• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This is getting ridiculous!

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems to be a natural baseball play (besides the uncalled interference that runs rampant imo, but that is a whole new can o' worms). This is analogous to ban tackling in Football, what a joke.

I fully agree that this is a natural baseball play and they need to leave it alone.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we really all that far off from this?

th

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we really all that far off from this?

th

That's not ok because a player could fart in the bubble and that could cause problems in his brain later in life that he isn't aware of. Maybe they should just get rid of players all together and we can all just watch simulated games on a giant tv? Don't want anyone to possibly get hurt.

Maybe they should use Nerf balls and bats until then?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not ok because a player could fart in the bubble and that could cause problems in his brain later in life that he isn't aware of. Maybe they should just get rid of players all together and we can all just watch simulated games on a giant tv? Don't want anyone to possibly get hurt.

Maybe they should use Nerf balls and bats until then?

They already have a plan for that in the NFL.

th

Can't be too many years off.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's a "natural baseball play" why doesn't it happen at every base?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's a "natural baseball play" why doesn't it happen at every base?

Because homeplate is inherently different in nature from say 1st base for example. Essentially the same reason why running through 1st base is also a natural play,unless of course you make a move towards 2nd, then that principle is broken and you are then liable to be tagged by the fielder which would usually be a 1B in most instances. Baseball tends to try to make it fair for the runner and fielder, given the nature of homeplate being that, assuming you actually touched all the other previous bases, if you touch homeplate, you score. Because this is true, we see catchers camping homeplate ,which is technically interference in my opinion, but that is a new can of worms that probably needs its own thread if I ever got bored enough to better illustrate my point, inevitably though, a collision occurs because a Catcher is never going to give a free run away to the other team, nor will a runner simply give himself up for an out... or atleast in principle, seeing a bunch of teams just flat give themselves up instead of running into a much bigger catcher.

TLDR; Collisions are consistent with the properties of homeplate, it is a natural play.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've been whispering about this for a while... Luckily, there are (and always will be) baseball purists that will push back any major changes. But, in time, all out tackles at the plate will be banned.

It'll start next season by enforsing the rule: "Runner must make an attempt at the plate." They will later add a rule to avoid aiming at the catchers head. Then they'll ban spearing. Then leading with your shoulder. Eventually, they will say you must slide...

And, as "natural" as the play seems, the intent is to knock the ball out of the catcher's mitt....

Slappy.jpg

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because homeplate is inherently different in nature from say 1st base for example. Essentially the same reason why running through 1st base is also a natural play,unless of course you make a move towards 2nd, then that principle is broken and you are then liable to be tagged by the fielder which would usually be a 1B in most instances. Baseball tends to try to make it fair for the runner and fielder, given the nature of homeplate being that, assuming you actually touched all the other previous bases, if you touch homeplate, you score. Because this is true, we see catchers camping homeplate ,which is technically interference in my opinion, but that is a new can of worms that probably needs its own thread if I ever got bored enough to better illustrate my point, inevitably though, a collision occurs because a Catcher is never going to give a free run away to the other team, nor will a runner simply give himself up for an out... or atleast in principle, seeing a bunch of teams just flat give themselves up instead of running into a much bigger catcher.

TLDR; Collisions are consistent with the properties of homeplate, it is a natural play.

The purpose of bowling over the catcher is very rarely to touch homeplate, but to knock the ball loose so you can't be tagged. And then once that happens the runner is free to touch homeplate. How often do we see the runner having to go back and touch it? The same principle would seem to apply at 2B... plow the SS and then go back and stand on the base afterwards if the ball comes loose.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The purpose of bowling over the catcher is very rarely to touch homeplate, but to knock the ball loose so you can't be tagged. And then once that happens the runner is free to touch homeplate. How often do we see the runner having to go back and touch it? The same principle would seem to apply at 2B... plow the SS and then go back and stand on the base afterwards if the ball comes loose.

Getting to second isn't really the same as getting to home but also, its easier to knock a ball from a catchers mitt that a second basemans glove. The catcher also has equipment on that can stop an injury possibly. Its not like it happens that often and I don't know the percentages but I would bet injuries don't happen most of the time? I don't think they should change it.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's getting ridiculous is teams taking guys from the Padres organization & making them their teams manager. First it was Detroit with Ausmus. Now it's the damn Cubs who took Renteria. I mean it's bad enough they took Jed & who knows how many other people. It's getting really old Theo. You started your career with the Padres & then jumped ship with Lucchino. Leave the Pads alone you asshole.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's getting ridiculous is teams taking guys from the Padres organization & making them their teams manager. First it was Detroit with Ausmus. Now it's the damn Cubs who took Renteria. I mean it's bad enough they took Jed & who knows how many other people. It's getting really old Theo. You started your career with the Padres & then jumped ship with Lucchino. Leave the Pads alone you asshole.

It does make one wonder in a way. As you mention, a lot of these hires are based on past relationships. That I get. The part that puzzles is the fact that the Padres have not been a perenial winner for some time, and, logic would more say for teams to want and look for guys from winning teams.