• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things that make you go hmmm!

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is cherry picking stats. There are no less than 5 ways the stats have been slimmed down to come up with the number.

Well, it is his thread.
If you want Alabama to look better, cherry pick your stats and start your own thread.
It really isn't that difficult.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is cherry picking stats. There are no less than 5 ways the stats have been slimmed down to come up with the number.

But at the same time Alabama and Florida fans are constantly throwing out Ohio State's record against top 5 teams. The only difference is selecting only in-conference games. You (not necessarily you but some SEC fans in general) can be a hypocrite if you want but that is pretty weak in my opinion. But no one will be losing sleep over what some idiot Michigan State fan thinks.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it is his thread.
If you want Alabama to look better, cherry pick your stats and start your own thread.
It really isn't that difficult.

Well, for starters it's just adding ignorance to things and I have no interest in that. Nevermind that even if I did, it would be 10 pages of me being called a homer, people pointing out the cherry picking and what not - and they'd be correct.

So, no thanks. Call me crazy, but I care about context and the reality.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But at the same time Alabama and Florida fans are constantly throwing out Ohio State's record against top 5 teams. The only difference is selecting only in-conference games. You (not necessarily you but some SEC fans in general) can be a hypocrite if you want but that is pretty weak in my opinion. But no one will be losing sleep over what some idiot Michigan State fan thinks.

I don't care what other people do, it's no excuse. I don't even know what Ohio St's record against top5 teams is, and don't really care. Most of those silly discussions I avoid.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It does remind me of the quote from Mr Baseball.

"I led the team in doubles after the 7th inning for the month of August" or something along those lines.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
triv·i·a
ˈtrivēə/
noun

1. details, considerations, or pieces of information of little importance or value.

trivia [ˈtrɪvɪə]
n
(functioning as singular or plural) petty details or considerations; trifles; trivialities

trivia
unimportant, trifling things or details, especially obscure and useless knowledge.

trivia - something of small importance

trivia (ˈtriviə) noun plural
unimportant matters or details.

Definition of TRIVIA

: unimportant matters : trivial facts or details; also singular in construction : a quizzing game involving obscure facts

triv·i·a [triv-ee-uh] Show IPA
plural noun
matters or things that are very unimportant, inconsequential, or nonessential; trifles; trivialities.

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course it's cherry picked. It wouldn't make you go "hmmmm", if it were some random common place number.

Why you look so stupid here is that he's not saying Alabama is bad because of it. Almost the opposite is inferred. You wouldn't expect this sort of thing to be with Alabama, so it's interesting. Nowhere did he say that makes them bad. A passing knowledge of such things even shows you how little this is worth. Top 10 teams lose very little games, therefore beating top 10 teams give you a good chance of knocking them out of the top 10. The question is, how many teams did Alabama beat that they knocked out of the top 10. Meaningful inferences can't be draw from this without at least going in that.

Funny that it's presented as something that's just interesting and you react as if somebody kicked your dog or something. Come on, ease up.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it's cherry picked. It wouldn't make you go "hmmmm", if it were some random common place number.

Why you look so stupid here is that he's not saying Alabama is bad because of it. Almost the opposite is inferred. You wouldn't expect this sort of thing to be with Alabama, so it's interesting. Nowhere did he say that makes them bad. A passing knowledge of such things even shows you how little this is worth. Top 10 teams lose very little games, therefore beating top 10 teams give you a good chance of knocking them out of the top 10. The question is, how many teams did Alabama beat that they knocked out of the top 10. Meaningful inferences can't be draw from this without at least going in that.

Funny that it's presented as something that's just interesting and you react as if somebody kicked your dog or something. Come on, ease up.

Did you not read the thread and the number of people who thought it was proof Alabama gets some kind of preferred treatment?

If was your team you'd react the same way. Hell Mamba got a lesson in that right after this thread was posted in another thread.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you not read the thread and the number of people who thought it was proof Alabama gets some kind of preferred treatment?

If was your team you'd react the same way. Hell Mamba got a lesson in that right after this thread was posted in another thread.
Wait, mamba is teachable? :whistle:

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bullshit stat and that's a fact! Enjoy all you want jelly fishes! You want to know why so many people were shocked the answer was Alabama? Because they remember them winning a ton of big games. It just turns out, on this particular list, those games don't count because when Bama beat a #3 team or a #4 team or a #5 team, etc. and those teams finished #11 or 12 or 13 they got no credit for it. They also didn't get credit for beating #1 Florida in 2009 or #3 Georgia last year. Don't admit it but you know that's bullshit. I admit from 1998 to 2007 the record was probably not good and that's fair but to include those years when saying Alabama get preferential treatment shows a lot of ignorance. but then again? What is so crazy is how many people slam fans who stand up for their team. Go figure. If those same people wouldn't stand up for their team then I promise you their team doesn't want them!

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bullshit stat and that's a fact! Enjoy all you want jelly fishes! You want to know why so many people were shocked the answer was Alabama? Because they remember them winning a ton of big games. It just turns out, on this particular list, those games don't count because when Bama beat a #3 team or a #4 team or a #5 team, etc. and those teams finished #11 or 12 or 13 they got no credit for it. They also didn't get credit for beating #1 Florida in 2009 or #3 Georgia last year. Don't admit it but you know that's bullshit. I admit from 1998 to 2007 the record was probably not good and that's fair but to include those years when saying Alabama get preferential treatment shows a lot of ignorance. but then again? What is so crazy is how many people slam fans who stand up for their team. Go figure. If those same people wouldn't stand up for their team then I promise you their team doesn't want them!

I dont know if I'd call it BS

If you beat the "#1" team in week 1 or 2 and that team finishes say 8-4.....what would you say about that? they clearly werent the #1 team in the country in that case

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know if I'd call it BS

If you beat the "#1" team in week 1 or 2 and that team finishes say 8-4.....what would you say about that? they clearly werent the #1 team in the country in that case

Very good point! But like I said earlier if you only go off top 10 at the end of the year, and you are one of them, that only leaves 9 teams that needed to be on your schedule as an opportunity to play a top 10 team. That's a very small sample size. But like you said, to count them during the season could be way off too. See USC last year starting #1. I suggested the best way to do it is top 10 teams at time of game as long as the team finishes in the top 15. That leaves a little wiggle room for getting credit for beating a damn good team.

Trivia is trivia as long as people take it as that. However, most posters have slammed Bama for getting preferential treatment yet a lot of the numbers come from many down years from 1998 to 2007 and of course the limited criteria. If people took it at face value so would Alabama fans. But when they hate on us of course we're going to defend. I really should say when their going to hate, Alabama fans are going to defend. Some posters in here literally give you a hard time if you say we or us when talking about your team like you think you play for them or something. Jus kind of shows the intellect we're dealing with! :L

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't presented or treated as trivia.

What team has been ranked seven times in the AP Top 10 over the past 15 season (“BCS era”) yet has a mere 1-19 record in conference vs other Top 10 programs?

What current BCS head coach over the past 25 seasons has had his teams ranked seven times in the AP Top 10 (16 times in the Top 25) despite the fact that his teams are a combined 3-37 vs other AP Top 10 teams over that span?

What former BCS head coach over the last 25 seasons of his career had his teams ranked seven times in the AP Top 10 (15 times in the Top 25) despite the fact that his teams were also a combined 3-37 vs other AP Top 10 teams over that span?

Recall that in games between 2 top 10 teams the combined records must be 0.500.

looks like trivia to me.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me as well. I just don't see what they read into it.

Many Bama fans are of the mind set that no one should ever say anything bad about their team. If you do, you are just a hater and they are going to go scream about how it is unfair and that it's cherry picking. Next thing you know they are going to start holding their breath and kicking the dog.