• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to give Perrish an extension?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Avoided land mine #1. :)

This may have gotten lost in the GDT:

By the way, I was seriously thinking about this BEFORE the preseason game. One preseason game means nothing. Is it time to give Perrish Cox a contract extension? Nnamdi & Brown are in contract years. Rogers is as good as gone with his salary next season. Culliver only has 2014 left, and he'll be coming off an ACL tear. The FA class for CBs is rough to say the least. The only CB the Niners drafted the last 2 years (because they stupidly took AJ Jenkins over Janoris) is Marcus Cooper, and he was 2 picks away from being Mr. Irrelevant.

One thing Cox has never lacked is talent. If he's grown up, he could be an above-average starting CB in this league. I want to see Perrish when I watch Niner games for at least a few more years. (Avoided land mine #2).

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would while we could do it on the cheap (if he's willing).

Right now Baalke is looking smart by locking up Ian Williams to an extension for a little longer so I think extending Cox could be another smart move like that.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
are Coaches pretty sure about Cox yet? and Brock too while we're at it? shouldn't they play some more before committing to extensions, at least more Pre-season? Cox is a restricted FA, so he won't go 'freely'.

not to mention we still have those big looming, 'other' contracts for Kaep, Iupati, and Aldon. every bit counts when you have these guys to fit.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did Darryl Morris ever get any snaps last game because I was looking for him in the 4th but saw some Browner-esque body type looking CBs?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
good start for Cox and Brock.

--The play of the secondary was very strong. The 49ers allowed just 103 yards of net passing. Third cornerback Tramaine Brock had good coverage throughout. The Broncos caught a couple passes for short gains on him, and he had solid coverage against Demaryius Thomas on a deep route.

Perrish Cox played very well. He broke up a pass and sniffed another pass for a 3-yard loss. He also showed something in the return game with a 33-yard kickoff return and a 15-yard punt return.

Nnamdi Asomugha demonstrated good change of direction to come up and stick Gerell Robinson for a 5-yard gain on a third-and-12 play.

--All the safeties were solid, especially Eric Reid and C.J. Spillman.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, when I posted that I didn't know he would be a RFA after this season. I thought he'd be an URFA. Gives the Niners more leverage. :)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did Darryl Morris ever get any snaps last game because I was looking for him in the 4th but saw some Browner-esque body type looking CBs?

Cooper looked really big out there. I had to check the roster when I saw him. I didn't spot Morris, but I was trying to pull dinner together late in the game and wasn't watching as closely.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good start for Cox and Brock.

--The play of the secondary was very strong. The 49ers allowed just 103 yards of net passing. Third cornerback Tramaine Brock had good coverage throughout. The Broncos caught a couple passes for short gains on him, and he had solid coverage against Demaryius Thomas on a deep route.

Perrish Cox played very well. He broke up a pass and sniffed another pass for a 3-yard loss. He also showed something in the return game with a 33-yard kickoff return and a 15-yard punt return.

Nnamdi Asomugha demonstrated good change of direction to come up and stick Gerell Robinson for a 5-yard gain on a third-and-12 play.

--All the safeties were solid, especially Eric Reid and C.J. Spillman.

I disagree with that assessment of Brock. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those completions against him picked up 1st downs and that "good-coverage on a long pass" was a ball that the WR couldn't even make a play on because Manning overthrew it.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper looked really big out there. I had to check the roster when I saw him. I didn't spot Morris, but I was trying to pull dinner together late in the game and wasn't watching as closely.

Bandwagon fan, IMO. :whistle:

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for giving Cox an extension. Seems like his legal troubles are behind him now. They finally gave him a chance to return kicks last preseason game and he produced. Even without that he's a solid nickel guy and I feel he could hold his own if a starter got injured. I hope they keep having him return kicks, because he's a natural there. His college tape as a returner speaks for itself.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for giving Cox an extension. Seems like his legal troubles are behind him now. They finally gave him a chance to return kicks last preseason game and he produced. Even without that he's a solid nickel guy and I feel he could hold his own if a starter got injured. I hope they keep having him return kicks, because he's a natural there. His college tape as a returner speaks for itself.

I would prefer LMJ to do kickoffs but I would be fine if Cox was the punt returner. And most guys would want their Cox to get an extension so that's not a big shock you support that move. :laugh3:

Last edited by a moderator:

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer LMJ to do kickoffs but I would be fine if Cox was the punt returner. And most guys would want their Cox to get an extension so that's not a big shock you support that move. :laugh3:

Haha- well done. I'm down with Cox as the KR and LMJ as the primary KR (meaning if the kick is up for grabs, LMJ gets it) and Cox, AJ (returned KO's in college) possibly Hall on the other side. Hall isn't super fast- but he's shifty and good in space.

I'd prefer to have KW focused on WR, because we need him healthy (particularly early in the year with Crabs and Mario out).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, when and if they do....

bob_art_160_20080827152934.jpg

images

Cox-Logo-1024x462.jpg