• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Timmy's Showcase - scenarios

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so Timmy will have his showcase soon. I have absolutely no idea what it will look like and even less how he will perform. So with those minor caveats out of the way, let's do what we do best this time of year. Pull shit out our ass and speculate.

Presumably he will throw X number of pitches, and there will be radar guns galore. It will have to be enough pitches to give interested parties a good idea, but it can't be too many because he won't be in shape for it. Let's say it's in the 40 to 50 pitch range, off a mound, simulated game. Let's stipulate that all his off-speed stuff is intact.

But the number of pitches won't be as important as the speed of his fastball. Depending on what number that is, what is the Giants level of interest? Suppose the last 10 fastballs average:

Worst case, 87-88 mph - easy call. No interest. We all love Timmy, but at 87 mph, there's just not much we can do for each other.

Middle case, 89-90 mph: Is that enough for him to contend for the #4 or #5?

Best case, 91-92 mph: That would obviously be very intriguing. We would almost HAVE to make an offer. Of course, he is a free agent, and we have no guarantees he would sign here.

I certainly wish him the best, and that he succeeds no matter where he signs (except the Dodgers).

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he signs with either the Giants or Dodgers, it will be for long relief. Unless he's throwing 100 mph fastballs, I highly doubt that the Giants re-sign him. Cueto and Samardzija made the chances of that happen slim, IMHO.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another blogster speculated that the Giants may be holding off committing to another OF pending the outcome of Timmy's showcase.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another blogster speculated that the Giants may be holding off committing to another OF pending the outcome of Timmy's showcase.

I have to think that said bolster was talking out of his ass with the amount of arms we have ripe in upper minors, not to mention Heston.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not see any situation in which he gets a major league contract from the Giants. There simply is not any room.