get a little chemistry going