• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two Columns on Kaepernick's Attitude towards the Press

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowell Cohn: Time for 49ers' Colin Kaepernick to open up to media, fans | The Press Democrat
Seems as if Colin Kaepernick bites the hand ... - SFGate

I have to admit, Cohn's point is interesting that by refusing to fully answer questions, Kaepernick is just shifting the burden to his teammates.

One additional comment, there's a sports talk show guy here, Brock Huard, who does some college football stuff too and interviewed Kaepernick while he was at Nevada and said that he was completely charming and engaging.

Anyway, I find it a little churlish, the only reason why sports stars get so much money is because of the media, the tv and radio contracts, etc., it's not like they'd make millions of dollars from just playing in stadiums -- its tv, the least they could do is be gracious about it.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You lost me at "Cohn's point is interesting"

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, I find it a little churlish, the only reason why sports stars get so much money is because of the media, the tv and radio contracts, etc., it's not like they'd make millions of dollars from just playing in stadiums -- its tv, the least they could do is be gracious about it.

Sarcasm?

Athletes do in fact make millions just playing in the stadium. If Brian Jennings is smart he should still be a millionaire for doing nothing other than snapping a football.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My impression of Kaepernick at the press conferences I have seen is he is mirroring his coach. With the media, it is better to say less than give them something to write about.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kaepernick's attitude towards the media soured when the issue with his tattoos and his birth mother came up. After that he seemed to view the media as the enemy.

Not to mention I'm sure Harbaugh has some influence on it as well as coaches in general hate the media.

Personally I'm fine with athletes not talking to the media. You either going to get the stock politically correct answers or something that the media will run with and make it sports talk show fodder for a week. That's why I rarely read or watch player interviews because it's just a few minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Also as fans all we really care about is performance on the field and he can say as little as he wants as long as he wins and as long as he's not a bad human being which by all accounts he's not.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick is a little Bitch that needs to grow up. I dont get why he is getting a free pass from all of you on one this. His double standard with the national media and local media is disgusting.
I want a real, mature, qb that treats people with respect. I can only hope that this guy will wise up soon and look back on how he has been displaying himself in front of the media with shame. Cause he looks like a fool.
I think most of the time Cohn is an idiot but this time he is 100% correct. I dont care what is said in these interviews i rarely get insight from them, But behaving this way is just embarrassing, for anybody in any walk of life, especially a spokes person for an entire franchise and teammates and fan base he is doing everybody a disservice, especially himself. Last season he was nice and charming in front of the media, but that was before he was anybody, now with success he has become a total douche bag.

And on the field production has been questionable so that side of your arguments doesnt make sense for me.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick's attitude towards the media soured when the issue with his tattoos and his birth mother came up. After that he seemed to view the media as the enemy.

Not to mention I'm sure Harbaugh has some influence on it as well as coaches in general hate the media.

Personally I'm fine with athletes not talking to the media. You either going to get the stock politically correct answers or something that the media will run with and make it sports talk show fodder for a week. That's why I rarely read or watch player interviews because it's just a few minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Also as fans all we really care about is performance on the field and he can say as little as he wants as long as he wins and as long as he's not a bad human being which by all accounts he's not.
Look at the way the coaching staff and the players act with the media, and then look at Kaeps interviews, its night and day. Its not just that he brushes off the media, I am fine with that. Its the way he treats them as if they are scum on his shoes, beneath his notice. As if their presence is causing him physical pain. I have a problem with anybody who treats people that that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the way the coaching staff and the players act with the media, and then look at Kaeps interviews, its night and day. Its not just that he brushes off the media, I am fine with that. Its the way he treats them as if they are scum on his shoes, beneath his notice. As if their presence is causing him physical pain. I have a problem with anybody who treats people that that way.

I believe you have never watched a Harbough interview in your life.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you have never watched a Harbough interview in your life.

I have watched many. There is a difference between brushing off the media and behaving like a child. Even Harbaugh's interviews are different because Harbaugh is being himself in his interviews where as Kaep is putting on a show. Like we should all be impressed with his inability to give a shit. its an act.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like others, I also think he is being coached to say little. He just needs to work on not coming off as so standoffish. There's nothing to be gained from being too talkative with the media, but Kaep should probably try to be a little friendlier.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the sense that we have yet another imposter.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the sense that we have yet another imposter.
Why? because I dont have a good opinion of Kaeps character?

I am a 49er fan, whatever you are implying.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Where the hell did AngryNiner come from? He sounds like a jilted lover.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where the hell did AngryNiner come from? He sounds like a jilted lover.
I am new to this site. So, do you have an opinion on the topic, or this is the kind of stuff you contribute on a regular basis?

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1

Cohn is a tool, and that's not a good point at all.

Cohn is definitely a tool, but it's still a good point. Reporters are like water, they'll flow to wherever they can get someone to talk, and it's the quarterbacks role to be a major face of the franchise and to deal with reporters. They're just doing their jobs and they deserve a little bit more respect than he's giving them.

I like Kaepernick, I think he can be an excellent quarterback in this league, I know he does work for charity and has a good heart, but I also think that this whole attitude toward the media is selfish.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am new to this site. So, do you have an opinion on the topic, or this is the kind of stuff you contribute on a regular basis?

You are making a lot of subjective opinions in this thread and I am only following suit.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, but mine are on topic.

My comment about how you sound like you got dumped by Kaepernick IS on topic. Unless you're part of the media, why are you getting so worked up about how he interacts with them? He doesn't answer some questions the way you like. Does that mean he is an asshole? Also, you fail to bring up any specific comments from interviews to prove your point

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only good player interviews are the ones that are different. Seems like 95% of them are completely interchangeable drivel.

"We worked really hard......the other team made things challenging for us......we're going to look forward to our next opponent......my teammates did a great job......we have to execute better......practice and film study blah blah blah......"

Be humble, always look for ways to improve, don't dwell on bad performances, give credit to teammates and opponents, demonstrate your strong work ethic. I'm not going to buy too much into what he said in his interviews or what any player says in their interviews.