• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on the MNF game

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't posted in a while but it's nice to see that we're still the most hated team on the hoop besides the Patriots

Here are some of my thoughts on the game

1) Passing game looks great
- Russell was confident and decisive tonight. A lot of credit goes to Bevell for his play calling in the game. A lot of the scheme and movement prior to the snap messed up the Buffalo defense and left our guys streaking open. The timely play action calls and the emphasis to move the pocket for Russell to buy him more time worked out great. The vertical game was a real threat tonight and if Kearse had held on to that diving td, Russ would have had an even bigger game.

2) THIS is why we traded for Jimmy Graham
- This was a move we needed to make in order for Russell to evolve into the quarterback Pete envisioned him being. Marshawn was the heart beat of this offense, but Pete and John knew this would eventually become Russell's team. Jimmy Graham has been an absolute weapon for us this year. Those two one handed touchdowns grabs won us the game tonight.

And you gotta love the fire this guy plays with. You know he LOVES the 12th man now that we're on his side. And honestly, all the talk about him being soft, this guy has been anything but that since joining here. He takes some of the HARDEST hits running seam routes in the middle of the field and he almost always hangs on to the ball. No matter the coverage, if the ball is in the air, he has a chance to get it.

3) Run game is concerning
- We've struggled to get the run game going every game this season besides the 49er game. I think it's a combination of this line just not being good with the fact that Russell doesn't pose the same threat to run the ball in our zone reads.

4) Defense continues to give up yards...but I'm not concerned
- These past two games have shown us how valuable Michael Bennett is to this defense. We allowed Hightower to rush over 100 yds against us and tonight the Bills ran for over 160. Bennett's numbers will never be like Von Miller's or JJ Watt's, but he wrecks havoc on that line every snap he is out there. The pass rush hasn't been the same since Bennett has been out. Saints and Bills were able to convert third downs after third downs against us. The strategy is easy, keep hitting us with dink and dunks and quick passes. When the pressure takes too long to get there, any good qb can sit back and find a hole in the zone.

We had to dial up the blitz a few times on that final drive to finally get to Taylor. We may have to do that next week against Brady. Double Gronk, pressure Brady, and force Edelman or Hogan to beat us vertically.

Overall, I'm not concerned about our defense. We'll have our work cut out for us next week against the Patriots, but in the long run once we get Kam and Bennett back...we're back to being the best defense in football or at least in the NFC.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the focus of the game has/and will be the non call at the end of the first half. Though it probably should have been roughing - it isn't as cut and dry as people want it to be. I looked up the rule in the NFL rule book and it states that it isn't roughing if the player contacts the ball before making contact with the kicker. In the replays - it is clear that Sherman hits the ball with his left hand (trying to knock it out of the holder's grip) before the kick is made. It's too bad that it played out like it did - but the refs did have some reason to not make the call (though it still looked like it should have been called).

I loved what I saw from Russell. He's looking healthy again - and even without a run game - that makes our offense dangerous again. It wasn't just how decisive he was, it was the accuracy on the throws that hasn't been seen all season. It's a great thing for this offense if Wilson gets hot.

I'm a little concerned about the defense, only because they are finding it extremely difficult to get off the field on 3rd down. That should improve I would think - but they've forced themselves into some long days in TOP by allowing a lot of conversions. If you watch the tape - it was just dump offs that hurt the defense - it was dump offs when there was plenty of time to throw. It appeared when Taylor had to throw a dump off within 2 or 3 seconds of the snap - the D was in place to stop it for a minnimal gain - but when he was given time, the zone dropped too far back and allowed open field running. Pressure has been a little inconsistent getting there with just 4 rushers, but that has always been the case (IMO). As the games go on, guys like Marsh and Clark will become more consistent and we'll get Bennett back as well.

Graham was a beast tonight - and he has definitely been made a focal point of the offense since about week 3. He and Baldwin are both on pace to have over 1000 yards receiving - and as Wilson gets healthier - the TDs should come much more frequently.

Our run game is atrocious. It's a combo of poor run blocking from the line (how is a Cable line better in pass pro than run blocking?) and Michael just not performing well the last 4 games. I always liked Rawls as the feature back, so he can't get back fast enough (IMO) and I hope he can muscle a little more success on the ground. Until then - Prosise looks like he should get a few more carries.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite the inability to run and the huge TOP disparity, the offense played far better than i expected. If they can continue this and morph into a pass heavy team we can win some games.

Hopefully rawls will bring life to the running game when he is back. At the very least he will bring toughness we are sorely lack8ng

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't posted in a while but it's nice to see that we're still the most hated team on the hoop besides the Patriots

Here are some of my thoughts on the game

1) Passing game looks great
- Russell was confident and decisive tonight. A lot of credit goes to Bevell for his play calling in the game. A lot of the scheme and movement prior to the snap messed up the Buffalo defense and left our guys streaking open. The timely play action calls and the emphasis to move the pocket for Russell to buy him more time worked out great. The vertical game was a real threat tonight and if Kearse had held on to that diving td, Russ would have had an even bigger game.

2) THIS is why we traded for Jimmy Graham
- This was a move we needed to make in order for Russell to evolve into the quarterback Pete envisioned him being. Marshawn was the heart beat of this offense, but Pete and John knew this would eventually become Russell's team. Jimmy Graham has been an absolute weapon for us this year. Those two one handed touchdowns grabs won us the game tonight.

And you gotta love the fire this guy plays with. You know he LOVES the 12th man now that we're on his side. And honestly, all the talk about him being soft, this guy has been anything but that since joining here. He takes some of the HARDEST hits running seam routes in the middle of the field and he almost always hangs on to the ball. No matter the coverage, if the ball is in the air, he has a chance to get it.

3) Run game is concerning
- We've struggled to get the run game going every game this season besides the 49er game. I think it's a combination of this line just not being good with the fact that Russell doesn't pose the same threat to run the ball in our zone reads.

4) Defense continues to give up yards...but I'm not concerned
- These past two games have shown us how valuable Michael Bennett is to this defense. We allowed Hightower to rush over 100 yds against us and tonight the Bills ran for over 160. Bennett's numbers will never be like Von Miller's or JJ Watt's, but he wrecks havoc on that line every snap he is out there. The pass rush hasn't been the same since Bennett has been out. Saints and Bills were able to convert third downs after third downs against us. The strategy is easy, keep hitting us with dink and dunks and quick passes. When the pressure takes too long to get there, any good qb can sit back and find a hole in the zone.

We had to dial up the blitz a few times on that final drive to finally get to Taylor. We may have to do that next week against Brady. Double Gronk, pressure Brady, and force Edelman or Hogan to beat us vertically.

Overall, I'm not concerned about our defense. We'll have our work cut out for us next week against the Patriots, but in the long run once we get Kam and Bennett back...we're back to being the best defense in football or at least in the NFC.

#3 is a massive understatement. Hopefully when Rawls comes back he can inject some life into the run game. Plus it will get some help when teams have to account for a more healthy more mobile Russell Wilson in the upcoming weeks.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell is clearly on the uptick with his health, which is great to see. Hopefully he continues on that path without getting dinged up again. Graham is making some amazing catches/plays this year. The feeble running game is a concern, but help may be on the way if RW continues to get better and return to being a threat to take off. Was really hoping Prosise would get 10-12 carries in the game to show what he can do but that didn't happen as we more or less forgot about the ground game.

The D has had 2 subpar games in a row. Not sure if it's the lingering effects of the Arizona game or being without 2 important pieces, but if we go into NE on Sunday with this sort of performance it's going to be rough.

I think the focus of the game has/and will be the non call at the end of the first half. Though it probably should have been roughing - it isn't as cut and dry as people want it to be. I looked up the rule in the NFL rule book and it states that it isn't roughing if the player contacts the ball before making contact with the kicker. In the replays - it is clear that Sherman hits the ball with his left hand (trying to knock it out of the holder's grip) before the kick is made. It's too bad that it played out like it did - but the refs did have some reason to not make the call (though it still looked like it should have been called).

I think the issue isn't whether he hit the ball first but that he continued on and hit the kicker after the ref blew it dead.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not having bennett and chancellor has definitely hurt the D, but i frel like the arizona game has created a problem that has snowballed. Our defense has basically play 10 games instead of 8 at this point. If our offense cant string together some long drives soon our d might just wear out entirely.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not having bennett and chancellor has definitely hurt the D, but i frel like the arizona game has created a problem that has snowballed. Our defense has basically play 10 games instead of 8 at this point. If our offense cant string together some long drives soon our d might just wear out entirely.

We seemed to get OK pressure on Taylor last night so missing Bennett seemed less of an issue IMO than missing Kam. McCray and Lane got torched over and over and even when they were in decent position they couldn't make the tackles that Kam routinely makes. A couple time we should have stopped the Bill's behind the line of scrimmage or 2 or 3 yards short of a first down but McCray couldn't tackle to save his life. The rest of the team whiffed on a bunch of tackles as well but McCray and Lane stood out to me as worse than the rest. Of course it didn't help that Shady McCoy was having an inspired game and he's one of the better backs when he's playing good. Still, he was getting a lot of yards after contact that I think he may not have got if Kam was back there.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well as far as the 3rd down is concerned we really have to give it up to Tyrod Taylor he was elusive enough to buy enough time for his receivers to get open it really felt like we were facing Russell Wilson. A couple of those 3rd down conversions were really just 1 yard runs including a TD that was handed to them due to a botched punt. I was however pissed that on 3rd and 21 they were able to throw for a 1st down there is no excuse for that even if we did blitz.

A positive note they did a pretty good job of containing LeSean McCoy he was all over the place catching passes and running with the ball to hold them to 85 yards to 21 carries then 4 carries to 35 yards. He didnt have any explosive plays that would normally kill teams that face him.

On a bad note I have been saying this over and over and over and over and over but nobody listens to me. WE HAVE NO RUN GAME. CM is a good guy but he is an average RB and I had a feeling that he was because he was cut by two different teams 3 if you count the seahawks. He would have an explosive play here and there but he isnt that consistent reliable 4 to 5 yards type back. He would get stopped at the line or for 2 or 3 yards then get his one 60 yard explosive run which would make his YPC avg look better than what it really is. on the hawks last offensive drive even the commentator said that the hawks had to throw the ball to kill the clock and move the chains due to the lack of efficiency in the run game.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a bad feeling about the New England game.

1. Seattle struggles to cover tight ends, and NE has 2 pro bowler TEs.
2. Seattle has no running game.
3. The defense cannot stop drives
4. Shallow underneath crossing patterns give the Seahawks fits.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We seemed to get OK pressure on Taylor last night so missing Bennett seemed less of an issue IMO than missing Kam. McCray and Lane got torched over and over and even when they were in decent position they couldn't make the tackles that Kam routinely makes. A couple time we should have stopped the Bill's behind the line of scrimmage or 2 or 3 yards short of a first down but McCray couldn't tackle to save his life. The rest of the team whiffed on a bunch of tackles as well but McCray and Lane stood out to me as worse than the rest. Of course it didn't help that Shady McCoy was having an inspired game and he's one of the better backs when he's playing good. Still, he was getting a lot of yards after contact that I think he may not have got if Kam was back there.

We got to him on occassion but waaaaaay too many plays where he had literally all day and a huge pocket to throw from.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got to him on occassion but waaaaaay too many plays where he had literally all day and a huge pocket to throw from.

That is true, but T.T. is a lot like Wilson in that he's a pretty decent escape artist. I think if that had been just about any other QB back there we'd have chalked up two or three more sacks last night. Taylor is very slippery and has a really good way of scrambling away from pressure.

Next week we will have a different problem. Brady is almost a statue but he has an insanely good ability to get the ball out super quickly and avoid any pass rush that way. But if we can somehow slice through his O-line a few times he should be a much easier target to bring down than Taylor.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a bad feeling about the New England game.

1. Seattle struggles to cover tight ends, and NE has 2 pro bowler TEs.
2. Seattle has no running game.
3. The defense cannot stop drives
4. Shallow underneath crossing patterns give the Seahawks fits.

I don't.

1) Gronk has had his share of injuries to.

2) True but NE cant cover Te's and we got Jimmy

3) we can but we need to be in tawmmy face to do it. Someone needs to step up and fill Bennett's shoes.

4) That can be solved actually. Have Brock, Bubba or KJ play more towards the line and their job is to cover the shallow crossing routes until help arrives

Disclaimer: my post doesn't advocate injury ;)

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the issue isn't whether he hit the ball first but that he continued on and hit the kicker after the ref blew it dead.

Actually, I think the issue is that people are emotional about these things and they already dislike Sherman - so they just naturally throw anything but the emotional response out the window.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I think the issue is that people are emotional about these things and they already dislike Sherman - so they just naturally throw anything but the emotional response out the window.

Not me. I believe that a un necessary rough ness was in order.

The kicker foot was back whrn Sherman blocked the kick

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe. I'm not saying unnecessary shouldn't have been called - just that roughing the kicker shouldn't have been (which is what a majority are calling for). But, really - in the end, once Sherman touches that ball he can blow that kicker up and it's legal. Fair or not, safe or not... the only rule Sherman clearly broke that play was offsides. Maybe, because of this, the rules committee changes the wording of the rule or the rule completely so that something like this is against the rules, but it just wasn't last night.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing to a non conference opponent on the road is really not a big deal I think there is more for New England to lose than for us to win. If we lose to New England this weekend looking at the remaining schedule there should be no reason why we cant win the remaining 6 of 7 games that are left and finish with 11 wins.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating Buffalo was huge, because it gave the Hawks a two game cushion over Arizona in the West, so if they can't beat New England on the road on Sunday night, the worst that can happen is that they come out of it with a one game lead in the division and three of their next four games coming against teams going in the wrong direction in the standings.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating Buffalo was huge, because it gave the Hawks a two game cushion over Arizona in the West, so if they can't beat New England on the road on Sunday night, the worst that can happen is that they come out of it with a one game lead in the division and three of their next four games coming against teams going in the wrong direction in the standings.

Huge in the fact that we need to win our home games...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, you're sort of mixing 2 things there. Based on what the rules are, Sherm was clear to blast the kicker because the ball wasn't away (and he got the ball). You really can only argue that an "unnecessary roughness" could be called *if* the play was blown dead and Sherm kept on trucking. Maybe this was covered already somewhere else, but I haven't spent much time here since the game.