• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 things I learned from our 18 Play Drive

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone saw the Browns game (or is watching right now on NFL Network) the Rams had a very telling 18 play drive, which, ended in a field goal... that should be the first point right there.

I wanted to list a few things I took from here (besides not being able to finish).

1. Austin Davis grinds! That was a very long drive that was interrupted by the ending of the 3rd Quarter. While every pass wasn't on key, I noted him being hit on most bad throws. Davis took the ball one play and ran down the field, he is not afraid to be a team player and take a hit. He also caused a penalty on (i think) Bayer when he didn't allow him set in time.

2. Bayer deserves a chance. So the great TE debate is between the UDFA Alex Bayer and Justice Cunningham who was last pick of the 2013 draft. Bayer may struggle at blocking way more than Cunningham can, but JC can't catch and I think he has a more limited ceiling. Lets cut him, maybe we can pick up for PS but I don't think it matters much, I rather Bayer be on the team and have a year to develop blocking while potentially being able to add to our passing game. The risk-reward is higher for Bayer - keep him!

3. Tre v. Trey: Tre didn't really have a nice play at all, but when he was they kept trying to hand him the ball. Trey on the other hand struggled to block on-coming traffic (which Davis showed his athletic to make up for it a little bit) but excelled with the ball in his hand. Sure, he got stuffed like Tre did, but made some very nice plays, both catching and being handed the ball. I'm more interested in him then I once was (and he also scored on the next drive... should we get him a jersey?).

4. Think about who've we talked about! So we talked about Alex Bayer and Tray Watt making some nice plays, and an 18 play drive. Can anyone think of why these are negatives? Well... they kept getting the ball because they were the check downs! Note I haven't talked about Davis throwing the ball downfield... as I don't think he attempted a downfield throw! Why? Because THAT IS THE OFFENSE! If you try to see the Bradford play (you can watch this video which shows the play a few times: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/is-ram...-the-answer-may-surprise-you---225739976.html) he was also throwing a check down! And his body looks completely turned during the throw, which may explain the stress on the ligament! (I'm not a doctor so don't cite me) This offense sucks!

5. FIRE SCHOTTY! HE flat out sucks.... I'm sorry. As some of you may know I live in NJ and I've seen this saga before when he coached the Jets and ruined MS (who I hated the pick anyway, but Schotty did NOT help him or Rex advance the team). His offense is super limited and promotes the check down! Davis missed a few downfield throws by throwing to the closer receiver (normally a RB or TE) when he could've had 25 yard passes that could move the chains! Don't get me wrong, we played well on this drive (on throughout the pre-season) but the offense is horrible! He needs to go so we can build a real offense that can win games, not just keep us in them and bank on the defense being dominate!

So in conclusion, I really think Schotty is a waste of time and not helping the team. I'm also for trying Austin Davis at QB. I understand Hill was brought in to play if Bradford got hurt, but when you have a whole season ahead of you, we have some time. If Hill struggles throughout the season, I think it is only fair to let Davis play! I think he has some potential and can move in the pocket and pick up first downs. He is a gamer, and we can be risky with him, after-all if something bad happens we didn't lose our $50M franchise QB, we lose a young kid who is filling the void in a season that even with a top 5 defense (which has injury problems) we probably won't make the playoffs... I don't see to many downsides to letting him play, especially if Hill struggles.

Rant/

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the 2s and 3s out there. I dunno it's a messy game in the 4th

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atleast we got a win going into the season. Mighty provide a bit of hope or a spark.

I saidly missed a game helping a second grader with spelling prep...

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atleast we got a win going into the season. Mighty provide a bit of hope or a spark.

I saidly missed a game helping a second grader with spelling prep...

Wait did we win last night? I thought we lost 13-14? Or are you referring to the Cleveland game? I'd gladly change that win to a loss to have Bradford and Johnson back. Hell I'd change it to a loss just to get Johnson back.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Jacobarch, its the 2nd and 3rd stringers playing.

However, Schotty still sucks.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait did we win last night? I thought we lost 13-14? Or are you referring to the Cleveland game? I'd gladly change that win to a loss to have Bradford and Johnson back. Hell I'd change it to a loss just to get Johnson back.

He watched the replay of the Browns game, which is what he's commenting on I believe.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone saw the Browns game (or is watching right now on NFL Network) the Rams had a very telling 18 play drive, which, ended in a field goal... that should be the first point right there.

I wanted to list a few things I took from here (besides not being able to finish).

1. Austin Davis grinds! That was a very long drive that was interrupted by the ending of the 3rd Quarter. While every pass wasn't on key, I noted him being hit on most bad throws. Davis took the ball one play and ran down the field, he is not afraid to be a team player and take a hit. He also caused a penalty on (i think) Bayer when he didn't allow him set in time.

2. Bayer deserves a chance. So the great TE debate is between the UDFA Alex Bayer and Justice Cunningham who was last pick of the 2013 draft. Bayer may struggle at blocking way more than Cunningham can, but JC can't catch and I think he has a more limited ceiling. Lets cut him, maybe we can pick up for PS but I don't think it matters much, I rather Bayer be on the team and have a year to develop blocking while potentially being able to add to our passing game. The risk-reward is higher for Bayer - keep him!

3. Tre v. Trey: Tre didn't really have a nice play at all, but when he was they kept trying to hand him the ball. Trey on the other hand struggled to block on-coming traffic (which Davis showed his athletic to make up for it a little bit) but excelled with the ball in his hand. Sure, he got stuffed like Tre did, but made some very nice plays, both catching and being handed the ball. I'm more interested in him then I once was (and he also scored on the next drive... should we get him a jersey?).

4. Think about who've we talked about! So we talked about Alex Bayer and Tray Watt making some nice plays, and an 18 play drive. Can anyone think of why these are negatives? Well... they kept getting the ball because they were the check downs! Note I haven't talked about Davis throwing the ball downfield... as I don't think he attempted a downfield throw! Why? Because THAT IS THE OFFENSE! If you try to see the Bradford play (you can watch this video which shows the play a few times: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/is-ram...-the-answer-may-surprise-you---225739976.html) he was also throwing a check down! And his body looks completely turned during the throw, which may explain the stress on the ligament! (I'm not a doctor so don't cite me) This offense sucks!

5. FIRE SCHOTTY! HE flat out sucks.... I'm sorry. As some of you may know I live in NJ and I've seen this saga before when he coached the Jets and ruined MS (who I hated the pick anyway, but Schotty did NOT help him or Rex advance the team). His offense is super limited and promotes the check down! Davis missed a few downfield throws by throwing to the closer receiver (normally a RB or TE) when he could've had 25 yard passes that could move the chains! Don't get me wrong, we played well on this drive (on throughout the pre-season) but the offense is horrible! He needs to go so we can build a real offense that can win games, not just keep us in them and bank on the defense being dominate!

So in conclusion, I really think Schotty is a waste of time and not helping the team. I'm also for trying Austin Davis at QB. I understand Hill was brought in to play if Bradford got hurt, but when you have a whole season ahead of you, we have some time. If Hill struggles throughout the season, I think it is only fair to let Davis play! I think he has some potential and can move in the pocket and pick up first downs. He is a gamer, and we can be risky with him, after-all if something bad happens we didn't lose our $50M franchise QB, we lose a young kid who is filling the void in a season that even with a top 5 defense (which has injury problems) we probably won't make the playoffs... I don't see to many downsides to letting him play, especially if Hill struggles.

Rant/
Nice OP ICE!

Can't say I agree with everything but none the less well done sir! :suds:

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks Vita

I do agree it was backups, but its the offense. And most the comments were about the players we are deciding to keep or not.

I do agree that I need to see more Hill tape, but either way, if the season is going bad, we may as well let Davis finish it (not saying opening day or anything but depending on our record)

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks Vita

I do agree it was backups, but its the offense. And most the comments were about the players we are deciding to keep or not.

I do agree that I need to see more Hill tape, but either way, if the season is going bad, we may as well let Davis finish it (not saying opening day or anything but depending on our record)
Here's the deal Ice.

Jeff Fisher is no idiot, he's been there and done that. He knows what the fuck is going on. TBT, none of us here on the hoop can hold his jock strap. I believe that.

So for all those fooling themselves that they know better about the Sam Bradford situation, please that's just frustration talking....

That said, I am too sure Jeff and his front office folks had a plan given the unsure circumstances with Sam Bradford. I don't think they were blindsided.

They knew, to have a chance this year they would need a guy who would work in their system of Ground and Pound, Play Good Defense and Good Special Teams.

Hill, for that much does seem to be the fit. I think this is why Retro is stating the Rams season is not lost in spite of the circumstances involving starting Hill over Davis...

In other words the back up plan supports the loss of, as some players called it, their General.

Again, those dudes on the field believed in Sam, the FO believed in Sam, so who the hell are we to doubt. :noidea:

Mark my words, Hill will do a fine job and maybe we make a switch to Austin due to unforeseen circumstances but he too will do well enough to the point, some here on the hoop will say, "Look at these guys at QB doing well enough, Sam couldn't do that! In turn I say, look at the back up plan that was in place to provide for guys like these to lead. Now imagine if Jeff Fisher and those other football guys who supported Sam Bradford, had a healthy Sam? :noidea:

Who knows where we would be.

Bottom line, we will be fine IMHO however we were set up well before the re-injury to the ACL.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with starting Hill, I just don't want to be that he is definitely starting all 16, his performance should dictate how long he starts.

Agree with everyone about Jeff knowing bettering and that the FO knows SB was at-risk

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hill should not start just because he has experience under center. The QB who plays the best and moves the ball down the field should be the one to start. Who knows how long Hill will start but if he keeps playing good football, he'll be the guy for 16 games and then some. I don't want injury to force Hill to sit and Davis to play. I want to it be a decision made by Coach Fisher to sit Hill and start Davis.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hill should not start just because he has experience under center. The QB who plays the best and moves the ball down the field should be the one to start. Who knows how long Hill will start but if he keeps playing good football, he'll be the guy for 16 games and then some. I don't want injury to force Hill to sit and Davis to play. I want to it be a decision made by Coach Fisher to sit Hill and start Davis.

hard to say that when neither of them really got to play with the team. If Sam got hurt earlier in the preseason then you could be right, but when the QB goes down right before the season starts you go with the guy who knows what being an NFL QB is.