• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UH Oh, Lions talking to Fairly and expect to bring back Tulloch

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting a bad feeling that the Lions are preparing for life without Suh after everything that has come out in the last week with FAs.

Anyone else getting the same feeling?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm not getting that feeling at all. They're just doing some house work and tidying things up before next season. I think we might get Fairley on a team-friendly one year deal so he can rip it up for a year in our awesome defense and help his free agent stock for next year. Just a hunch, though.

Tully might be asked to take a pay-cut or restructure. I think Austin really values his interior pass rush- he was on pace for a helluva lot of sacks when he went down this year...

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, you don't want to lose out on Suh, but do you really want the Lions to sign him for the money he's seeking? It's downright impossible to sustain a competitive team when you've got three players locked in at 40% of your cap space and are forced to split the remaining 60% on the other 50 guys.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't talk to him there is no way to know what the player thinks he's worth. You have to at least have the conversation. I think you can make him a contract offer that is affordable to the Lions and attractive to him.

Simply make it a 2 yr deal worth say $15m. But put a 3rd year that is voidable, that's key here. Guarantee $8m and pay him a $4m signing bonus. Amortize that over two years and put a $4m option bonus in the second year that you also amortize over two years. This is how you carry $2m into that voidable year. Making the cap work does involve writing off some dead $ each year. Set his salaries at $4m year one and $3m year two and you have cap hits of $6m, followed by $7m, and $2m dead.

A $15m deal is solid $ for a guy who has underperformed his entire career and had his season cut way short when he was finally starting to play. 2 years lets him have a short term crack at free agency again.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta agree with you there Dr. in your above post.

I still see no way in hell the Lions tag Suh despite all the front office mumbo jumbo B.S. talk. Tagging Suh will come at a very heavy price with cuts to many other players that shouldn't be cut at this time, IMO.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not read into anything about Suh last few months. From either side, we can't control anything that happens. Why get a ulcer?

I will ask this... Why is it a bad thing if they are preparing for March 10th with both Suh scenarios being played out?

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fairley (or Tulloch) is re-signed (kept), it's proof that the tag for Suh is off the table, since the math will be impossible. It'll be sign a multi-year deal or walk.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they can do something for a lower amount with Suh, but with a absurdly high percentage of guaranteed money.

I just see a team like Oakland offering him way more than we can pay in a long term deal