• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 7 NFL HC candidates

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip Kelly, Perry Fewell among top NFL head coach candidates - NFL.com

Brad Seely

Current job: Special teams coordinator, San Francisco 49ers

Seely has an excellent résumé and should garner consideration for any head-coaching vacancies following the season. He has coached in the NFL for 22 seasons, 10 of which were spent as the special teams coach under Bill Belichick in New England. He has transformed the 49ers' special teams unit into the NFL's very best. The fact that Baltimore's John Harbaugh has successfully made the transition from special teams coach to head coach should help Seely's candidacy.

Former player: "Brad was very well respected in our locker room. He is very detailed and he knows how to communicate."

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were to hire one out of that group Perry Fewell would probably be my top choice.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seely intrigues me. Three of my favorites candidates who've never been head coaches before: Rob Ryan, Winston Moss and Greg Manusky, didn't even make that list. I was thinking it'd be longer. They're often on other lists, though.

My favorites list has shrunk considerably over the last couple years. Mike Nolan, Rex Ryan, Mike Tomlin, Hue Jackson, Jim Schwartz, Gary Kubiak, Chuck Pagano, and Joe Philbin all have gotten a shot.

As far as retreads go, and this is obviously getting away from the original topic, Brian Billick would be at or near the top of that list. I liked Jeff Fisher before he went to STL. Mangini borders on a very intriguing choice, though in TODAY'S NFL, I still somewhat lean towards looking at him as just a defensive coordinator.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you think Mangini blew his chance from his stellar turn in Cleveland? Or did that just prove he needed a GM to make all the personnel decisions?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't you think Mangini blew his chance from his stellar turn in Cleveland? Or did that just prove he needed a GM to make all the personnel decisions?

Without alot of facts to go off of, I wouldn't say he "blew" his chances at another gig. I don't think he was that much of a disaster that he would scare off every single owner from now until he's done coaching. I think he's the type of person/coach that may not be a great fit for a many owners and GMs, though, so I think he would only be a realistic choice for some teams. I think he may need to come back as a position coach or coordinator first, before he's ever given the chance to interview for a head coaching position.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long away from the NFL is too long, though? Mangini's coming on 2 years now, right? Even Bill Cowher's name doesn't seem to be as hot anymore, though I'm not too sure.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think Rick Dennison would be a top choice as well. I've spoken on this before, but he has done an incredible job his entire career.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seely intrigues me. Three of my favorites candidates who've never been head coaches before: Rob Ryan, Winston Moss and Greg Manusky, didn't even make that list. I was thinking it'd be longer. They're often on other lists, though.

My favorites list has shrunk considerably over the last couple years. Mike Nolan, Rex Ryan, Mike Tomlin, Hue Jackson, Jim Schwartz, Gary Kubiak, Chuck Pagano, and Joe Philbin all have gotten a shot.

As far as retreads go, and this is obviously getting away from the original topic, Brian Billick would be at or near the top of that list. I liked Jeff Fisher before he went to STL. Mangini borders on a very intriguing choice, though in TODAY'S NFL, I still somewhat lean towards looking at him as just a defensive coordinator.

I know you have spoken highly of Billick for years. Do you actually think he would consider coming back, though?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know you have spoken highly of Billick for years. Do you actually think he would consider coming back, though?

I think there's a chance he'd still consider interviewing for a head coaching job again. He has said in the past that he won't take just any job, but I haven't seen anything lately from him that suggests he'd turn away everybody.

He was reportedly interested in interviewing for the Bills job but they didn't even call him before hiring Gailey. He confirmed he had an interest in interviewing with the Miami Dolphins before they hired Joe Philbin.

Many people suggested him being a good fit for the Jacksonville Jaguars because of Blaine Gabbert and a young offense, but he said that they were looking for somebody "young and cheap" and that "I'm neither of those things." Without a change of heart, he's obviously not going to settle for middle-of-the-road money and I think he could pass on other jobs with a big rebuild because of his age.

He also has a very strong personality and it's been said that he might want/require some power on the personnel side if he comes back. He's not going to be for every owner or GM that doesn't want a strong, big personality figure that also wants considerable power.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can a list be credible if Vic Fangio isn't mentioned?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's a chance he'd still consider interviewing for a head coaching job again. He has said in the past that he won't take just any job, but I haven't seen anything lately from him that suggests he'd turn away everybody.

He was reportedly interested in interviewing for the Bills job but they didn't even call him before hiring Gailey. He confirmed he had an interest in interviewing with the Miami Dolphins before they hired Joe Philbin.

Many people suggested him being a good fit for the Jacksonville Jaguars because of Blaine Gabbert and a young offense, but he said that they were looking for somebody "young and cheap" and that "I'm neither of those things." Without a change of heart, he's obviously not going to settle for middle-of-the-road money and I think he could pass on other jobs with a big rebuild because of his age.

He also has a very strong personality and it's been said that he might want/require some power on the personnel side if he comes back. He's not going to be for every owner or GM that doesn't want a strong, big personality figure that also wants considerable power.

Thanks for that info. I think he would be an excellent choice for Buffalo. He would probably get his choice of a QB in the draft as well. I'd like to see him land there if anywhere, but the Browns would also be an interesting choice IMO. I don't know what Jacksonville was thinking when they signed Mularkey. Look how well the Falcons have done without him. They need to completely reshuffle their team and coaching staff IMO.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
God forbid we were ever to lose Jim, I wouldn't mind trying to lure Pat Fitzgerald to come lead our squad back to contention. It would take a miracle though for him to leave his current job, he loves it so much and has already turned down 6 big schools from what I have heard (lucrative deals too).

Cam Cameron should get another shot some place else. Mike Murlakey could be a hot name once again and has the skills to relate well to the players.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God forbid we were ever to lose Jim, I wouldn't mind trying to lure Pat Fitzgerald to come lead our squad back to contention. It would take a miracle though for him to leave his current job, he loves it so much and has already turned down 6 big schools from what I have heard (lucrative deals too).

Cam Cameron should get another shot some place else. Mike Murlakey could be a hot name once again and has the skills to relate well to the players.

I certainly hope Jim is a long term HC (10+ years) but I worry what will happen when/if we start losing. Right now we are winning and he is ferocious; he might need to be institutionalized if/when we ever start losing ;)