• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thor 3: Ragnarok (2017)

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, finally, Grandmaster:

8DlRuUK.jpg

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Releases 1 week from today!

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a change of guard from Thor 1 & 2. I enjoyed it.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exceeded expectations and I'm a huge Thor fan to begin with. One of the best Marvel movies to date, imo.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was good, but they should've ditched some of the jokes for more meaningful dialogue.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great movie.

My top 5 Super hero movies, both Guardians, Thor, Deadpool, and a tossup.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw it tonight.

Gotta say, I was disappointed. The jokes were too predictable and sophomoric at that. The best joke was shown in the previews (He’s a friend from work!).

Not that I was a huge fan of the first 2 Thor movies, but this was SUCH a diversion from not only the movies, but the character as a whole, it was quite jarring. They made Thor a fool in this movie. He was a jester. In the previous movies, he was a bit more of a straight man. He had a dry humor. In this, he was just a yuck up.

As for Grandmaster and Hella, they really should have spelled out more of their back stories. No mention that Grandmaster is Collectors brother. A scene with the Collector at the party or watching the fights would have been great. And why not explain Hella’s power a little bit. I know a little of what it is about (her hair controls matter, or something like that), but no mention at all in the movie.

All that said, as a stand-alone movie it was not that bad. It was not boring and the story was actually pretty good.

I would give it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
America is not a place. Its a people.

As someone who liked Thor 1 and thought Thor 2 was mediocre...

This was only slightly better than Thor 2. The trailer ruins the movie and the after credits scene is a buzzkill. The movie is bloated and none of the characters carry the weight they should.

B-

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough room.

Heh. Maybe it's me not being a comic reader for 40+ years, but I've got no 'omfg, how could they change THAT?!!!' moments going on when I watch.

Explain Hella's hair?

Seriously?

I didn't mind the first two movies, where T was the 'straight' man. The less than always serious nature of the third was a bit refreshing from the usual
x-menso-deep-serious-stuff.jpg

--

Overpowered superheroes (Superman, various Gods etc) are tough sledding for writers, as they have to try and keep some drama.

So I for one, was A-OK, with the lighter tone. But admittedly, I've no real dog in the 'canon' fight.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was FUN!! In typical Marvel fashion, you don't really feel like serious stuff is happening because everything is treated in such a lighthearted way.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough room.

Heh. Maybe it's me not being a comic reader for 40+ years, but I've got no 'omfg, how could they change THAT?!!!' moments going on when I watch.

Explain Hella's hair?

Seriously?

I didn't mind the first two movies, where T was the 'straight' man. The less than always serious nature of the third was a bit refreshing from the usual
x-menso-deep-serious-stuff.jpg

--

Overpowered superheroes (Superman, various Gods etc) are tough sledding for writers, as they have to try and keep some drama.

So I for one, was A-OK, with the lighter tone. But admittedly, I've no real dog in the 'canon' fight.
For me a B- is an 8.0/10 which is actually higher than its Metacritic rating of 73. There are a lot of things I like but for me its around the same level as Avengers 2 in that it mostly seems to exist to get all of the characters lined up for the next movie.

I think the Thor/Hulk fight was excellent. Banner's dialogue also was very sharp and the Grandmaster was pretty much perfect. The casting in the movie is also about as good as it gets.

Its a movie I'm glad I saw once but I'm not sure that I need to go back and watch it again. The whole thing completely erases the Thor universe from existence and i feel like Hulk's role in the MCU is just to take on 'the big thing' in the background while everyone else gets to star in the movie. Hela was fantastic but I think she might have had more impact if she was in earlier movies.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got a chance to see it. Loved it. I like the more fun and jokey yet still badass direction they're going in with Thor and I say this as a fan of the first two (not many people like them apparently). I would have liked a little more time Hella, Jeff Goldblum...er...sorry Grand Master, and Valkyrie but the movie was already pretty long as is. Solid B+

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked it. Thought it was maybe too comedic but considering the fact that I slept through the first 2 Thor movies then it would be silly to knock it for that. The Valkyrie seemed kind of needless and not much payoff, not to mention the costume was a little goofy looking on her. Other than that there's nothing else I really had a problem with. It's a fun movie, not quite as fun as Guardians but on the same level.

They were definitely going for more GotG with this one, and I don't mind a bit.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved this movie. Definitely a new perspective with Thor. Much more Tony-Stark-like. Some of the humor was a little elementary, but most of it was delivered well.

The scene where Thor unleashes his powers on the bridge over a Led Zeppelin score near the climax was epic. Gave me the goosebumps.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved this movie. Definitely a new perspective with Thor. Much more Tony-Stark-like. Some of the humor was a little elementary, but most of it was delivered well.

The scene where Thor unleashes his powers on the bridge over a Led Zeppelin score near the climax was epic. Gave me the goosebumps.
I was not a fan of either of the first two Thor movies. And I liked Thor 3.

But the dramatic change in the character in order to get here was just too jarring for my tastes. Continuity means something.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But the dramatic change in the character in order to get here was just too jarring for my tastes. Continuity means something.
Understandable. I hardly even remember the first 2 Thor movies so that may have helped me get past that continuity.

I loved in Thor 3 where they briefly spoke about Thor dumping the girl from the first 2 movies. Hilarious.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wouldn't it make sense continuity wise in the marvel universe though? I believe there have been a few movies Thor has appeared in that weren't apart of his trilogy in between 2 and 3. It could make sense if you say that he developed more of a human personality hanging out on Earth for so long. If that were the case then I'd probably have to applaud the writers for good character development.

I'm no expert on the Thor character or anything, just playing devil's advocate.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't it make sense continuity wise in the marvel universe though? I believe there have been a few movies Thor has appeared in that weren't apart of his trilogy in between 2 and 3. It could make sense if you say that he developed more of a human personality hanging out on Earth for so long. If that were the case then I'd probably have to applaud the writers for good character development.

I'm no expert on the Thor character or anything, just playing devil's advocate.
Sure. Decent point. But he was a total clown in Ragnarok. He wasn’t just more laid back, he was completely certifiable.