• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Triple Double Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think it's funny that Olynyk is in the center of that pic. Again, I'm glad a Boston media outlet made that pic, and not a Utah one.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Numerical order: Sabonis, Jokic, James, Olynyk, Doncic.

Reverse alphabetical order: Sabonis, Olynyk, Jokic, James, Doncic.

Alphabetical order: Doncic, James, Jokic, Olynyk, Sabonis

First name reverse alphabetical order: Nikola, Luka, LeBron, Kelly, Domantas

First name alphabetical order: Domantas, Kelly, LeBron, Luka, Nikola

I can't think of an easy logical reason to put Kelly in the center.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jazz media department needs to be reevaluated. They're not fooling us, at least, with these stats.

I'm not going to suddenly consume more media about these players, because I saw a cool stat about how allsome (intentional) it was that a player had 10+ assists and didn't miss from the field.

They must have taken my post about "you make 100% of the shots you don't miss" way too seriously.

A better stat would be, in the NBA, how many players have achieved that stat? If they expanded the scope to that, and let's say he was one of six players in the past 20.5 years, then maybe that would mean something.

Agree. By the way, the triple double stat about Jordan Clarkson and the Jazz not getting one since Carlos Boozer was about the regular season. Rubio got it in the playoffs for us.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would have been good for them to mention.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olynyk just isn't the scorer that the other four are. Nor the rebounder. I think his playmaking is on par though.

I agree that the longer he plays, the less efficient he would be, and getting those last the rebounds be harder than spot minutes,

I don’t expect him to average a lot of points, but he averages 8.1 points in 19 minutes. If he were to play 38 minutes, I’m not saying he would average 16 points, but I don’t see that his rate would go much down unless he got tired.

The reason why I say that is because if he is not a focus on the offense when he comes in like Jordan Clarkson is, for example, so, being in a longer time, won’t make a difference, because his role would still be the same.

So again, unless he becomes less efficient because of stamina or something, his points rate per minute should stay static. And I’m already assuming that he hasn’t fouled out because I’m talking about a set number of minutes played hypothetically, not fouling out or having unlimited fouls, I suppose.

He has had a lot of threes and his passing has been mentioned. so it seems that just the rebounds are in question.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't think of an easy logical reason to put Kelly in the center.

The answer is obvious on why he was placed in the middle. Some intern got pictures of all those players and he’s the one with his arms folded. I’m serious. I don’t think they looked for a picture where he had his arms folded. It just came like that and the graphics designer put it that way like a pointed triangle.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the longer he plays, the less efficient he would be, and getting those last the rebounds be harder than spot minutes,

I don’t expect him to average a lot of points, but he averages 8.1 points in 19 minutes. If he were to play 38 minutes, I’m not saying he would average 16 points, but I don’t see that his rate would go much down unless he got tired.

The reason why I say that is because if he is not a focus on the offense when he comes in like Jordan Clarkson is, for example, so, being in a longer time, won’t make a difference, because his role would still be the same.

So again, unless he becomes less efficient because of stamina or something, his points rate per minute should stay static. And I’m already assuming that he hasn’t fouled out because I’m talking about a set number of minutes played hypothetically, not fouling out or having unlimited fouls, I suppose.

He has had a lot of threes and his passing has been mentioned. so it seems that just the rebounds are in question.
Yes, the rebounds are the hardest part for him.

Maybe one reason why his scoring rate could go down, is because of what you said: He's not the focus of the offense. Which means players who usually look for their shot more, would shoot more, even when he's on the court.

Or he'd pass the ball to others. But even with that, he should still get double figures, if he played 31+ minutes.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer is obvious on why he was placed in the middle. Some intern got pictures of all those players and he’s the one with his arms folded. I’m serious. I don’t think they looked for a picture where he had his arms folded. It just came like that and the graphics designer put it that way like a pointed triangle.
Maybe the intern wouldn't have minded if he blocked out other people.

Sabonis is blocking out LeBron James.

Jokic is blocking Doncic.

Maybe if Olynyk had his arms extended horizontally, he could have blocked off 3 people.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the rebounds are the hardest part for him.

Maybe one reason why his scoring rate could go down, is because of what you said: He's not the focus of the offense. Which means players who usually look for their shot more, would shoot more, even when he's on the court.

Or he'd pass the ball to others. But even with that, he should still get double figures, if he played 31+ minutes.

Rate should stay the same if you are not looking for your shot - as in right place right time scoring. His rate is clearly high enough to average over ten points if playing 100 possessions or 36 minutes. There’s no reason for that to drop, besides, maybe him getting fewer easy baskets if he is fatigued.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking of situations where a player goes almost an entire quarter without a FGA. That sometimes happens to players who ARE aggressive.

So imagine being a player who does not look to shoot.

Then there's been a few games where people accused Kobe Bryant of tanking, because his FGAs were so low. I watched most of those games. He said he was just looking to make the right play. And I believe him. He gave one example of how if you score on Phoenix, they don't care. So he said the way to beat Phoenix is to lock in defensively. One or two made baskets isn't going to deter Phoenix. So Bryant said he was focusing on defense in that game, rather than trying to get up as many shots as possible.

There was another game a few years ago, where allegedly one of Bryant's teammates said after the media that they thought Bryant tanked the game, by refusing to shoot. They thought he was refusing to shoot, to prove how he was more valuable than Shaq, and how the Lakers need him more than Shaq. Maybe that's what happened, but I think Bryant just played that game as he saw fit. Not with any ulterior motive about proving his value.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of his (unnamed) teammates said he thought Bryant refused to shoot.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So imagine being a player who does not look to shoot.

With as much three-point shooting he has, I can imagine him disappearing on the perimeter and not getting rebounds to get easy put backs. I think I am biased to think that he is taller, and so therefore should be a scrapy player. But if he were the scrappy player does little things, and still averaged eight points in 19 minutes, it wouldn’t be a stretch to get one more shot if he doubled his minutes.

Still, I think it’s not going to be a stretch to say he could get two more points. Even if he were to disappear at times, I assume the 19 minutes could be efficient because he is trying not to disappear, but if that were the case, you wouldn’t be thinking he was going to disappear.

maybe we can look at the splits that show what he does in a few minutes versus many minutes, but even that is going to be different from game to game based upon the matchups. Someone who is a focal point of the offense like Malone is going to be more similar and consistent whereas I see someone like him to be up and down.

But part of the reason why I scoffed at the idea of not being able to average 10 points if he played double the minutes is that I don’t feel that low points should be hard. Which is part of the reason why I’m not not as impressed with Duncan’s 21 points average. Focal part of the offense, 7 foot one, and can’t average more than 21 besides a season or two. If one wants to break down offense and defense, then, obviously defense is going to be more impressive.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With as much three-point shooting he has, I can imagine him disappearing on the perimeter and not getting rebounds to get easy put backs. I think I am biased to think that he is taller, and so therefore should be a scrapy player. But if he were the scrappy player does little things, and still averaged eight points in 19 minutes, it wouldn’t be a stretch to get one more shot if he doubled his minutes.
He is a scrappy player. One former broadcaster calls him a "shit bird", in a good way.

It's a good quality to be a shit bird.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But part of the reason why I scoffed at the idea of not being able to average 10 points if he played double the minutes is that I don’t feel that low points should be hard.
Yes, I think he could average 10 points if his minutes were doubled.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen a Spurs game in a while, but Wembanyama looks like he's improving nicely during the course of the season.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without looking it up, guess the obvious reason why this is a ridiculous “historical” stat? (It doesn’t say historical this time, but that’s implied when you cite “since John Stockton.”)

View attachment 350674

I wish Dunn had Dunn this:

And yes, I know that the pun on his name is overdone, but that’s part of the joke. The Jazz Twitter page has used “Dunn deal” multiple times.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG! The Jazz Twitter page said Dunn Deal, when Dunn had a triple double that was close to what Jokic did?

I don't think the 15 rebound, 15 assist by Jokic is that impressive. But when factoring in that it's 100% FG, then yes, it's impressive.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG! The Jazz Twitter page said Dunn Deal, when Dunn had a triple double that was close to what Jokic did?

I don't think the 15 rebound, 15 assist by Jokic is that impressive. But when factoring in that it's 100% FG, then yes, it's impressive.

Huh? I mean there have been highlights where he has made a shot and they said Dunn deal. When they made his 10 day contract permanent, they said Dunn deal. Or on a clutch shot, they’ll say he wasn’t Dunn yet.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? I mean there have been highlights where he has made a shot and they said Dunn deal. When they made his 10 day contract permanent, they said Dunn deal. Or on a clutch shot, they’ll say he wasn’t Dunn yet.
Oh, thanks.