• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thursday OU News

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Striker’s first football memory involves running the Oklahoma drill when he was 6, playing for the Winston Park Warriors in Tampa.

Neither he nor his teammate knew how to hit.

“We were just going helmet to helmet,” Striker told the magazine. “Like straight up. Damn near about to break our necks.”

2. In middle school, Striker would mow his family’s front and back yard before games to try to settle his nerves.

3. Striker’s mother, Lia Skelton, decided to go to law school after seeing boys in her neighborhood who she thought were good people being sent to jail.

“I would see the revolving door,” Skelton told SI. “And I would think, it’s not fair. It’s not right. People aren’t given a chance.”

4. Embattled Florida coach Will Muschamp didn’t want Striker.

Striker visited Gainesville for a junior day in 2011 and watched as two of his teammates went into Muschamp’s office and received an offer from the Gators.

“So I go in there and he’s like, ‘Hey Striker, I like what you do out there. You do a lot of good things and you play well. But I don’t know where you fit,’” Striker said.

5. Striker nearly transferred after his freshman season.

After he had six tackles in his freshman season — all in the Kansas game — Striker asked his high school coach, Sean Callahan, to explore transfer options.

“I was like, ‘Man, (this is) not for me,” Striker told SI. “I was education, but I want to play football as well.”

When Mike Stoops put the 3-4 back in during the spring of 2013, Striker decided to stay and eventually won the starting spot in the fall.