• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Umpires

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised this thread has not already been created...

First the HORRIBLE HR/2B call from Wednesday, then the absolute ignorance displayed in the Houston/LA Angels game yesterday (good thing the Angels won that game, it could have been ugly).

This is really becoming a serious embarrassment to the game.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've noticed the exceptionally bad calls this year and its not just limited to those two games.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Related question...

What are the chances Angel Hernandez is still an ump next year? I would not be surprised if MLB decides that they want his head. He has a history of being one of the absolute worst umps in the game. How did he ever become a crew chief, anyway?

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need robots!

robot-umps-now-helton2.jpg

Robot+Umpire.jpg

jrs21

I'm a Bullet Proof Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Related question...

What are the chances Angel Hernandez is still an ump next year? I would not be surprised if MLB decides that they want his head. He has a history of being one of the absolute worst umps in the game. How did he ever become a crew chief, anyway?

I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Like you said he has been a HORRIBLE umpire for a really long time. Almost all players and managers can not stand him. That umpire union is pretty strong though I think.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't need robots. But, why not have a replay guy in the booth who is only there for replays.

There is a hit/error button and the official scorer flips a light after a debatable call signaling if it was a hit or error. Why not have a guy in the replay booth who does the same thing except calls him safe/out after a close play and can override terrible calls made on the field? Only allow him to look at the slow mo replay once and it wouldn't slow the game down but it would correct obvious blunders.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the world did 4 umpires get that call wrong? It was clearly a home run!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the world did 4 umpires get that call wrong? It was clearly a home run!

I agree, but there is a potential that that one actually was not the umpires fault. There is a possibility that the monitors the umps use for replay are VERY bad monitors (I heard on the radio that at one time they used 19' SD monitors that Sharp supplied for free). If that is the case, than THAT one falls on MLB for not supplying the proper tools to allow the umps to do their jobs, and not the umps themselves.

No excuse for the Astro/Angel game though. That was a potential travesty.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but there is a potential that that one actually was not the umpires fault. There is a possibility that the monitors the umps use for replay are VERY bad monitors (I heard on the radio that at one time they used 19' SD monitors that Sharp supplied for free). If that is the case, than THAT one falls on MLB for not supplying the proper tools to allow the umps to do their jobs, and not the umps themselves.

What's the point of having replay if you don't have the right equipment?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm surprised they couldn't get some company to sponsor the replay equipment and pay to install the monitors in every stadium. The company could have installed equipment and been referred to as the Sony's Instant Replay or Instant Replay brought to you by Panasonic or something. The NCAA has a scissor and latter company for the NCAA tournament and the brands get recognized. I'm surprised the MLB couldn't get a similar deal.