• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tom Brady: Defensive players get penalized for offensive mistakes

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Brady here. The article tries to paint it as a shared responsibility and I get why it says that but that isn't Brady's point. Brady's point is that bad QB play is rewarded if the defender plays by the new rules and that hurts the sport.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOAT NFL QB. Still a douche.

Listening to him talk about the frustrating defensive penalties we see in the NFL every week is like listening to Carleton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire explain why rap music is cool. He clearly understands what side of the argument he is supposed to be on and what side of the argument most fans are on……but you can tell he really doesn’t get it.

It is hilarious for him to talk about throwing over the middle. No QB has lead his receivers into more big hits than Brady. His longevity alone makes him near the top of that list. But when you combine the fact that his style of play has always been short area, over the middle passing, it’s not even close. ”When Ray Lewis played, I wouldn’t throw over the middle”. GTFO. He always threw over the middle and he was always, inevitably, was leading his receivers into harms way. Hell Gronk was probably a Rhodes scholar until Brady figured out you could throw the ball to him no matter how covered he was and what was in front of him.

If I was interviewing him, I would have asked if he considers being too slow footed and flexible to avoid the hit by Bernard Pollard was an offensive player mistake he is talking about. Because that play directly lead to one of the worst rules in player protection and what is often the most frustrating (although Brady isn’t at fault for the NFL crafting a poorly worded and poorly enforced rule).

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB's are the most protected in this league and he should know firsthand. I'm sure there are plenty of times he says to himself, I didn't even feel that hit but it's a penalty. Completely agree.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Listening to him talk about the frustrating defensive penalties we see in the NFL every week is like listening to Carleton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire explain why rap music is cool. He clearly understands what side of the argument he is supposed to be on and what side of the argument most fans are on……but you can tell he really doesn’t get it.

It is hilarious for him to talk about throwing over the middle. No QB has lead his receivers into more big hits than Brady. His longevity alone makes him near the top of that list. But when you combine the fact that his style of play has always been short area, over the middle passing, it’s not even close. ”When Ray Lewis played, I wouldn’t throw over the middle”. GTFO. He always threw over the middle and he was always, inevitably, was leading his receivers into harms way. Hell Gronk was probably a Rhodes scholar until Brady figured out you could throw the ball to him no matter how covered he was and what was in front of him.

If I was interviewing him, I would have asked if he considers being too slow footed and flexible to avoid the hit by Bernard Pollard was an offensive player mistake he is talking about. Because that play directly lead to one of the worst rules in player protection and what is often the most frustrating (although Brady isn’t at fault for the NFL crafting a poorly worded and poorly enforced rule).
Brady does make his living throwing the ball in the middle of the field. The old Brady flowchart was basically 'if Zone, throw to the open spot and have agile slot receiver catch it and dive to the ground', 'if Man, have Gronk give his shove and then lob it up to him or throw it to RB in the flat', 'if soft coverage then audible into run', 'two or three times take a shot downfield with the guy who is specifically good at downfield catching' and it works.

As an aside, one of my negatives on Mac Jones is that he would throw it in ways that would get his guys lit up because Devonta Smith would just literally catch anything. In the preseason, though, Jones was really good at moving defenders before throwing. They definitely teach this stuff in New England. I think Brady has just had a ton of success working within his system that he can probably justify it by saying his understanding of the game in theory keeps his guys out of harms way.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bless your heart. It's well known (among people who actually watch Brady play) that he's great at ball placement and trying to NOT get his guys drilled, and also putting the ball where only his guy can get it.

And that rule was the Carlson Palmer rule, put in place after a Steeler defensive tackle shredded his ACL and MCL, ending the Bengals playoff run.

Know you know.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found it surprising Tom would take this stance, but I guess he is near end of his career & can be as honest as he wants now.
Since him & Aaron Rodgers are the most protected players in football when it comes to officiating.
I was laughing when I was reading the article, but I have to agree with Tom it is a huge disservice to football.
If it is a legal hit let it be. If a tackler is already going low to make a tackle on a Qb & the QB slides at last second lowering himself to the level of the tackler & gets the flag has always been bullshit to me. Slide earlier bitch. A tackler cant stop when he is already going down to make a legal tackle & you lower your head to his level. That flag always pisses me off.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bless your heart. It's well known (among people who actually watch Brady play) that he's great at ball placement and trying to NOT get his guys drilled, and also putting the ball where only his guy can get it.

And that rule was the Carlson Palmer rule, put in place after a Steeler defensive tackle shredded his ACL and MCL, ending the Bengals playoff run.

Know you know.

Carson Palmer was hurt in playoff game in 2005. Brady was hurt season opener of 2008. The rule took effect opening day of 2009.

Brady rule: Steps taken to protect QBs' knees - The Boston Globe

Even the Boston Globe was calling it the Brady rule.

All QB's get their WR's killed on occasion. It is just going to happen. But between scheme and style, NO ONE has done it more than Brady. Hell his ball placement being so good is part of the reason he did do it a lot. He would thread needles into the middle of the field to get to his WR that a lot of QB's wouldn't have thrown.

For him to act like “it was better in my day” and that he hasn’t benefitted from these rules is disingenuous to say the least. He just knows this is the popular opinion to take.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, though…

As a 49er fan, there isn’t any competition. Brady is the hands down GOAT. There really isn’t any argument in favor of any other player. Quite possibly the most dominant single player ever in any team sport.

More than Jordan.
Baseball has about 4 or 5 different players who legit can be considered the GOAT.
Maybe Gretzky is comparable?

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, though…

As a 49er fan, there isn’t any competition. Brady is the hands down GOAT. There really isn’t any argument in favor of any other player. Quite possibly the most dominant single player ever in any team sport.

More than Jordan.
Baseball has about 4 or 5 different players who legit can be considered the GOAT.
Maybe Gretzky is comparable?

Gretzky, Flair, Jordan....

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I’m glad Tom said it! We’ve all known this for years… The NFL has hurt its own product and they can care less, as long as people tune in, it’s all about money …

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's boinking Giselle and you're not.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's nice but not my type of girl
There simply isn’t enough food in the world for every chick to be your type…

tenor.gif