• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Never Gets Old

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Catch - YouTube

...Especially if you went through the dark days of the 60s and 70s. If you have 8 minutes and 30 seconds, treat yourself to this video of the drive that culminated in "The catch".

i went thru the dark days of the mid to late '70, ugh! if younger guys can remember the '04 and '05 seasons, thats how bad it was. for me, it felt even worse cause i was young? sports and competition in general, are more intense when younger.

its similar to now, we've been sad for YEARS and it looked even worse before this season? but out of nowhere, we unexpectedly win the superbowl next month.

don't recall the '81 being so explosive on offense either, but the TEAM was in sync.......like now. biggest difference now.........by this point in '81, felt better with a Montana at the helm. 'Joe cool'..................

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Watching the video, even though I knew Clark is going to catch the ball, I still busted out laughing and got chills when he did. The pure joy on the faces of the fans while they are panning the crowd still gets me. Did you notice the pimp in the white suit and hat just after Clark catches the ball? Priceless.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't around for The Catch, but I still get chills when ever I watch Jerry Rice. I used to study film on him growing up. I ran like him, caught like him, used his moves running patterns. Maybe you get jaded when you get older, or maybe when you are young you look up to these guys, but I miss that feeling.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sprint Option Right - Baby!!! Sprint Option Right...Whoot Whoot!!! I know exactly where I was. Lon's call on that as with all those great plays was such a great call!!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Watching the video, even though I knew Clark is going to catch the ball, I still busted out laughing and got chills when he did. The pure joy on the faces of the fans while they are panning the crowd still gets me. Did you notice the pimp in the white suit and hat just after Clark catches the ball? Priceless.

Super Fly!!...

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is the first game i ever watched on tv with my dad....i was 2 years old i remember it like it was yesterday my dad was a hardcore cowboys fan and he was pissed after the game

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent witnessed a single superbowl yet : (

Even 94 i was too young to comprehend.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of course i have haha but i want the real deal, live and in person or at least live! haha

Good deal - I agree watching it happen live is a special experience - I hope you and everyone on this board get to have that experience sooner rather than later.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they sell the original and complete broadcasts of Super Bowls on DVD or Blu-ray? I know they have the highlight versions where they condense it down to 30 minutes, and those were lame as hell... those dumb VHS tapes that came with Sports Illustrated subscriptions.

I found this at the NFL.com store, and it claims to have the Original TV Broadcasts, but I was wondering if anyone has these or have a friend who does. To confirm that it is the complete game, and not just the boring highlight reel.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

to me Montana was throwing it away, and at the moment.......thought it was ok. dissapointing the play wasn't a TD, but ok not to force it.

weren't the Cowboys bigger favorites than the Saints are now? want to say they were like 6 point favorites?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In a play that would become immortalized as The Catch, 49ers wide receiver Dwight Clark made a leaping grab at the back of the end zone to score the winning touchdown with 51 seconds left in the game. San Francisco opened the scoring with quarterback Joe Montana's 8-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Freddie Solomon. However, Dallas countered with a 44-yard field goal by Rafael Septien, and then Tony Hill's 26-yard touchdown reception from quarterback Danny White. Montana then threw a 20-yard touchdown to Clark, to retake the lead, 14–10. Then a controversial pass interference penalty on 49ers defensive back Ronnie Lott nullified his interception and gave the Cowboys a first down at the San Francisco 12-yard line. Three plays later, running back Tony Dorsett scored on a 5-yard rushing touchdown to give Dallas a 17–14 lead by halftime.

In the third quarter, the 49ers regained the lead again with a 2-yard touchdown run by running back Johnny Davis. However, Septien made a 22-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter. Then, Cowboys cornerback Everson Walls recovered a fumble to set up White's 21-yard touchdown to tight end Doug Cosbie to give Dallas a 27–21 advantage. With 4:54 left in the game, San Francisco found themselves with the ball at their own 11-yard line. They marched 83 yards to the Dallas 6-yard line, where Montana threw a high pass that Clark just managed to grab for the game winning touchdown. Other contributors on the final 89-yard drive that led to the play now referred to as “The Catch” included Freddie Solomon (WR), Lenvil Elliott (RB), Earl Cooper (FB), Mike Wilson, Charle Young (TE), Dan Audick (LT), John Ayers (LG), Fred Quillan (C), Randy Cross (RG), and Keith Fahnhorst (RT).

However, the Cowboys still had enough time left in the game for one last drive. White threw a completion to Drew Pearson that almost went for a touchdown, but 49ers defensive back Eric Wright made a key tackle by getting one hand inside Pearson's jersey and dragging him down. Two plays later, Lawrence Pillers sacked While, forcing a fumble that was recovered by 49ers lineman Jim Stuckey, and the 49ers had their victory. Clark finished the game with 8 receptions for 120 yards and 2 touchdowns.

wow, didn't remember the part AFTER The Catch.

was trying to find the line of this game, no luck.

9er4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was 9 years old, and my older brother was a Cowboys fan. LOL! Remember it like it was yesterday.

One thing that I never noticed until I just watched it, was that all the 9ers WR's got down in a 3-points stance. When was the last time you saw that???

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
However, the Cowboys still had enough time left in the game for one last drive. White threw a completion to Drew Pearson that almost went for a touchdown, but 49ers defensive back Eric Wright made a key tackle by getting one hand inside Pearson's jersey and dragging him down. Two plays later, Lawrence Pillers sacked While, forcing a fumble that was recovered by 49ers lineman Jim Stuckey, and the 49ers had their victory. Clark finished the game with 8 receptions for 120 yards and 2 touchdowns.

wow, didn't remember the part AFTER The Catch.

was trying to find the line of this game, no luck.

Wrights tackle would have been (I believe) a horse-collar 15 Yd penalty in today's game.

How about the part when Montana took a knee then ran off the field because of death threats made against him the previous week. No on field post game interview for Joe...

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
to me Montana was throwing it away, and at the moment.......thought it was ok. dissapointing the play wasn't a TD, but ok not to force it.

weren't the Cowboys bigger favorites than the Saints are now? want to say they were like 6 point favorites?

I thought Montana was throwing it away also; still do. I meant, watching the video yesterday I knew Clark was gonna catch the ball.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wrights tackle would have been (I believe) a horse-collar 15 Yd penalty in today's game.

How about the part when Montana took a knee then ran off the field because of death threats made against him the previous week. No on field post game interview for Joe...

That still stands out to me that we were a couple of Eric Wiright's outstretched fingers from losing that game.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't quite born yet for this one. I have vague memories of the 49ers vs Broncos Super Bowl, but I was like 12 for the Chargers game. So I guess I can say both 49ers Super Bowls I did watch were blow out wins for us. I suffered a lot in the 90's though watching us make the playoffs every year only to lose to Dallas or Green Bay it seemed. My favorite 49ers moment is still Owens catch to the beat Packers.