• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The "Shift"

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This season the 49ers used a "shift" that drew opposing linemen offside. The play has been effective twice out of the 3 times the Niners used it. I'm just wondering if the Niners are susceptible to the same play? Teams are now watching the Niners a lot closer than they did before due to fact that the Niners are 8-1 and is expected to be a playoff team... Teams now will know to watch for shifts at crucial moments in a game... What if one of these teams try that same tactics on the Niners??? Is the 49ers defense aware enough to spot this or will some clever coach use this tactic to one up Harbaugh???

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brooks is definitely a future victim to that "shift" play.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have been killing teams with that the refs cant stand it either lol

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Washington, you had the snaps issue but things worked out the other way yesterday, did you do anything to clarify things with the League offices?

“Yes, we talked to the league last week as I mentioned that got a very good interpretation of exactly what to tell our players.”

Did it have anything to do with the quarterback head bob?

“No, no it did not.”

What did you have to change then to make it comply, or did they change?

“I really… it’s confidential.”

Aren’t you guys allowed to talk to the officials beforehand and kind of go over certain aspects?

“Yes, but they made it clear that those communications are confidential and not for me to stand up here and… It’s been good, it’s been good communication. They’ve explained it and we feel like we know what to tell our players at least, where it’s not vague, it’s not arbitrary. It’s a shift, it’s a normal shift. We do it all the time, we do it on first down, we do it on second down, we do it on third down, teams have seen we do it on third down. It’s not the intent to draw the other team off-sides; the intent is to change the strength of the formation. I don’t see how anybody could really have a problem with it. Shifting is a part of football and they’ve seen it every game that we’ve played.”

Just to be clear, is there anything based on that that your team had to do differently from the play where they got the penalty?

“No.”
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/11/inside-the-49ers/jim-harbaugh-on-alex-smith-hell-get-the-game-ball-dont-print-that/

Hmmm, I'll have to watch the game on NFL Rewind but, I'm pretty sure the only thing I saw differently this time than in Washington and Detroit was the WR running by hit Walker on either the back or his butt as he ran by... that must be the signal to the side judge.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the league is going to address this in the offseason. even watching it on tv, for a split second u think false start.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is a very tough split second call for the refs to make and they'll probably be siding with us more than not.

It also slows down pass rush as DE's/OLB's can't go on first movement; they've got to make sure the ball is snapped. Good call 3littlebirds, that is something to keep an eye on in third down plays to see if there is some type of signal.