• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things that we love about CFB

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to hear what makes you love this game that we all are so passionate about. Back stories on your fandom, your Saturday rituals and traditions, stories en sech.

What makes you love this game more than anything else sports related?

For me, a long long time Oregon Duck fan it is all about the comradery at the tailgate with friends and family anticipating the march into Autzen Stadium.

The food, the drinks, and most of all the people. The opposing teams fans are always a blast to get to know. Inviting them over for a beer and bite to eat... getting to know them and their team from an insiders point of view is a true passion of mine.

You wait for your tickets in the mail then they arrive. Nothing is better than that first game of the year. The 2 hour drive to Eugene down I-5 is awesome. All the Duck flags and GO Ducks chants from fans all the way down. Pulling into the tailgate lot that me and several friends have been parking in for 15+ years is surreal.

Every season holds its ups and downs. Win or lose, it ultimately doesnt matter for what I take away from these Saturdays that I live for. The memories created are truly priceless. With Oregon's recent success, sure... it has been a little bit funner and definitely a wild experience. But if Oregon returned to a .500 team I can guarantee you that our crew would be at the games and do the exact same things we always have. Heck, for the majority of my near 20 years of attending games, my team hasnt been exactly stellar as a whole.

Now, we wait. We build anticipation that by August will have us in a frenzy for that opening kickoff.

Good Luck in 2014 CFB fans. What do you love about this great game?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and the colors. Love the colors. All that yellow with a little green here and there.

The opposing teams fans with their team colors.

Great stuff.

The Duck marching band occasionally walks through our tailgater with the cheerleaders in tow. They stop in front of some of the larger tailgaters (always ours) and let loose on a Duck band tradition. Mighty Oregon plays and the feeling of the college football spirit lives. Love that shit!

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on your 10th beer then they show up at your tailgater.

Fill in your teams fight song.

Goosebumps people.

Last edited by a moderator:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that going to see your school play football is the most enjoying experience for a fan in all of sports. I only hope that UH fans feel the same way when the new stadium opens this y

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ thread killer!

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing like sweating your ass off at Sun Devil Stadium in September with 100+ degree heat. Wouldn't have it any other way.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best things about CFB:

Listening to Keith Jackson on ABC.

New Year's Day with nonstop football from 10 am to midnight.

The Southwest Conference!

The Blue-Gray Classic.

Seeing all these seniors when they realize they have played for the last time....

Wait.....

None of these things exist anymore.

Fuck, I hate getting old.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Game Day Experience

I'm clearly a SUN football guy, but I've been to games @ UGA, and a few other SEC schools and there's no comparison to an NFL game.

CFB as a TV product...it's good when you have 2 good teams, but that's only about 6 games a year for most schools.

What kills CFB for me was the BCS and now this new playoff system...the old days of the bowl games and conference ties worked...it really did work. Trying to determine a national champion when some conference champions don't even have a chance to compete will never make sense to me.

Didn't mean to kill the thread.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably everything except the actual football part.... oh, and the pretending that the kids are anything but hired mercenaries part too.

Another NFL fan here... sorry.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great idea here, Mamba. Background on my fandom: I grew up in Omaha, Nebraska. Both my parents went to NU, and my grandpa went there as well. I was born in 1990, so my first memories of college football came around 1994 or so. We didn't have tickets on a consistent basis at that point (we shared them with our extended family) so I usually only got to go to the spring game and maybe one OOC game. On football saturdays, we would always go to my parents' friends' houses to watch the game and it was usually an all-day event. Everyone brought food and drinks and we would spend the entire day there. Us kids would play football in the backyard (tackle when the parents weren't watching) until it was time to go inside to watch the game. Given the timeframe that my early memories came in, I thought that Nebraska never lost a football game. As far as I knew, that's how it always had been and always would be (made the 2000's a bit rough on me :L). I remember watching Tommie Frazier's run in the Fiesta bowl in '96 and I was there for the memorial service for Brook Berringer before the 1996 spring game. Fast forward to when I was deciding where to go for college, and I had opportunities to go to several other schools, but chose Nebraska because I could not even begin to imagine supporting another school. GO BIG RED!

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The marching bands, the fight songs, the often marginally dirty cheers.

The traditions. I love going to a GT game and doing "The Budweiser" inbetween the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
p1_sterger.jpg

There are 4 reasons right there.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The gatherings, the memories.

Watching Texas vs. Arkansas, first "Game of the Century", on a crummy little TV in West Texas. Folks had moved there from Austin, job related. TV reception was in and out, and the sonic booms from AF jets rattling windows, cold as hell. Being behind, James Street running like crazy, scoring and going for 2. Street throwing a deep ball on 4th down, completing it. Texas coming back and winning, National Champs.

Jan 2006, Texas stops USC on fourth down. I knew at that moment, that the long wait was over, and that VY would drive down and score. The feeling, surrounded by many people yelling and jumping, cannot be described in words.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. So much that does it for me....

Since the days of being a tot, the family had season tickets. My dad is an alum, he was die hard. I can remember back to the days of being less than 10 years old... Back before things like the B1G Network. I can remember helping him out in the garage on Saturdays when PSU was away, playing some shit team. He'd work in the garage so he could listen to the radio since that was the only way to hear the game. I can remember the feeling that I got at every game that I went to as a kid... Screaming till I didn't have a voice anymore. I even remember where I was when I was 6 years old and we won our last natty.

Fast forward to when I went there... I was seasoned at it, had been doing it for ages. Gameday didn't affect me like it did others who had never seen it before. I still sat with the old man. Still went to our tailgate. Nothing had changed, just our ages and my location.

Went to Florida to live for a few years... I remember the terrible feeling I had 6 years ago when I realized I was going to go a year without seeing PSU play for the first time in 27 years of life. I had gotten lucky with being able to attend bowl games in FL, even saw the 3 OT thriller in the Orange Bowl.

Most people don't realize it because they think football is just a sport... It isn't. Its a way of life. It's a gathering place. In the case of PSU, you are with 110,000 of your closest friends a few times a year. I enjoy going on our football trip every year and experiencing the traditions and soaking in the college towns that we visit because I know that every place has fans there that have college football mean as much to them as it does to me.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for me, it's an overall experience that started when I was a child. First, my grandaddy took me to my first games and the man was my idol. It was cool as shit to spend time with my grandaddy. He let me listen to his Red Foxx 8 tracks and would let me "sneak" a sip of his bourbon. Once we got on the road I loved seeing all the flags on cars, trucks, busses, etc, the Tiger tails hanging from the trunks, bumper stickers, pom poms in the windows, everyone waving as you went by or as they went by you. Then, when you get to Clemson, there are tiger paws painted on the streets, Clemson fans and orange everywhere. I was sold on my first trip. When I was growing up, in the Danny Ford era, we rarely lost at home and the games grandaddy would take me to were always weaker opponents, like Wake, Duke, UVA, Furman and the like and we would beat the shit out them. So I thought we were just fucking awesome and couldn't be beat. The stadium was loud and everyone knew the cheers. It was just the coolest shit back then. I suppose I never grew out of it. I still love all those things plus now I get to drink and cook the ribs. And now my cousin, who also went with me and grandaddy, goes to the games with me.

FAMILY!! That's what I love about CFB.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in with I love the tits AND ass.

Im an ass man. If your team ever plays in Seattle vs Washington...... Holy Mother of God.

YOGA PANTS EVERYWHERE.... and they are FINE!