• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

They Play Like Adults but Read like 5th Graders

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems timely.

A CNN investigation found public universities across the country where many students in the basketball and football programs could read only up to an eighth-grade level. The data obtained through open records requests also showed a staggering achievement gap between college athletes and their peers at the same institution.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not shocked. I actually expect it. That's sad.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I read this earlier today.

Perfect timing

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the problem with it in terms of them going into school. But graduating like that doesn't seem very good.

The truth is that athletics is the only way some of these guys have a way out of bad situations. Obviously they would never have a chance at college or anything beyond that without their skills. So it's through sports that they are able to get these chances, and I have no problem at all with that.

I don't even have anything against them tutoring them up when they need it. Students that are slow learners getting help etc.

It's a good opportunity, and that's not a problem at all.

But if they graduate and are still there....Well that's a problem.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What this really should be is a condemnation of high schools and their glorification of the student athletes.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem I have with it is that these kids take scholarships away from those that are more deserving all because they can play a little ball. Kids that work their tails off to learn all the while playing the sport also. Yeah, football is big money but the bottom line is any institution of higher learning should always take the kids with the grades and work ethic over the ones that can just play ball.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the problem with it in terms of them going into school. But graduating like that doesn't seem very good.

The truth is that athletics is the only way some of these guys have a way out of bad situations. Obviously they would never have a chance at college or anything beyond that without their skills. So it's through sports that they are able to get these chances, and I have no problem at all with that.

I don't even have anything against them tutoring them up when they need it. Students that are slow learners getting help etc.

As someone who got wait-listed at UNC as an out of state student, I can tell you that it is a little disheartening to know that some clown who reads on a 4th grade level got in ahead of me because of his physical gifts. I can understand that athletes play by a different set of rules, but if you're not even mentally competent to make it through middle school, you do not deserve to be given a free pass at a prestigious university.

They're getting a 'opportunity' to hone their football skills. They're already way too far behind the curve to make anything of the 'educational opportunity' you're speaking of.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone who got wait-listed at UNC as an out of state student, I can tell you that it is a little disheartening to know that some clown who reads on a 4th grade level got in ahead of me because of his physical gifts. I can understand that athletes play by a different set of rules, but if you're not even mentally competent to make it through middle school, you do not deserve to be given a free pass at a prestigious university.

They're getting a 'opportunity' to hone their football skills. They're already way too far behind the curve to make anything of the 'educational opportunity' you're speaking of.

I agree with you here...and to further....for me....athletes demanding pay is right up there with your complaint. These guys get one hell of a free ride and if they have just half a brain, will be in a position to live a decent life after sports.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You dont see a problem with 18 year olds reading at the level of 10 year olds?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem I have with it is that these kids take scholarships away from those that are more deserving all because they can play a little ball. Kids that work their tails off to learn all the while playing the sport also. Yeah, football is big money but the bottom line is any institution of higher learning should always take the kids with the grades and work ethic over the ones that can just play ball.

tumblr_m084y3qKZw1rom9flo1_500.gif

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This all starts at the high school level. At the last district I worked for, nearly every teacher I talked to was stressed out and miserable. The ones who weren't were the head coaches of any sport. The head football coach taught 2 periods of walking each day and the rest of his day was just called admin. duties. What a joke! We had what was called a resource room were students w/specials needs could go for help. This is where they put all the head coaches. Instead of helping the students w/special needs, the room was always full of student athletes getting help staying eligible. As much as I like sports, I just hate what they've become.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Know what maybe scholarships should be pegged in some way to graduation rates where the more you graduate the more you can sign. Not sure you can go much below 75 scholarships and field a team in football but maybe make it 80 with 5 additional spots having yo be earned on a weighted graduation rate.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to school with Michael Bishop at K-State. I thought he was legally retarded and have no idea how he got a degree.
*Very nice guy though

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Know what maybe scholarships should be pegged in some way to graduation rates where the more you graduate the more you can sign. Not sure you can go much below 75 scholarships and field a team in football but maybe make it 80 with 5 additional spots having yo be earned on a weighted graduation rate.

In basketball, 10 teams, including UCONN, were not eligible for the NCAA Tournament because of their APR being too low. Most of them were small FCS schools but still. Tag that onto the playoff/bowl games and you might see something change PDQ.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the problem with that is schools will just make it so that more of their "student" athletes graduate by lowering the standards for graduation for that specific segment...

With how competitive recruiting and CFB is, not to mention the amount of revenue generated by it, most schools would definitely play it fast and loose with graduation rates if it meant additional schollies...

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is this news. When I was in college I don't remember having a single football or basketball player in any class beyond a few 100 level lecture hall courses. There are some that graduate early and work hard but they are more the exception, everyone knows that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During my undergrad I had a sociology professor who told me she was under pressure to pass a UW football player when she said he could hardly read or write. I always thought she was exaggerating, guess not.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During my undergrad I had a sociology professor who told me she was under pressure to pass a UW football player when she said he could hardly read or write. I always thought she was exaggerating, guess not.

Aint-Nobody-Got-Time-for-That.gif

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many college students who enter college actually read at a college level?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN) But when sports is put on the back burner and education is on the front then this issue will never go away. I know my High School "looked after" student athletes more than the average joe blow... Certainly this is the case in College but as WHITEMAMBA pointed out with his great GIF... it's all about the All Mighty Dollar