• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Titans @ Arrowhead

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super busy right now transcribing interviews (you wouldn't believe how long it takes to transcribe even 10 minutes of an interview correctly) but I'll post this thread anyway. Win this game and the playoffs are a lock. I think Denver loses making the playoff question irrelevant as far as making them is concerned, but it's worth a note. This may actually be the toughest game left just from a matchup perspective. My guess is there is one loss each for both the Raiders and Chiefs, but I suspect this can't be one of them, so as far as the SB is concerned, this is actually a must win, imo. Is this the week Maclin shakes off the rust?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7f1be01f-d0ea-498c-a224-8ecc67077d0b.jpg

Neat photo on the Tyreek boom.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tickets are 5$ right now, and I just might be a crazy enough fucking bastard to go to the game.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, what did today teach us, boys and girls...?

don't go away from what's working...:tsk:
That be true- but it also be true we're a one dimensional team: A passing team- with Alex Smith as the QB. Really discouraging after so much effort has gone into improving the passing game, the running game deteriorates right when it is needed most. Running game hasn't had a good game in months. They had a nice look with Hill today but that's kind of like the flea flicker, it only works so many times.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the positive side of things, Maclin finally looks like he's all there. Creates some exciting opportunities at the skill positions provided there is pass protection. Now, will Smith connect? Will the playcalling allow for it? Who knows.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That be true- but it also be true we're a one dimensional team: A passing team- with Alex Smith as the QB. Really discouraging after so much effort has gone into improving the passing game, the running game deteriorates right when it is needed most. Running game hasn't had a good game in months. They had a nice look with Hill today but that's kind of like the flea flicker, it only works so many times.
I don't think they are a one-dimensional team at all. The issue with running the ball is that you pass the ball to score points and you run the ball to win the game. They couldn't run the ball to win the game against the Titans. They did run the ball to win the game against the Jaguars when the entire team was pretty much backups so maybe the Titans are just built for that kind of thing. The one area where the Chiefs were really better than the Titans was playmakers and to be honest the passing game didnt bring enough to make that advantage matter.

The Chiefs also had a couple of opportunities to seal the game with their defense and didn't get it done. Basically the reverse of the Broncos game earlier in the season where the Chiefs made enough plays down the stretch. Can't win all of those games.

I have to go with ChiefsLakers on this: great teams put up 30+ points when given the ball the way the Chiefs were given the ball. Chiefs have been a slightly above average team that plays smart but the reality with playing smart is that you're playing the odds and odds aren't perfect. Chiefs probably had a 70% chance of winning that game down the stretch but the Titans just made more plays.

It goes back to Alex Smith again. 44 yards on one play and 119 yards for the rest of the game on 27 attempts. Thats backup QB level play. 13 incomplete passes stopping the clock in a game that was basically about running the clock down. Take away the big play away from the run game and you have 27 attempts for 90 yards which is about average in a game like this.

The Chiefs need better QB play. Thats all there is to it. The D plays a bend but dont break style and the offense needs to control the ball more. Like the Tampa Bay game, Alex Smith lost it. Also maybe there is an argument about never icing a kicker in a tough kicking situation but if a game comes down to a kick then both teams made mistakes.

Last edited:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Que the SSS comments, but this is an intriguing trend

Chiefs CB Terrance Mitchell's stats through 3 games:

7-19 targets
47 yards
3 pass breakups
45.3 QB rating

Have we found our outside CB2 to Peters?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Que the SSS comments, but this is an intriguing trend

Chiefs CB Terrance Mitchell's stats through 3 games:

7-19 targets
47 yards
3 pass breakups
45.3 QB rating

Have we found our outside CB2 to Peters?
He is doing well enough but its been in the cold cold cold the past could of games. I think he had a Pass Interference called against him but I could be wrong.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Footballoutsiders ranked Alex Smith's performance last week 30th out of QBs playing last week. Right behind Blake Bortles who got his coach fired and Jared Goff who was playing without a coach.

Ahead of only Carson Wentz, Sam Bradford, Brock Benchweiler, Bryce Petty and Trevor Locker room implosion.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is doing well enough but its been in the cold cold cold the past could of games. I think he had a Pass Interference called against him but I could be wrong.

Yeah he did I believe on Sunday, it's a trend worth monitoring going forward but there's nothing here to go crazy about even if it's really flashy right now on the statsheet. If all of the sudden the Pass D is thrashing teams that don't have elite O-lines like the Titans, then I guess we'll see; it makes for interesting discussion if nothing else. Should be interesting to see how the DB's do against Denver with Mitchell and Nelson in there instead of Acker and Gaines. Mariota got so much time on Sunday it kind of makes it hard to gauge the DB's, doubly so in that damned broadcast view.

Footballoutsiders ranked Alex Smith's performance last week 30th out of QBs playing last week. Right behind Blake Bortles who got his coach fired and Jared Goff who was playing without a coach.

Ahead of only Carson Wentz, Sam Bradford, Brock Benchweiler, Bryce Petty and Trevor Locker room implosion.

Really can't figure out why Alex would have struggled in this game exactly. Whatever the reason it was pretty pitiful given the Titans' pass defense is anything but good. This has been discussed on here before but if there's any reason to believe a QB like Watson is available and comparable to Alex's production now, this team has to pull the trigger and maybe grease the wheels to get it done if need be.

Last edited:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top offensive grades:

HB Spencer Ware, 83

G Zach Fulton, 80.7

WR Jeremy Maclin, 77.6

T Mitchell Schwartz, 76.9

T Eric Fisher, 75.7

Chiefs’ offense starts hot, then cools down

The Chiefs roared to a 14-0 lead and seemed largely in control most of the game, thanks in large part to solid offensive-line play. Spencer Ware and the Chiefs’ O-line worked well in tandem, executing the stretch-zone running scheme. Guard Zach Fulton and tackles Mitchell Schwartz and Eric Fisher worked to create space for the Chiefs’ ball carriers. WR Jeremy Maclin hauled in six receptions on six targets for 82 yards. In the end, however, the Kansas City offense could not put the game away in the fourth quarter.

Top defensive grades:

CB Terrance Mitchell, 91.0

S Eric Berry, 85.1

S Ron Parker, 81.7

CB Steven Nelson, 80.2

DI Chris Jones, 80.2

Chiefs’ defense plays well most the game

The Chiefs defense had moments of excellence in the game, and their secondary made some big plays early. Safety Ron Parker hauled in an interception and Eric Berry made a touchdown-saving strip-fumble-tackle in the first half. Terrance Mitchell yielded only one reception on seven targets for 4 yards as he provided superb play in pass coverage. The Chiefs’ defense, however, failed to get the Titans’ offense off the field late in the fourth quarter, and the Tennessee offense was able to score points when needed to win.

Forgot to post this being as irritated as I was after the game. Nothing too shocking outside of the love affair PFF suddenly has for Mitchell. Fulton seems highly overgraded by PFF at LG on a consistent basis for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to post this being as irritated as I was after the game. Nothing too shocking outside of the love affair PFF suddenly has for Mitchell. Fulton seems highly overgraded by PFF at LG on a consistent basis for whatever reason.
Mitchell has been playing exceptionally well. Its a small sample size but I think he has earned the right to be the #2 CB as of now.