• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial "College Basketball" Ongoing Thread

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eight NCAA Tournament teams fall below graduation standards

ORLANDO, Fla. -- An annual study of the schools in the men's NCAA tournament shows a slight increase in teams that fall below graduation rate standards.

The University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport said in its report Monday that eight teams that made the 2014 men's bracket fall below the NCAA-mandated Academic Progress Rate score of 930, equivalent to a 50 percent graduation rate. Last year six teams didn't reach that benchmark.

Study author Richard Lapchick said while academic reforms overall have led to positive change, he urged tougher measures. He would like to see the NCAA's four-year standard raised to a graduation rate equivalent to 60 percent.

This year 88 percent of the teams in the men's tournament currently graduate at least 60 percent of their players.

Currently, teams scoring below a 925 APR can lose up to 10 percent of their scholarships. Teams can also be subject to penalties for poor academic performance over time.

Teams in this year's field that would be subject to NCAA-imposed sanctions that could keep them from postseason play are: Cal Poly (925), Coastal Carolina (921), North Carolina Central (903), Oklahoma State (928), Providence (915), Texas Southern (900), Connecticut (897) and Oregon (918).

Beginning with 2012-13 championships, teams must earn a minimum 900 four-year APR or a 930 average over the most recent two years to be eligible for NCAA championships.

In 2014, seven teams fell below 925, compared with three teams in 2013. The APR was developed by the NCAA in 2004 as a way to improve graduation rates. It is a four-year rolling average of academic performance that takes into account academic eligibility and retention.

Eight NCAA tournament teams fall below graduation standard, study shows - ESPN

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn, get your shit together! This is your final warning! :laugh3:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say......I wish people would stop picking Nebraska over Baylor.

It's going to give Baylor something extra to play for.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Delaware Coach Monte Ross...funny guy.

Asked for his biggest concern with the Spartans, Ross said: “That they’ll show up.”

When I saw the matchup last night, I’ll be honest with you, last night I slept like a baby,” Ross said. “I was up every two hours crying.”

:laugh3:

good stuff Monte. and,
good luck to the Delaware Fighting Blue Hens.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asked for his biggest concern with the Spartans, Ross said: “That they’ll show up.”

When I saw the matchup last night, I’ll be honest with you, last night I slept like a baby,” Ross said. “I was up every two hours crying.”

:laugh3:

good stuff Monte. and,
good luck to the Delaware Fighting Blue Hens.

dude is HILARIOUS

didn't he say something about the reason his team has a chance is Izzo's lack of big-game coaching experience? haha that's amazing

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude is HILARIOUS

didn't he say something about the reason his team has a chance is Izzo's lack of big-game coaching experience? haha that's amazing

bwahaha! so refreshing to see a coach taking this serious dancing shit with a sense of humor. believe it, though, Izzo knows that Ross runs a tight ship and is dangerous as hell...take them Hens lightly and get your eggs cracked.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Albany 13 Mount Saint Mary's 0.

He said Mount Saint Mary's. *insert Beavis and Butthead laugh*

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude, they play at the Verizon Center. Home of the Caps and Wizards. I went to two games there this year.

yes, but they played their opening game of NIT in their campus gym. It was really small.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, but they played their opening game of NIT in their campus gym. It was really small.

ahhhh, didn't realize that. I guess we know now why they play all of their regularly scheduled games at the Verizon. Must have been a Caps or Wizards game that forced them into the women's gym

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ahhhh, didn't realize that. I guess we know now why they play all of their regularly scheduled games at the Verizon. Must have been a Caps or Wizards game that forced them into the women's gym

Circus is at the Verizon Center. This happens every year where the Caps and Wiz have to go on a decent road trip late in the season because Barnum & Bailey is in town.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Circus is at the Verizon Center. This happens every year where the Caps and Wiz have to go on a decent road trip late in the season because Barnum & Bailey is in town.

haha oh yea i forgot about that