• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trading in a non driveable car

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, my brake lines went on my 2000 olds alero. Guy quoted me 400-600 to fix the lines. But when he had it on the lift, went through a bunch of stuff that signified my car wasn't a long term bet to last, suspension is going, exhaust was going, anti freeze on the under carriage from somewhere. Add to that some rust on the quarter panels, and an interior that isn't holding up well.

Considering I'd have to tow the car to get it there, I'm wondering if I should ever bother, or just scrap the vehicle?

Anyone have experience trading in a beater?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
element, with all due respect, if you buy your cars from dealerships I can't give you any advice, man.

Want to know what I'd do?

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
element, with all due respect, if you buy your cars from dealerships I can't give you any advice, man.

Want to know what I'd do?

Handies and blowies at truckstops?

:pound:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I missed one thing. The car isn't driveable? Man, I'm thinking these brake lines can be repaired at a non-chain brake shop for MUCH less than $600.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I missed one thing. The car isn't driveable? Man, I'm thinking these brake lines can be repaired at a non-chain brake shop for MUCH less than $600.

Yeah, unfortunately, I'd still be driving it if I could.

I've shopped around, non chain places I've gone to before.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A dealer isn't going to give you anything for it. He'll show you something on a trade in difference price, but it will be zero. It will cost him money to get it hauled off.

You might try some salvage yards or pull-a-part places. They'll usually give you a few hundred dollars for it and they will come out with their own tow truck and haul it off.

You could part it out, but that takes a lot of time and effort for not a lot more return.

How much over $300 did you want for it.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A dealer isn't going to give you anything for it. He'll show you something on a trade in difference price, but it will be zero. It will cost him money to get it hauled off.

You might try some salvage yards or pull-a-part places. They'll usually give you a few hundred dollars for it and they will come out with their own tow truck and haul it off.

You could part it out, but that takes a lot of time and effort for not a lot more return.

Kind of what I figured about trading it in. They'll just try to upsell me instead of giving actual value.

It's got new tires within the last year, and the engine only has 40k on it, so it probably a good parts car. I really have no set price for it, I'd take anything, right now it's a liability for me since it's just sitting in front of my house not able to be move.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This or if you can revisit the brake lines yourself. See if it's at least drive able . I don't tend to trust mechanics I only use them when under warranty. If the car is drive able see what peddle will quote you at. I got 849 from them off a junk neon I was using as a beater car. I just made sure I had it driving first to get more value for it. I believe they quote you regardless though. Shop around on ditching it

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Find a charity around you. Here there is one called Can Academy. They will take cars running or not for donation. They will come and tow it for you, saving you money, and then you get a tax writeoff for it. Then they turn around and have people train on how to work on the cars and resell them to help underprivileged youth. I think you would "make" more by using it as a write off instead of trying to sell it for scrap.

edit: found this http://pittsburgh.wheelsforwishes.org/

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This or if you can revisit the brake lines yourself. See if it's at least drive able . I don't tend to trust mechanics I only use them when under warranty. If the car is drive able see what peddle will quote you at. I got 849 from them off a junk neon I was using as a beater car. I just made sure I had it driving first to get more value for it. I believe they quote you regardless though. Shop around on ditching it

Unfortunately, I don't see a way I can drive it, the line to the rear brakes is rusted through, and there is no pressure in the brakes lines, the fluid just runs out.

But yeah, I'm gonna shop around for what I can get.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Find a charity around you. Here there is one called Can Academy. They will take cars running or not for donation. They will come and tow it for you, saving you money, and then you get a tax writeoff for it. Then they turn around and have people train on how to work on the cars and resell them to help underprivileged youth. I think you would "make" more by using it as a write off instead of trying to sell it for scrap.

edit: found this Make-A-Wish Car Donation Pennsylvania and West Virginia

Hadn't thought of this route, but will take a look into it for sure.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of what I figured about trading it in. They'll just try to upsell me instead of giving actual value.

It's got new tires within the last year, and the engine only has 40k on it, so it probably a good parts car. I really have no set price for it, I'd take anything, right now it's a liability for me since it's just sitting in front of my house not able to be move.

New tires and 40k on engine?! Man, don't let a rusted brake line make you junk this car! Even if it's $600, why not consider the investment and then just drive the wheels off of it?

I listened to my Dad and Dave Ramsey for too many yrs. I just think of cars as a means to get from Point A to Point B anymore. I wouldn't go to a stealership if it was the only place to get a car.

I bet you could repair this yourself.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what kind of car are you going to get next??

Sedan, decent cargo, used 2011 or newer, under 15k is what I'm looking at now; Fusion, Optima, Camry, Impala, Malibu is what I'm looking at now.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New tires and 40k on engine?! Man, don't let a rusted brake line make you junk this car! Even if it's $600, why not consider the investment and then just drive the wheels off of it?

I listened to my Dad and Dave Ramsey for too many yrs. I just think of cars as a means to get from Point A to Point B anymore. I wouldn't go to a stealership if it was the only place to get a car.

I bet you could repair this yourself.

It's turning into a rust bucket, especially underneath the car, stuff is starting to flake off. I view cars the same way, just don't think I can rely on this one anymore. I know the engine is fine, but the rest of the car is falling apart.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you could just seal off the brake line to the back brakes, only have front brakes, drive it to a dealer and see what he would give you for it, say it needs a brake job.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$600 is a lot of money as that must include replacing all the brake lines and most likely the wheel cylinders if you have drum brakes in the back. Making everything new from the Master Cylinder back.

I have an older 1996 Chevy Blazer with 255,000 miles on it and had the same thing happen the brake line rusted through halfway to the back axle. I use to be a certified auto tech and knew what I was doing and bought 20ft of brake line and made my own and was able to open the wheel cylinders to bleed the air out and was able to get it repaired for roughly $50

If the bleeder screws wouldnt have opened I would have needed to get wheel cylinders which would have added another $30 to the price.

If someone can just replace the line that is broken and bleed the air out you should be able to find someone to do it cheaper brakes are not that hard to do.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$600 is a lot of money as that must include replacing all the brake lines and most likely the wheel cylinders if you have drum brakes in the back. Making everything new from the Master Cylinder back.

I have an older 1996 Chevy Blazer with 255,000 miles on it and had the same thing happen the brake line rusted through halfway to the back axle. I use to be a certified auto tech and knew what I was doing and bought 20ft of brake line and made my own and was able to open the wheel cylinders to bleed the air out and was able to get it repaired for roughly $50

If the bleeder screws wouldnt have opened I would have needed to get wheel cylinders which would have added another $30 to the price.

If someone can just replace the line that is broken and bleed the air out you should be able to find someone to do it cheaper brakes are not that hard to do.

Not sure I have the where with-all to tackle this one. But for the sake of argument, whole job, how long would this take assuming the person knows how to do it? They are disc brakes in the back, btw.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A friend of mine once had a real POS that wouldn't run and hadn't run for a couple years. He got a friend with a truck to push him on the street to get up speed and coasted it into the dealer. lol...they gave him $2,500 and it wasn't worth $100. After they cut the deal, he saw some dealership guy try to start it and then go open the hood to find hoses and shit just laying on the engine.