• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tolzein or Johnson as 3rd QB?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is my line of thinking. tolzien and kap should be able to develop over the next couple years. i thought johnson would challenge kap for the back up spot, but that didn't materialize.

Next couple of years? You want Kap on the bench ANOTHER year after this one?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next couple of years? You want Kap on the bench ANOTHER year after this one?

i don't want to rush him. he's not ready to start this year, will he be next year? also, will he beat out smith, who i'm expecting to have a breakout year. first time in the same offense, we'll just have to see what smith can do.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't want to rush him. he's not ready to start this year, will he be next year? also, will he beat out smith, who i'm expecting to have a breakout year. first time in the same offense, we'll just have to see what smith can do.

If Alex has a breakout year then we shouldn't expect Kap to start for another 7 years.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd go with Tolzein, since Johnson and Kaepernick bring pretty much the same skill set it'd be nice to have that different style of play in the mix. Johnson was good but he wasn't so darn good that the 49ers would be stupid to cut him, he missed a bunch of throws too.

I view it the exact opposite. If we really see Smith as just a place-holder for Kaepernick, I want a QB on the team who is very similar to Kaep. We aren't going to be platooning QBs, so different skill sets are a negative. If Kaep starts in 2013 and gets hurt, I want to be able to hand the reins to someone that has the same skill set as our starter, rather than having to adapt the offense to a new style.

That said, if the team is unsure about Kaep, and sees Smith starting for a few years, then I would be Tolzien for the same reasons outlined above.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I view it the exact opposite. If we really see Smith as just a place-holder for Kaepernick, I want a QB on the team who is very similar to Kaep. We aren't going to be platooning QBs, so different skill sets are a negative. If Kaep starts in 2013 and gets hurt, I want to be able to hand the reins to someone that has the same skill set as our starter, rather than having to adapt the offense to a new style.

That said, if the team is unsure about Kaep, and sees Smith starting for a few years, then I would be Tolzien for the same reasons outlined above.

I actually didn't think about it like that. I think maybe we've been approaching QB depth the same way we might for RB or WR, but now that you mention it it does make sense to have a back up come in and take over the same style offense.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tolzien made the 53 man roster.

49ers transaction tracker

UPDATED 5:37 P.M.

--The 49ers have informed quarterback Scott Tolzien that he will be on the initial 53-man roster, a source said. It is not known at this point whether the 49ers plan to keep four quarterbacks. There's no word, yet, on Josh Johnson. Tolzien was the 49ers' third QB last season.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now did Johnson make the team?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he did, that would be a galactic waste of depth

i'm not for four QB's either, but guess i'll stop and try to see the positive(s) IF we do it?

1. QB's are always in demand, maybe we could trade one later? not thinking a high pick, but say 5th rounder? another team could have an injury week 1, or week 2?

2. guess its possible Alex and Colin suffer major injuries? if this should happen early in the season, we have somewhat of a chance?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not for four QB's either, but guess i'll stop and try to see the positive(s) IF we do it?

1. QB's are always in demand, maybe we could trade one later? not thinking a high pick, but say 5th rounder? another team could have an injury week 1, or week 2?

2. guess its possible Alex and Colin suffer major injuries? if this should happen early in the season, we have somewhat of a chance?

I understand what you are saying and though it is possible we may keep four, conventional wisdom would completely rule it out - even for hedging against an injury. There is just too big a need for depth in other more shallow and vulnerable positions.

Now, a 4th QB for the practice sq is fine but JJ is not eligible for the PS

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I understand what you are saying and though it is possible we may keep four, conventional wisdom would completely rule it out - even for hedging against an injury. There is just too big a need for depth in other more shallow and vulnerable positions.

Now, a 4th QB for the practice sq is fine but JJ is not eligible for the PS

agreed, no matter how i try to look at from the other side, three makes too much sense.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Alex has a breakout year then we shouldn't expect Kap to start for another 7 years.

I'd expect just up until Smith's contract is up. If Kaep keeps on improving (a'la Aaron Rodgers) he'll be a top 5 qb in this league.

:amen: