• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The XFL will last

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see the XFL and the NFL join forces! The XFL could become the NFL's developmental league.

That's what the AAF claimed they were trying to do from the jump. Which was a lie. They only tried that angle after the Hurricanes owner invested in the league.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main thing is whatever gives men new job opportunities for what they love to do instead of you know... Other stuff... Is good for everyone. Hopefully the XFL last just because of that.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that's why the USFL didn't make it. They wanted to go head-to-head against the Cartel. But that also means the XFL can't make a huge effort to poach too much of the top level talent, so the product will continue to be moderate.

Like others have said, if we just enjoy it for what it is, and not try to compare it to NFL...
But they could end up getting guys who don't want to go college for 3 years, I believe St. Louis has a safety who was dismissed from college his sophomore year and now playing in the XFL with the hopes of going to the NFL in the draft. He would have been a junior this past year.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who thinks the rules are stupid though? I get they want to make it exciting or whatever, but at the end of the day they’re just gimmicks that they were apparently gonna stay away from this time.

they don’t really add anything... other than the extra points set up adds a dynamic I guess, but beyond that, it just seems like random stuff to try to be different. The “comeback” clock in the last couple minutes is already perfected with the college football rules, the double forward pass is stupid (trick plays like a double pass should have consequences if you fuck it up). The kickoff thing is random and a weak attempt to fix something that didn’t need to be broken in the first place.

I didn’t have high hopes for this league, in fact I was in the camp that thought it’d fail in the first season. But the highlights I saw got my interest, might try to catch a game if I have time next weekend. But the rule changes will annoy me and take a lot of getting used to, and the cringey clip art logos/mascots are a big draw back as far as really buying in and buying merch goes...

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think it has the recipe to last but most of these leagues fail because they run out of money and fold up before the league has a chance to take off. If they can stick it out and let the league take root I can see it being a viable league for years to come.

The biggest thing that I see that helps it is the pace of play and because it's faster it's easier to watch and keep your interest.

The two things I think the league will need to do is hit large markets that the NFL isn't in. Cities like Portland, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, etc because those are markets that will people more willing to adopt a team to call their own.

And they should really go after college football and work on convincing kids to play in the XFL instead of going to college because they'll get paid and it's early but the XFL could shape up to be a better developmental league than college if the XFL can continue to increase it's overall talent level.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main thing is whatever gives men new job opportunities for what they love to do instead of you know... Other stuff... Is good for everyone. Hopefully the XFL last just because of that.

Creating jobs industry in a very exclusive industry. I agree.

And what I saw just from the highlights was a fairly decent product.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Creating jobs in a very exclusive industry. I agree.

And from what I saw just in the highlights it is a fairly decent product.

dammit. Quoting myself because I can't go back and fix my errors. And retool my sentence.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who thinks the rules are stupid though? I get they want to make it exciting or whatever, but at the end of the day they’re just gimmicks that they were apparently gonna stay away from this time.

they don’t really add anything... other than the extra points set up adds a dynamic I guess, but beyond that, it just seems like random stuff to try to be different. The “comeback” clock in the last couple minutes is already perfected with the college football rules, the double forward pass is stupid (trick plays like a double pass should have consequences if you fuck it up). The kickoff thing is random and a weak attempt to fix something that didn’t need to be broken in the first place.

I didn’t have high hopes for this league, in fact I was in the camp that thought it’d fail in the first season. But the highlights I saw got my interest, might try to catch a game if I have time next weekend. But the rule changes will annoy me and take a lot of getting used to, and the cringey clip art logos/mascots are a big draw back as far as really buying in and buying merch goes...
The kickoff change is the only difference I like. I wouldn't mind seeing the NFL adopt a form of it. The clock rules at the end of the half is kind of dumb.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that's why the USFL didn't make it. They wanted to go head-to-head against the Cartel. But that also means the XFL can't make a huge effort to poach too much of the top level talent, so the product will continue to be moderate.

Like others have said, if we just enjoy it for what it is, and not try to compare it to NFL...

The USFL was close to getting over the hump even in h-t-h mode in some markets. The biggest problem was TV contract and they paid the players too much too quickly.

From what I've seen so far...the XFL can thrive as an offseason developmental league.

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on the XFL website, I read that they sold out of merchandise that weekend!
I fill out surveys and like that this league cares what the fans think.
Look for less cameramen on the field and less sideline interaction.

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually the feedback that I saw is that the kickoff rule is a huge hit with fans!

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the feedback that I saw is that the kickoff rule is a huge hit with fans!

Going to a small game party this afternoon. So far our friends and family seem to like it. We get it that it's a tier below the NFL, but so is college, and so is high school, but we like watching those too, particulalry hs.

It's weird that there are people that want it to fail. It makes no sense. If someone doesn't like it, don't watch it, and move on.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to a small game party this afternoon. So far our friends and family seem to like it. We get it that it's a tier below the NFL, but so is college, and so is high school, but we like watching those too, particulalry hs.

It's weird that there are people that want it to fail. It makes no sense. If someone doesn't like it, don't watch it, and move on.

Yeah I was skeptical at first.

But I'd like to see them make it.

Again, this effort is creating jobs in a very exclusive job market.
We send this guys to college in hopes/dreams of getting a job playing pro football so kudos to them for getting a chance to live the dream.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I was skeptical at first.

But I'd like to see them make it.

Again, this effort is creating jobs in a very exclusive job market.
We send this guys to college in hopes/dreams of getting a job playing pro football so kudos to them for getting a chance to live the dream.

I'm hoping they start grabbing players that have no business being in college other than their football talent. The colleges are just a gigantic scheme stealing the property (talent) of the players, for their own economic gain.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aaaaiiiiggghhhh!

Should have read "..these guys..."

Gawdammit I hate this times edit bullshit!

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The play should improve as we get deeper into the season. Congrats to Dallas on getting their first win!

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike its first try and other leagues, I think this time the XFL will last.

the backing and support from ESPN and FOX certainly helps with not only promotion but also production. It has a much more legitimate feel.

curious what new innovative things will come from the league.

already could see the NFL poaching the kickoff rule.

just seems like a much more intelligent and methodical second try by Vince

I really don't see the XFL getting many viewers in March and April with March Madness, The Masters and then Baseball starting up. I think they need viewership to survive, just don't see it happening.