• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 65 QB's Based On 2013 Season (Cutler #11, McCown #22)

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The formula for the rankings are in the first page of the link. IMO, it's a pretty good read. The Bleacher Report format sucks though, Jesus. Why the slides still? 67 freaking slides? How on earth do they not see that this is antiquated?

B/R NFL 1000: Top 65 Quarterbacks | Bleacher Report

#11 - Jay Cutler

Accuracy

It's rare for a quarterback with such a strong arm to have the control that Jay Cutler (6'3", 220 lbs, eight seasons) does. His ball placement in particular stands out, as he often led his receivers away from big hits. It would be easy for Cutler to become too relaxed with his accuracy because of the weapons he has around him, but that was not the case in 2013.

Arm Strength

One of the most impressive arms in the NFL, Cutler has incredible power and velocity, but he also understands how to throw touch passes.

Decision Making

Marc Trestman and an improved offensive line have allowed Cutler to boost his decision making. He was clearly more composed in 2013 than he was in 2012. He still had moments when he made poor decisions reading the coverage or rushing from the pocket too quickly. But for the most part, he played like a smart quarterback in 2013.

Mechanics

Cutler is clearly improving his footwork under Trestman, but he is still inconsistent in terms of stepping into his throws. Too often he only relies on his arm to find receivers underneath. It works most of the time, but he would be more consistent with his ball placement if he refined his approach. It should be noted that he has a quick and compact release.

Mobility

Cutler is fast enough to escape the pocket when under pressure and gain efficient yardage underneath. He won't break off big gains, but that ability and his quick feet in the pocket make him one of the more mobile quarterbacks in the NFL.

Overall

Although Josh McCown was productive in relief of Cutler in 2013, there was no real comparison between their performances on the field. It's easy to see why the Bears invested in Cutler with a long-term contract.

#22 - Josh McCown

Accuracy

Had Josh McCown (6'4", 213 lbs, 11 seasons) played for another team, his inaccuracy would have received much more attention. He regularly overthrew, underthrew and simply missed his receivers, but often those passes still resulted in completions because of the outstanding ball skills and size of his targets. On a number of occasions, McCown's poor accuracy should have led to interceptions, but a combination of penalties and bad defensive play let him off the hook.

Arm Strength

McCown doesn't have a strong arm. He can put enough on the ball to get by, but his passes don't carry their velocity down the field, and he can't fit the ball into tight windows on a regular basis.

Decision Making

The veteran quarterback deserves a lot of credit for his awareness and obvious comfort level on the field in relief of Jay Cutler. It's not easy for backups to step in and allow the offense to not miss a beat. The biggest reason for McCown's success was his patience in the pocket and his ability to diagnose coverages quickly.

Mechanics

McCown keeps the ball high, has a quick, compact release and understands how to set his feet quickly. He can comfortably find receivers down the field while on the move outside of the pocket because he keeps his shoulders square to the line of scrimmage and understands how to properly set his feet for balance.

Mobility

McCown won't keep up with some of the top athletes playing the quarterback position in today's NFL, but he is quick and agile in the pocket. He is able to subtly step away from pressure or escape from a collapsing pocket with relative ease.

Overall

McCown is in the perfect spot in Chicago. In another offense with a different supporting cast, his poor accuracy would likely be his downfall.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although Josh McCown was productive in relief of Cutler in 2013, there was no real comparison between their performances on the field. It's easy to see why the Bears invested in Cutler with a long-term contract.

McCown is in the perfect spot in Chicago. In another offense with a different supporting cast, his poor accuracy would likely be his downfall.

THIS!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

THIS!!!!!!!

I posted this, because I felt that, in particular that part was worded quite well.

I mean, it's a good read. For all 65 QB's. It's interesting the formula they use, and it seemed pretty damn accurate if you're just talking about 2013. Even though, strangely enough Foles was ranked #14.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started scratching my head when I saw Ryan Mallet ahead of guys like Tarvaris Jackson, T.J. Yates, Case Keenum, Matt Schaub, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kirk Cousins, Matt Hasselbeck, etc. It surprises me because Mallett has only thrown 4 NFL passes (1 for 4 with 1 INT and 17 yards), and because Mallett was woefully inaccurate in college. Dude has a monster of an arm, but couldn't hit the water if he was falling out of a boat and is a statue in the pocket. I'm surprised that this writer gave him so much credit.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, did anyone catch the interview with Alshon at the Probowl? He made an interesting distinction between Jay and Josh, the velocity of the football tossed by each is very different.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wins and losses, stats dont get us to the playoffs.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wins and losses, stats dont get us to the playoffs.

Yup. Another statistic that Jay dominates Josh in throughout his career. McCown is 18-41 in his NFL career. Thanks for contributing.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Another statistic that Jay dominates Josh in throughout his career. McCown is 18-41 in his NFL career. Thanks for contributing.

So if you go by that.......does this mean Grossman was better than Jay then cause he played in the SB?

Thanks for contributing........

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if you go by that.......does this mean Grossman was better than Jay then cause he played in the SB?

Thanks for contributing........

Uh...

#1 - I never said I go by that. He did.

#2 - Even if I did go by that. Jay has a superior winning percentage and record to Rex.

So what the hell are you talking about? That was a really sad attempt at whatever it was you were trying to do. I'd probably just slowly creep my way out of the conversation.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh...

#1 - I never said I go by that. He did.

#2 - Even if I did go by that. Jay has a superior winning percentage and record to Rex.

So what the hell are you talking about? That was a really sad attempt at whatever it was you were trying to do. I'd probably just slowly creep my way out of the conversation.

And… he crept out.

As the Cutler bashers generally do, when they're faced with facts that they don't trunk up by themselves.