• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tony Gonzalez

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably very unlikely...

But with the Falcons reeling (1-4, losing Julio Jones, possibly losing Roddy for multiple games), if this becomes an option...would you welcome a trade to acquire Tony Gonzalez? If it would cost us a 3rd or a 4th rounder...would you guys do it?

If it was up to me...there would be no hesitation I would pull this trade in a second.

Here's my reasoning

- Tony won't cost our cap moving forward since he will likely retire after this year
- Yes, it's a one year rental and our team is young...but Tony would push us that much closer to a Superbowl
- We are thin at tight end. McCoy out for the year, Zach Miller has been hampered with injuries, and Luke Wilson has been solid but he's not gonna give you what Tony gives you
- With our o-line banged up, Russell would benefit from having a safety valve, someone that consistently gets open on third downs

Look I understand that we are young and there is no reason to go "all in" for this year...but trading a 3rd round pick isn't going to throw away our future. Our talent is already there. As we've seen this year, most of our mid round picks have either gotten cut or not gotten any playing time at all.

And plus, this is the NFL. There are no guarantees we will always be this good and have this great shot at a title. I think especially if you are a franchise who has never tasted a championship before...when you have this shot you go for it. I think that's what Pete and crew did with Percy and if we have an opportunity to get Tony...I say go for it!

bravesfan

simpobissible=making the simple into impossible
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A third round pick from Seattle is as good as a 4th round pick from most teams....if you want Tony, you're going to have to "anty up". Because what you just mentioned, 10 different clubs are having the same discussion

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A third round pick from Seattle is as good as a 4th round pick from most teams....if you want Tony, you're going to have to "anty up". Because what you just mentioned, 10 different clubs are having the same discussion
Players in contract years aren't worth much, period. If the trade was gonna happen, I bet he could be had for a 5th rounder

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be great to have Gonzalez, but he would cost quite a bit to "rent" for the rest of the season. Then there is this: Atlanta Falcons say they will not trade Tony Gonzalez - ESPN

The Falcons aren't going to disrespect Gonzo and let the World know he's for sale, c'mon.

Being Gonzo's last season, it wouldn't surprise me if Gonzo would put together a short bucket list of teams
that he'd be willing to be dealt to. If my intuition is correct, the Hawks would be on that bucket list.

Why fans act like he's going to command a 3rd rd selection is quite
laughable. Al Davis passed away. Teams value draft selections and to
rent a TE for half a season for more than a 6th rd, the GM would be smokin ganja.

The Hawks dont have a 3rd rd, anyway, won't give a 4th, soooo.

Beast mode went for a 4th n conditional with a career ahead of him but
suddenly PC and JS are giving a 4th or 5th for a half a season
rent a player?

Really? Not !

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the point of renting Tony Gonzalez if we might have to keep him in pass protection more often than not? Miller and Willson are two perfectly good tight ends whose impacts on the passing game in terms of being pass catchers has been severely limited because they've had to be used as blockers way too often. Now Tony Gonzalez is a future Hall of Fame player and I'd love to have him, if only for half a season, but without a fully healthy and effective offensive line, I fear he'd be relegated to being just a future Hall of Fame blocker too often for it to be worth it.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a great player but it's such a temporary fix I just don't know... Giving up draft picks for aging players is a recipe for future disaster...You gotta keep the young guy's coming in... I'm ok with Miller who has proven to be a pretty good TE ...

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is for a 2nd round pick.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently KC and the Hawks are in talks.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually pretty impressed with the way Willson played on Sunday. As a blocker and receiver and showed the ability to break tackles. I think once Miller is healthy we will be ok there. You just cant underestimate the effect the line issues are having on the rest of the offense. Getting Unger back this week will help and I actually like what I am seeing from Bowie. The LT is an issue and probably will be until Okung is back.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree i just dont see the need for him and for a 2nd round pick? i would be shocked if the Hawks do it.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind Seattle doesn't have a third round pick this year (harvin trade)

I would love to have gonzo on this squad. But not worth more then maybe a 5th? Even then im hesitant cause of how freakishly good Schneiders been at finding Gold in the 5th! lol

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for having Gonzo on this team, as long it's for a 4th or 5th rounder and nothing more. Usually i'm against renting players but he's still a major weapon even at his age. He provides a red zone threat and could open other options inside the 20 for other players to get open.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how Gonzo feels about a trade. He was ready to retire, then the Falcons talked him out of it....now they trade him....mmmm...maybe he just retires.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the offensive line improves and we can use our tight ends for the reason we got them, then we don't need Tony Gonzalez, because both of our starting tight ends are capable of making plays on offense given the opportunity. At the same time, if it doesn't improve and our tight ends remain primarily blocking tight ends, then getting Gonzalez is a waste because he'd have to stay back and block too often for the trade to be much of a benefit to us. It isn't like our tight ends aren't making plays because they're incapable; they're just being forced to stay back and block too much. Getting Tony Gonzalez would only make sense if our tight ends were getting opportunity after opportunity to make plays and simply weren't making them.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how Gonzo feels about a trade. He was ready to retire, then the Falcons talked him out of it....now they trade him....mmmm...maybe he just retires.

Good point, although if his motivation for coming back was the opportunity to play for a serious championship contender, he might consider a trade to another serious championship contender if he feels like Atlanta no longer has that opportunity. Then again, if his only motivation for coming back was to help take Atlanta, specifically, to a championship, he would probably just refuse a trade anywhere and given the amount of respect he's likely accrued in Atlanta, they'd probably honor that and not trade him.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far everybody is trying to keep a lid on it here but word is that Tony doesn't want to be traded. He wants to finish his career in Atlanta.

Well, we love the guy. I am sure that if he wanted to go back to KC we would be happy to oblige him.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be fitting for him to end up back in KC. Fighting off the evil Broncos once again. Since Alex Smith apparently can only throw a 10 yard pass, this will be a perfect fit for TG.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know if i feel comfortable giving up a 1st day draft pick for a player thats going to retire at the end of the season....

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know if i feel comfortable giving up a 1st day draft pick for a player thats going to retire at the end of the season....

I doubt very seriously that Tony would want to go anywhere but KC but I guess we may never know anyway.