• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Transition...and it isn't a bad thing

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I keep looking at the Flyers and the rest of the league.
I remember what the Flyers looked like in 79-80 and 80-81.

Here is what I have come up with.

The Flyers have some wonderful talent that is young and still getting better. Giroux, Voracek, Cooter, Laughton, Read, Raffl, Brayden Schenn. The forward position is not a problem.

On the blue line the Flyers have only one real "young" player at the NHL level. Luke Schenn. Braydon Coburn is an established NHL player who still has more upside with the right partner. MacDonald also has more upside than he gets credit for, but he is not a physical force nor is he a PP leader. The remainder of the blue line is long of tooth, a step slower than would be hoped and one good hit away from the DL.

Why is any of this a good thing? Because this team, barring a major injury, is good enough to compete and make the playoffs...if they show up and play 60 minutes. They could even win a round or two. I don't think they could go on a tear like the 79-80 team, but they have that same vibe.

What is positive is that in the next two seasons the blue line will be getting younger. Hagg, Morin, Gostibshere,... Sandheim in another year or two after that. The future is not only bright, but worth waiting for. In the mean time the forwards will keep this team competitive and fun to watch. Mason is good enough to keep the Flyers in games when the forwards alone are not enough.

It will be frustrating at times. It will be maddening. But it is kinda okay. This team will be okay to good to above average..but it will be even better soon.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true, I feel the same way about the Pens this upcoming season.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main concern with this team moving forward and re-building the defense is the use of Giroux's prime. Schenn and Couturier should be fine, but when our blueline prospects come around will Giroux still be able to be a #1 center?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main concern with this team moving forward and re-building the defense is the use of Giroux's prime. Schenn and Couturier should be fine, but when our blueline prospects come around will Giroux still be able to be a #1 center?

I wouldn't worry, G will still be young enough when they come around

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I keep looking at the Flyers and the rest of the league.
I remember what the Flyers looked like in 79-80 and 80-81.

Here is what I have come up with.

The Flyers have some wonderful talent that is young and still getting better. Giroux, Voracek, Cooter, Laughton, Read, Raffl, Brayden Schenn. The forward position is not a problem.

On the blue line the Flyers have only one real "young" player at the NHL level. Luke Schenn. Braydon Coburn is an established NHL player who still has more upside with the right partner. MacDonald also has more upside than he gets credit for, but he is not a physical force nor is he a PP leader. The remainder of the blue line is long of tooth, a step slower than would be hoped and one good hit away from the DL.

Why is any of this a good thing? Because this team, barring a major injury, is good enough to compete and make the playoffs...if they show up and play 60 minutes. They could even win a round or two. I don't think they could go on a tear like the 79-80 team, but they have that same vibe.

What is positive is that in the next two seasons the blue line will be getting younger. Hagg, Morin, Gostibshere,... Sandheim in another year or two after that. The future is not only bright, but worth waiting for. In the mean time the forwards will keep this team competitive and fun to watch. Mason is good enough to keep the Flyers in games when the forwards alone are not enough.

It will be frustrating at times. It will be maddening. But it is kinda okay. This team will be okay to good to above average..but it will be even better soon.

Being a little older than some of you guys that are still crapping yellow,this scenario has been familiar with Flyers teams for the past 30+ years.They have had so many rosters with great potential,that were 1 key cog from being there.(Usually goaltending).

This years roster IMO is weak at left winger,and we are in dire need of a solid pp defenceman.

On the bright side-I think Hextall is going to do everything he can to address,and correct these problems.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if it's a transitional season, I still got the Flyers 2nd in the division behind the Rangers...

1. Rangers
2. Flyers
3. Blue Jackets
4. Devils
5. Capitals
6. Hurricanes
7. Penguins
8. Islanders

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if it's a transitional season, I still got the Flyers 2nd in the division behind the Rangers...

1. Rangers
2. Flyers
3. Blue Jackets
4. Devils
5. Capitals
6. Hurricanes
7. Penguins
8. Islanders

With Orpik and Niskannen on the blue line, I don't see the Caps finishing that high, but I agree with the rest of your ranking.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Orpik and Niskannen on the blue line, I don't see the Caps finishing that high, but I agree with the rest of your ranking.

I actually disagree w/ that. Those contracts are nasty, but adding the players themselves will greatly help the Caps.

I think the Metro is wide open this year. I don't think any one team stands out. I think the Rangers got significantly worse this offseason (Stralman+Boyle+Richards out). I could see any of the teams, except maybe the Hurricanes, winning the division. I don't think it will be in discussions for 'best divsion' but I do think it will be in the running for 'closest division'.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually disagree w/ that. Those contracts are nasty, but adding the players themselves will greatly help the Caps.

I think the Metro is wide open this year. I don't think any one team stands out. I think the Rangers got significantly worse this offseason (Stralman+Boyle+Richards out). I could see any of the teams, except maybe the Hurricanes, winning the division. I don't think it will be in discussions for 'best divsion' but I do think it will be in the running for 'closest division'.

If the Flyers get off to a better start this upcoming season, that may be enough to win the division - I think the Flyers still have the best offense + best goaltender of any team in the division - the Rangers have a little better goalie than the Flyers but not as good of an offense, while the Penguins have maybe a little better high end talent but not a better goalie than the Flyers - so it should be interesting to see what happens

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Flyers get off to a better start this upcoming season, that may be enough to win the division - I think the Flyers still have the best offense + best goaltender of any team in the division - the Rangers have a little better goalie than the Flyers but not as good of an offense, while the Penguins have maybe a little better high end talent but not a better goalie than the Flyers - so it should be interesting to see what happens

I agree, I absolutely think the Flyers could win the division. I think they are deep enough on offense, though I'm a little concerned at LW. The bottom 6 should be one of the better bottom 6s in the league I think. I think the defense is solid, it's not going to win them a lot of games, but it shouldn't kill them. and then mase is a solid goalie.

I think the flyers, rangers, pens, bjs, and caps are the high end of the division, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Isles or Devils make a run at it either. The top 5 all have great pieces, they're just not completely there. I think I'm gunna say:

1. BJs
2. Flyers
3. Caps
4. Rangers
5. Pens
6. Isles
7. Devils
8. Canes

only like 5-7 points between 1 and 7.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I absolutely think the Flyers could win the division. I think they are deep enough on offense, though I'm a little concerned at LW. The bottom 6 should be one of the better bottom 6s in the league I think. I think the defense is solid, it's not going to win them a lot of games, but it shouldn't kill them. and then mase is a solid goalie.

I think the flyers, rangers, pens, bjs, and caps are the high end of the division, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Isles or Devils make a run at it either. The top 5 all have great pieces, they're just not completely there. I think I'm gunna say:

1. BJs
2. Flyers
3. Caps
4. Rangers
5. Pens
6. Isles
7. Devils
8. Canes

I still wouldn't be surprised to see the Penguins play really well in the regular season, but I don't know what they're really going to look like in the regular season - they made a few good moves actually but they still have some guys who will be out for awhile on defense so that might change the dynamics a bit

It's hard to predict what the standings are going to look like: 1) It's still late-July and 2) A lot of teams are really close to each other

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still wouldn't be surprised to see the Penguins play really well in the regular season, but I don't know what they're really going to look like in the regular season - they made a few good moves actually but they still have some guys who will be out for awhile on defense so that might change the dynamics a bit

It's hard to predict what the standings are going to look like: 1) It's still late-July and 2) A lot of teams are really close to each other

This might be some orange colored glasses, but I really don't think the Pens are going to be all that competitive this year. Crosby and Malkin are good, but after them, they really don't have much IMO. Their bottom 6 is still pretty useless, their top 6 takes a step back without Neal, and their defense only got worse with the loss of Niskanen/Orpik. Ehroff balances some of that out, pretty much Niskanen, but I think they'll miss Orpik. Letang, Martin, Scuderi, and Depres aren't scaring anyone, barring a bounce back year from Letang. Maata is good, but it's only his 2nd year.

And then there's Fleury...

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be some orange colored glasses, but I really don't think the Pens are going to be all that competitive this year. Crosby and Malkin are good, but after them, they really don't have much IMO. Their bottom 6 is still pretty useless, their top 6 takes a step back without Neal, and their defense only got worse with the loss of Niskanen/Orpik. Ehroff balances some of that out, pretty much Niskanen, but I think they'll miss Orpik. Letang, Martin, Scuderi, and Depres aren't scaring anyone, barring a bounce back year from Letang. Maata is good, but it's only his 2nd year.

And then there's Fleury...

They were able to add Hornqvist(who actually might be the BEST fit for what the Penguins need) and Nick Spaling, who should be a much better talent on the 3rd and 4th line then guys like Tanner Glass, so that is an upgrade for sure - also, while Steve Downie was done with the Flyers, he does give them some skill on the 3rd and 4th line and depth was an issue for them in previous years so they look like they're a little better in that department - also, there's a chance Kasperi Kapanen makes the team so if he does, their bottom lines look a little bit better too

On defense, I actually think Ehrhoff is a slight upgrade on Matt Niskanen - I like Ehrhoff's a game a lot and I think he's a winner, he made the Canucks a really good team and when he left them I think there was a big void there in Vancouver - also, with Orpik gone, yes he is a veteran presence, but younger guys with a little more skill can step in for cheap and learn the ropes which isn't a bad thing - the only thing, like I mentioned earlier, is guys like Pouliot and Maatta being out the first two months or so of the season, that could deter them from winning the division because of a lack of d-depth early on, but they've made a few upgrades on their team

We'll see - I'm not sure what they'll look like, it's a wait and see type of thing, but it wouldn't surprise me if they still play really well in the regular season

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As pointed out...LW will be a possible weak link. There is no real obvious choice to play with G, or Schenn for that matter.

That said, as a team in transition I still think the Flyers are better suited and lead going into this season than last.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Can the young forwards take the next step in their offensive development to offset the loss of Hartnell?

2) How much will aging Streit and Timonen decline, and can an already slow Grossmann return to form from ANOTHER leg surgery?

3) Was Mason's year just another one-year flash in the pan like he was his rookie year?

The answer to those questions will dictate the Flyers' season.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were able to add Hornqvist(who actually might be the BEST fit for what the Penguins need) and Nick Spaling, who should be a much better talent on the 3rd and 4th line then guys like Tanner Glass, so that is an upgrade for sure - also, while Steve Downie was done with the Flyers, he does give them some skill on the 3rd and 4th line and depth was an issue for them in previous years so they look like they're a little better in that department - also, there's a chance Kasperi Kapanen makes the team so if he does, their bottom lines look a little bit better too

On defense, I actually think Ehrhoff is a slight upgrade on Matt Niskanen - I like Ehrhoff's a game a lot and I think he's a winner, he made the Canucks a really good team and when he left them I think there was a big void there in Vancouver - also, with Orpik gone, yes he is a veteran presence, but younger guys with a little more skill can step in for cheap and learn the ropes which isn't a bad thing - the only thing, like I mentioned earlier, is guys like Pouliot and Maatta being out the first two months or so of the season, that could deter them from winning the division because of a lack of d-depth early on, but they've made a few upgrades on their team

We'll see - I'm not sure what they'll look like, it's a wait and see type of thing, but it wouldn't surprise me if they still play really well in the regular season

they do have some talent on defense, but they don't have anyone that truly plays defense other than Scuderi. Martin, Letang, Pouliot, Maata, and Ehrhoff are all puck movers first. I get that's the 'new age' thing to do, but I think we'll see that cause some serious problems for the Pens, and I expect Fluery to take most of the blame, but it won't be all his fault.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Can the young forwards take the next step in their offensive development to offset the loss of Hartnell?

2) How much will aging Streit and Timonen decline, and can an already slow Grossmann return to form from ANOTHER leg surgery?

3) Was Mason's year just another one-year flash in the pan like he was his rookie year?

The answer to those questions will dictate the Flyers' season.

I'm very confident in those young forwards and our goalie. Grossmann will be fine and Streit has half as many Nhl miles on him as Timonen, so I'm not concerned there either. I think with MacDonald, Coburn and even Streit still logging huge minutes, Timonen will be rested more often if necessary. It's the strangest thing, but Luke Schenn is also due to play huge minutes this coming season as his ice time rotates every other season.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I could see the Hurricanes doing better than the Capitals as well.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. BJs
2. Flyers
3. Caps
4. Rangers
5. Pens
6. Isles
7. Devils
8. Canes

BJ's & Capitals on top of the division huh? IDK about that one, but you're right about the division being wide open.