• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Spirit of '86 Lives Again

Ned_Merrill

Qui n’avance pas, recule
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long-time Hawk fans remember 1986. That year, the Seahawks of Chuck Knox, Dave Krieg, Steve Largent, Curt Warner, Kenny Easley, etc., ended the regular season as the NFL's hottest team. After a 5-2 start, followed by a horrendous 4-game losing streak, Seattle went on a tear, beating the Eagles in the Kingdome, blowing out Dallas on Thanksgiving Day, crushing the Raiders 37-0 on MNF, outscoring San Diego 34-24, and finally, trouncing AFC West champs and SB-bound Denver 41-16. Yet, because they ended at 10-6 in a 4-way tie, the Hawks were eliminated on tiebreakers. That team was the only one in the NFL that year to defeat the two Super Bowl participants: the NY Giants of Bill Parcells, Phil Simms, and Lawrence Taylor; and John Elway's Broncos. Many folks like me consider that team to be the best one of the Chuck Knox era, even better than the 1983 and 1984 Playoff teams. But, we never got to see them in action in the post-season.

Now, we have a Hawks team that started slow, went on a tear to end the year, and which features a dynamic rookie WR (Tyler Lockett > Daryl 'Burner' Turner). This year's Hawks also ended the season by blowing out division rival Arizona, just as the '86 team wiped out Denver. The difference is, the NFL will now have to face this team in combat. It will surely not be an easy path, since all games will almost certainly be played away from the C-Link. But this year, the Hawks have a chance to advance and prove their mettle, a chance that was denied to those storied Seahawks of 29 years ago. I, for one, cannot wait to see what Pete and the lads have in store for the NFL.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember waiting until the final game of the regular season to see if we made it in with a 10-6 record. Denied. IMO we would have won our 1st SB that year cuz the team was on a tear. It did not matter who they player, or where.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have some of those games recorded on VHS. I was 15 at the time and recorded pretty much all the games. Tapes are sitting around in my parents place somewhere...

We have the best defense and best QB in the NFC. I like our chances.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure could use a good RB, the running game sucked today and it's going to be harder to run against the Panthers.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks could sure use a healthy Curt Warner right about now..

Last I heard, he was healthy - but at 54 he probably isn't much of a option right now.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure could use a good RB, the running game sucked today and it's going to be harder to run against the Panthers.

I thought the weather conditions really affected our game. Michael wasn't so bad this week, just a few too many runs up the middle where the interior line wasn't getting any push against Joseph. I actually agreed with Collinsworth that Seattle should've run the read option more, as Michael seems to be ideal for that kind've of running scheme, especially with very little movement happening in the middle.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the weather conditions really affected our game. Michael wasn't so bad this week, just a few too many runs up the middle where the interior line wasn't getting any push against Joseph. I actually agreed with Collinsworth that Seattle should've run the read option more, as Michael seems to be ideal for that kind've of running scheme, especially with very little movement happening in the middle.
Yes I agree with running the read option. Felt it would have been affective, but seems like RW didn't want to run today.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I agree with running the read option. Felt it would have been affective, but seems like RW didn't want to run today.

-4. Can't blame him....

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just happy for the win, onto Carolina!

Exactly, the conditions in Carolina should make it much easier to play our game. There really isn't anything from this game that can be taken to that one, as the conditions were just so severe.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long-time Hawk fans remember 1986. That year, the Seahawks of Chuck Knox, Dave Krieg, Steve Largent, Curt Warner, Kenny Easley, etc., ended the regular season as the NFL's hottest team. After a 5-2 start, followed by a horrendous 4-game losing streak, Seattle went on a tear, beating the Eagles in the Kingdome, blowing out Dallas on Thanksgiving Day, crushing the Raiders 37-0 on MNF, outscoring San Diego 34-24, and finally, trouncing AFC West champs and SB-bound Denver 41-16. Yet, because they ended at 10-6 in a 4-way tie, the Hawks were eliminated on tiebreakers. That team was the only one in the NFL that year to defeat the two Super Bowl participants: the NY Giants of Bill Parcells, Phil Simms, and Lawrence Taylor; and John Elway's Broncos. Many folks like me consider that team to be the best one of the Chuck Knox era, even better than the 1983 and 1984 Playoff teams. But, we never got to see them in action in the post-season.

Now, we have a Hawks team that started slow, went on a tear to end the year, and which features a dynamic rookie WR (Tyler Lockett > Daryl 'Burner' Turner). This year's Hawks also ended the season by blowing out division rival Arizona, just as the '86 team wiped out Denver. The difference is, the NFL will now have to face this team in combat. It will surely not be an easy path, since all games will almost certainly be played away from the C-Link. But this year, the Hawks have a chance to advance and prove their mettle, a chance that was denied to those storied Seahawks of 29 years ago. I, for one, cannot wait to see what Pete and the lads have in store for the NFL.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

I do remember that year.... I have always felt that if the Seahawks could a just made the playoffs that year they would a went all the way.... They were on FIRE!!!! I've said that for YEARS now... Cool you brought that up...