• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tickets scandal at Texas

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks to me all this is outside the coaching staff and the members of the team and is limited to employees who were stealing from the University. Impossible to have any organization without some corrupt people taking advantage.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks to me all this is outside the coaching staff and the members of the team and is limited to employees who were stealing from the University. Impossible to have any organization without some corrupt people taking advantage.

Having said that, there was an absurd lack of checks and balances here...the best way to avoid employees taking advantage of you is to eliminate the loopholes and make it obvious that improper behavior will be easily detected (and handled).

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The names involved haven't been disclosed but the Austin American-Statesman is still digging. I'm not going to throw rocks and say who all had to be involved in this mess. At OU there was some involvement with coaches too when the investigation was completed. The big story here is the amount of money involved. It had to have been huge.

SomeGuy

Christian Conservative
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember years ago when the Bucs were building their new stadium. New seating was based on many things with how many years you have had tickets being the biggest priority. Heard some people were able to change how long they were season ticket holders by paying an employee. That really bothered me.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is old news.
It was all completed around 2012.

That is a big reason why PATTERSON was hired and also fired as well.
A bunch of entitled whiny teachers not even part of the program were angry that he limited their perks.

There was a leftover loophole that allowed teachers to get free premium tickets.
And then those assholes would scalp the free tickets for big money on the side illegally.

Patterson simply found a way to close the loophole....and the entire staff got their pitchforks and mobbed him.

I actually agreed with him for stopping the abuse.
And he got fired for doing it. Nobody liked his Drill Seargant tough love way of doing it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is old news.

A bunch of entitled whiny teachers not even part of the program were angry that he limited their perks.

There was a leftover loophole that allowed teachers to get free premium tickets.
And then those assholes would scalp the free tickets for big money on the side illegally.

Patterson simply found a way to close the loophole....and the entire staff got their pitchforks and mobbed him.

And he got fired for doing it. Nobody liked his Drill Seargant tough love way of doing it.

All true, but the take away is that the issues at TExas are beyond coaching. The AD is a mess and has been for a long time.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is old news.

But it still made the front page of the Statesman this week.

Don't think anyone in Austin was surprised it was happening.

But many were surprised at the magnitude at which it was happening.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is old news.

no he got fired for nickle and diming the actual paying customers and the coaching staff.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the seeds of his firing came from the general teachers and staff starting the discontent.
Insane Perks were slashed everywhere and our entitlement empire acted like children.

The nickel and diming of everything was a scapegoat.
It was a bunch of the Old Country Club era of DeLoss Dodds and Mack Brown throwing a hissy fit.

He wasnt a perfect AD.
But, his downfall began when he stopped all the amateur Scalping of Tickets and premium parking spots.
It really pissed off entitled teachers and professors. He enforced it without much tact or salesmanship.

Luckily for Texas, none of the old stuff has been brought back. Patterson rules are the rules now.
Most of the reforms under Patterson are still in effect but they are implemented with more tact and diplomacy.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be willing to bet that most P5 schools have some degree of this going on.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be willing to bet that most P5 schools have some degree of this going on.

All schools probably had an issue with it to a certain degree.

It was an old well intentioned program designed to make the University of Texas a family and community.
Give free premium valuable tickets to admin, teachers, and their families to help promote a happy wholesome gameday crowd.

It would prevent the super rich or corporations from buying up the premium seats.
It would encourage normal family attendance and build a strong diversified fan base at games.

Human Greed eventually took over....... Asswipe Teachers or their families would sell them for big time profits.

It is like taking a Christmas Gift from the Salvation Army and putting it on Ebay the next day.
Patterson just made it public, so the masses turned on him for embarassing them.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just shocked that something like this can happen in college athletics.

I bet EVERY school has this problem.

Ticket Broker calls up and offers you money for some side business. You are only making $35,000 and the coach and AD are making millions. Yet, you do all the work and they sit in their ivory tower drinking martinis with the cheerleaders.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just shocked that something likew this can happen in college athletics.

I bet EVERY school has this problem.

Maybe not every school. I bet A&M didn't have this issue with basketball when I was there :pound:

You would walk up right before tip, swipe your athletic card, and go sit courtside at midcourt. :L

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the seeds of his firing came from the general teachers and staff starting the discontent.
Insane Perks were slashed everywhere and our entitlement empire acted like children.

The nickel and diming of everything was a scapegoat.
It was a bunch of the Old Country Club era of DeLoss Dodds and Mack Brown throwing a hissy fit.

He wasnt a perfect AD.
But, his downfall began when he stopped all the amateur Scalping of Tickets and premium parking spots.
It really pissed off entitled teachers and professors. He enforced it without much tact or salesmanship.

Luckily for Texas, none of the old stuff has been brought back. Patterson rules are the rules now.
Most of the reforms under Patterson are still in effect but they are implemented with more tact and diplomacy.

I'm not sure if you're actually steve patterson, or just trolling. But the issue was nickel and diming the coaches and fans. Nobody cares if teachers are mad. What got him fired was making the baseball team take the bus to far away games, not wanting to buy the football team a shirt and tie for game days, and telling charlie strong not only can he not hire the OC he wanted, but he has to pay if he wants to eat lunch with his own team.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if you're actually steve patterson, or just trolling. But the issue was nickel and diming the coaches and fans. Nobody cares if teachers are mad. What got him fired was making the baseball team take the bus to far away games, not wanting to buy the football team a shirt and tie for game days, and telling charlie strong not only can he not hire the OC he wanted, but he has to pay if he wants to eat lunch with his own team.

From what I have heard from people who worked with Patterson when he was at the Blazers and from my UT alumni friends/donors, there isn't anyone who can stomach the a-hole. He alienates everyone. You guys should be thankful he's gone. Now you need to clean up the rest of the AD and you're back on course.