• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Night Shift Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watched a couple of this girl's videos........lol at not knowing how to pronounce Poisson, homogeneous, and de Moivre :L

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello night shifters!

I'm doing quantum mechanics homework, specifically perturbation theory, and I have three classes' worth of notes scattered around on my "dining room table" (it's a card table), as well as a textbook, and I still can't find any clues as to how to construct my perturbing Hamiltonian matrix. If I could just use the differential Hamiltonian, I would be alright, because the math isn't all that difficult, but he asked specifically for the matrix.

I should have brought the other textbook home...

EDIT: And to clarify, when I say three classes' worth of notes, I mean three full courses.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello night shifters!

I'm doing quantum mechanics homework, specifically perturbation theory, and I have three classes' worth of notes scattered around on my "dining room table" (it's a card table), as well as a textbook, and I still can't find any clues as to how to construct my perturbing Hamiltonian matrix. If I could just use the differential Hamiltonian, I would be alright, because the math isn't all that difficult, but he asked specifically for the matrix.

I should have brought the other textbook home...

yo math bro........watch that video above :D

*nm, you're physics :L

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yo math bro........watch that video above :D

*nm, you're physics :L

I watched about half of it, then realized it wasn't time-independent perturbation theory, and stopped. :thumb:

And that's how I pronounce homogeneous sometimes, depending on my company. But just like cumulative and simultaneous, I have two pronunciations I'm equally likely to use.

And paprika, too.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched about half of it, then realized it wasn't time-independent perturbation theory, and stopped. :thumb:

And that's how I pronounce homogeneous sometimes, depending on my company. But just like cumulative and simultaneous, I have two pronunciations I'm equally likely to use.

And paprika, too.

guess it doesn't matter to us, lol My best friend is about to get a PHD in physics at WVU (probably told you that already), but he tries to talk that crazy stuff and I'm like 'no man, just normal real world insurance math' :D

SoonerDO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im going out for a smoke anybody need anything

saul.gif

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the diagonal matrix elements?

I think I know what I'm supposed to do, which is sum the diagonalized unperturbed Hamiltonian, which has the energy eigenvalues as its diagonal elements, with the perturbing Hamiltonian matrix, which has the perturbing potential as its off-diagonal elements and zeros on the diagonal.

I'm looking for the second-order perturbation, so I need to operate the perturbing Hamiltonian on the first-order perturbed wave function, then multiply that by the unperturbed wave function with a different quantum state, then integrate all of that over the space in which the particle exists.

Wait. I just had an epiphany. One of my hangups was that I didn't know the first order perturbed wave function, but since I calculated in the previous problem that the first order energy perturbation was zero, the first order perturbed wave function is just the unperturbed wave function. I just have to operate the perturbing Hamiltonian on the original wave function (which I do know), then multiply by the wave function of a different state and integrate over all space.

Thanks guys! :yo:

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I know what I'm supposed to do, which is sum the diagonalized unperturbed Hamiltonian, which has the energy eigenvalues as its diagonal elements, with the perturbing Hamiltonian matrix, which has the perturbing potential as its off-diagonal elements and zeros on the diagonal.

I'm looking for the second-order perturbation, so I need to operate the perturbing Hamiltonian on the first-order perturbed wave function, then multiply that by the unperturbed wave function with a different quantum state, then integrate all of that over the space in which the particle exists.

Wait. I just had an epiphany. One of my hangups was that I didn't know the first order perturbed wave function, but since I calculated in the previous problem that the first order energy perturbation was zero, the first order perturbed wave function is just the unperturbed wave function. I just have to operate the perturbing Hamiltonian on the original wave function (which I do know), then multiply by the wave function of a different state and integrate over all space.

^LOL

Sorry, I was talking out of my ass. Algebra was tough enough for me.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

do you know how to solve the two person duel problem?

Markov chains FTW :nerd:

Status
Not open for further replies.