• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on signing a FA o-lineman.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The center, Rodney Hudson for the Chiefs will be a free agent and he comes in as the third ranked center in the league last year. Different sources estimate that he may command around 5 million a season. He's only 25 years old and excells in pass protection and is good run blocking.

Now.

Assuming (just assuming) the Lions retain Suh, and make cuts or moves to free up cap space, would Lions fans consider bringing him in on a contract that wont exceed five million a year?

I would be glad to have him and possibly start Swanson on the left side. The Lions could still end up with a new RT from the draft to shore things up a bit more also.

Thoughts?

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we definitely need a starting guard next year. If we could get Hudson at a reasonable price and let Swanson be that guard I'd go for it. It'd give us a bit of flexibility on the line with Swanson able to fill at Center and then only needing a couple backup guards on the bench.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts?
I would make a run at both Hudson AND Iupati (I am assuming that we lose Suh). Swanson would be a versatile backup at both G spots and C.

By my estimate a full 53 man roster, the rookies, and the PS also counted the Lions could have $23m+ remaining they could spend in FA without having to restructure any deals.

Cap success is all about how you structure the deals and layer them into the structure of the other deals on the team. With that type of $ the Lions could legitimately target both of those o-lineman and a guy like Revis and still have $ left to resign our own key FA's (with those being Fairley, Johnson, Prater, and Mosley IMO).

O-line solved and deep with quality back ups. Loss of Suh is crushing but the addition of Revis gives us a very strong DB core which will help to offset that loss some.

Best thing we could give both the offense and the defense is a strong running game. Those additions certainly give us an o-line capable of that. I'm fine with Gordon or Coleman in the first and with a very deep draft at DT you target that spot in the 2nd rd, even if you need to trade up to do so.

IMO that's a complete team that despite losing Suh could be a contender. :scratch:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I applaud that idea Dr. Eviler (hate typing that). That would be terrific to get something like that done. As of right now, all the top RBs are projected to go in the second half of the draft and the Lions may have their choice between them.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be thrilled with signing Hudson at the right price. Like Max said, we'd then have 2 starting-caliber centers, meaning we wouldn't need a back-up combo center/guard, so finding those back-ups becomes much easier...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would make a run at both Hudson AND Iupati (I am assuming that we lose Suh). Swanson would be a versatile backup at both G spots and C.

By my estimate a full 53 man roster, the rookies, and the PS also counted the Lions could have $23m+ remaining they could spend in FA without having to restructure any deals.

Cap success is all about how you structure the deals and layer them into the structure of the other deals on the team. With that type of $ the Lions could legitimately target both of those o-lineman and a guy like Revis and still have $ left to resign our own key FA's (with those being Fairley, Johnson, Prater, and Mosley IMO).

O-line solved and deep with quality back ups. Loss of Suh is crushing but the addition of Revis gives us a very strong DB core which will help to offset that loss some.

Best thing we could give both the offense and the defense is a strong running game. Those additions certainly give us an o-line capable of that. I'm fine with Gordon or Coleman in the first and with a very deep draft at DT you target that spot in the 2nd rd, even if you need to trade up to do so.

IMO that's a complete team that despite losing Suh could be a contender. :scratch:

That would certainly strengthen our O-line, but I'd settle with just one of those two and roll with Swanson in the other spot. Drafting a back-up would be a lot cheaper than signing one of the top free agents at the position. I know we have the extra $$ in that scenario, but I'd say either save that $$ for next year, or use it on the DL or Secondary, or even at RB.

I think Swanson looks like he's going to be pretty damn good- he held his own surprisingly well this season. Use our good draft pick as intended and draft another Swanson to fill that back-up interior spot, imo...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even better, use that $$ on a RT.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I applaud that idea Dr. Eviler (hate typing that). That would be terrific to get something like that done. As of right now, all the top RBs are projected to go in the second half of the draft and the Lions may have their choice between them.

:scratch: Huh?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. I meant the top couple of RBs are projected to go in the second half of round one.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather save the $ and go into the draft aiming for an OG, and some possible depth.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. I meant the top couple of RBs are projected to go in the second half of round one.

Ahh.

Well that makes WAY more sense. But Coleman in the 4th sure would have been cool...

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit will have to IMO.

If Raiola and Sims leaves I think they will draft and sign at least one FA. I think the guys they have at RT will be ok if healthy but they need a backup center and guard to start.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could be the 2nd best FA signing, after Suh of course

Love this idea of bringing in Rodney Hudson. Watched him often at FSU and had hoped he might get a look from the Lions back in 2011. Hudson could be vital in continuing to teach Swanson all the ropes while also being a huge upgrade over both Raiola and Swanson. Plug Swanson in at LG and he'll continue to learn the C position while right next to Hudson.

Hudson, Reiff, Swanson, Warford, Waddle, Lucas and Williams, that's a young line that could grow together for quite some time. Mike Williams should get some reps at LG this upcoming year while also continuing reps at OT....

Draft another OG/C combo in April. (I'd rather draft O-Lineman who can play multiple positions already from here on out due to all the injuries in 2014). I'm fine with the current OT's on the roster unless they don't progress after this year, then look to find replacements next year.

GREAT CALL Lionstop1

and a big fat NOOOOO to bringing in IUPATI, for me at least

also on board with RB Tevin Coleman, so long as they sign either a FA C or LG, preferably Hudson

Last edited by a moderator:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hudson would be ideal for what the Lions need to accomplish. Let Swanson battle it out at LG along with possibly another rookie or a vet. Our tackles are fine and I wouldn't mess with them too much unless theres a dominant one available somehow.

The ability to run the ball will be key in the Lions success in 2015.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer saving the space. We need to start working on extensions for Levy and Reiff, before they are FA's next year. Then, I think the following year I think Ziggy, Warford, and Slay are FA's? Those 5 guys are going to be more important than any FA OG this year IMO.

I definitely don't support signing 2 guys and letting Swanson be "depth". Swanson should go into the season as a starter.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer saving the space. We need to start working on extensions for Levy and Reiff, before they are FA's next year. Then, I think the following year I think Ziggy, Warford, and Slay are FA's? Those 5 guys are going to be more important than any FA OG this year IMO.

I definitely don't support signing 2 guys and letting Swanson be "depth". Swanson should go into the season as a starter.

I agree, it looks like Swanson is another 3rd round starter that we "hit" on in the draft, gotta capitalize on that, imo. I'm not suggesting he's just named the starter without competing for it, but he should be expected to win the starting job...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats definitely something to consider 22, but signing Suh back also effects that situation. You have to pick your poison here. The Lions probably wont be able to retain everyone they have at the moment anyway. The next two or three years are where the Lions have their best chances to compete for the SB, so I think its important to do a couple things now.

While I agree that certain positions may be more of a priority to this team, I also know that the Lions wont win anything with the running game they have.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it looks like Swanson is another 3rd round starter that we "hit" on in the draft, gotta capitalize on that, imo. I'm not suggesting he's just named the starter without competing for it, but he should be expected to win the starting job...

Sorry Tpaul,

Gotta play devil's advocate. We can't say Swanson was a "hit" because he played one game and did alright. Same way we can't say we missed on Van Noy or Ebron yet. All three of these guys should be full time players in year two at some point however.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Tpaul,

Gotta play devil's advocate. We can't say Swanson was a "hit" because he played one game and did alright. Same way we can't say we missed on Van Noy or Ebron yet. All three of these guys should be full time players in year two at some point however.

Swanson started several games this year, not just that last one in GB. I'm not saying he's arrived, or anything like that, but based on how well he played in extended action as a rookie he's definitely a guy you want to look at as a starter, imo...

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Tpaul,

Beat me to the punch with that one. Way to early. I thinks its important to go into the draft with the knowledge (at least to the best extent possible) that we are going to have a vastly improved o-line. If we are talking about a RB in the first then that's critical.

For that reason I advocate getting both Iupati and Hudson. Probably safe to assume that Swanson will see a fair amount of action as a result of injuries. Even nothing significant to any of Iupati, Hudson, and Warford that might pull them out for a game or two here and there and you've got Swanson.

With the lame ass, pussy offense we seem to be using we damn sure need to be able to run the ball one helluva lot better than we did in 2014. Unless Barry Sanders is in this draft taking a RB in the first with a line that cant open any holes is worthless.