• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Price is Right?

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds stayed in-house for their next manager, choosing pitching coach Bryan Price to replace Dusty "The Dustmop" Baker. The club plans to introduce the 51-year-old Price at a news conference later today. I think this was a good decision as Price has done well molding a very formidable pitching staff. For him to be successfull, he will need to get rid of the other pieces of shit that littered the clubhouse specifically Jerkoby, Berry, and Spier. Clean house and get in some real teaching professionals who can make Cozart, Bruce, Mezeraco, and Frazier better hitters and better all around players. This is our time as a franchise, we cannot fail here.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Price was percieved as having other offers to manage, and the Reds wanted to keep him. Time will tell if it was a good decision or not, but Price was a fan of Chapman as a SP, one hurdle Walt could get Dusty to jump on. I never believed Hamilton would have gotten PT from Dusty-maybe another positice change with Price ? we'll see. There are lots of other questions.

Who is the hitting coach ? Basecoaches ? Who is the pitching coach now ? The problem with keeping someone from the previous staff as a manager, is they often keep a lot of the same staff, and little changes...NOT what the Reds need.

The roster is not complete - Choo may leave, they are talking about trading BP, and I always doubted Ryan Ludwick was a plausible answer to a championship question. Is Hanigan nearing the cliff ? Is Broxton healthy ? What is Cingrani's role ? Chapmans ?

I don't think Price or anyone can solve those riddles without adding to the roster.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think every team presents a new manager and the fans get excited. Even with Dusty, I was cautiously optimistic though I wasn't all that happy to see him hired in the first place. Price is a little different but I can't say for sure if he's going to turn the team around. Turning it around is a difficult definition.

A new hitting philosophy and attention to new metrics appears to be in the offing -- or so we fantasize.
I have no proof that Price can do anything except make pitchers better.

As for his dugout staff, three years ago -- had you even heard of Bryan Price?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with the Reds, this is all about getting to the next level - I'm sure they'll make roster moves here and there but there's too much talent on that team not to make a playoff run - so I think they feel Brian Price can be good strategically and not make the dumb errors Dusty did in certain games

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds stayed in-house for their next manager, choosing pitching coach Bryan Price to replace Dusty "The Dustmop" Baker. The club plans to introduce the 51-year-old Price at a news conference later today. I think this was a good decision as Price has done well molding a very formidable pitching staff. For him to be successfull, he will need to get rid of the other pieces of shit that littered the clubhouse specifically Jerkoby, Berry, and Spier. Clean house and get in some real teaching professionals who can make Cozart, Bruce, Mezeraco, and Frazier better hitters and better all around players. This is our time as a franchise, we cannot fail here.

:agree:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price will also have to find a way to replace the OBP that they will lose when Choo leaves.
If Phillips is traded, there's a cog in the offense that needs to be greased.
Ludwick will try to play LF again and he won't get it done.
Mesoraco needs to pick up the bat.
Bringing in Hamilton is a gamble.
Chapman to the rotation? Maybe ... is he better than Bronson, who's leaving?
This isn't going to be an easy ride.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very curious to see whether Price keeps most of the dugout staff intact or implements some serious changes. Imo, Jacoby and Berry MUST go. Speier, take him or leave him.

All in all, this hire wasn't very shocking. It seemed like Price and Riggleman were the only two candidates that generated serious interest from the front office. I don't know much about Price's baseball philosophy besides his work as a pitching coach. I'll be interested to hear what he has to say about taking this team to the next level.

Agreed that the team needs more than just a managerial change to be a serious World Series competitor, but this is a nice first step. Trying to replace the production that will be lost with Choo is going to be difficult. Trying to replace the production that could potentially be lost by trading BP would not be quite as difficult, but difficult nonetheless.

I do think a change in hitting instruction could do wonders for Cozart, Frazier, and Bruce. If they could ever learn to hit anything besides a mistake or a 90 mph fastball down the middle, it would be beneficial.

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know about this, it's going to take more than just firing Dusty to change things around here. The hitting coach as got to go, I'm sorry I can't take watching the Reds rely on the long ball and leave runners stranded anymore. That only gets you so far and it's got the Reds knocked out of the playoffs 3 times in the first round. Inconsistency on offense has been a key issue the past 4 years with this team.

Price has done a lot of good with our pitchers. He's turned around Homer Bailey's career and made Mike Leake a serviceable option. Latos is clearly our #1 guy and Bronson is a free agent. I'd hate to say it but I think Cueto's time at the top is done. He's starting to resemble Volquez where he can't stay health because of awful mechanics and his confidence looks to be severely down.

The bullpen is very good still and the roster has plenty of talent. I just don't know right now, this team needs someone that can light a fire under their asses and make them play hard. The Reds players played the way Dusty manages, little to no effort. He dragged them down to his level and someone needs to bring them back up to their potential.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The success/failure of this hire, to me, is going to be mainly predicated on whether or not he lets Jacoby go.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacoby and the entire premise of how to manage an offense -- all that has to change.
This team isn't going to find a brand new Ron Gant or Greg Vaughn in the off-season.
But there isn't a reason why they can't generate a run more per game.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryan Price wasn't Dusty's pitching coach. Dick Pole was. Jocketty fired Pole and hired Price, who had done success in Seattle and Arizona. At least according to Dusty, the Reds players wre to blame for not hitting, not Brook Jacoby. If Dustys story is true about losing his job defending Jacoby, I would think Jacoby would be gone by now, if it's untrue, I'd say Price will get the opportunity to see if Jacoby might be asked back. Personally, I believe a bit of both stories- I think Jacoby came up, Dusty tried throwing his weight around, sensitive about his boss manipulating his staff, and got tricked into putting himself where Walt wanted him-out the door.

For a self described players manager, there sure have been a lot of players, and Reds media talking about Dusty's failings lately. I think Dusty was somewhat a fraud that got a lot of false press and praise. Time will tell, but maybe Price is more respected or more approachable, or simply is more motivated because he will be under the microscope, that Dusty do often got excused from. The coaching staff needs to be redone, but the roster needs a fine tube also.

I suspect a hitting coach, maybe a Reds legacy guy...and a couple of new coaches. In also convinced we'll see a LHSP from the beginning next year, and I expect a change in the lineup...and I don't just mean Zbilly Hamilton. They gave Price a 3 year deal, but I don't think Jocketty will be there that long if the Reds don't get farther in the playoffs than they have. Time to ante up or fold.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the interview with Price, I became confused. This is a low key kind of guy that is obviously a smart Coach. Price talks about unity as a theme behind his philosophy. Does that mean there was "unity" lacking in 2013 under the Dustmop leadership? Price talks about how much he learned from Dustmop which is also concerning. I hope he didn't learn how to bunt a relief pitcher who hadn't had a sac bunt in 7 years in the majors and then turn around and pull him the next inning. Lets hope like hell he didn't learn that. Castellini and Jocketty talk about how they knew this was the right guy for the job and there was no use in interviewing anyone else. OK, these dickwads said the same thing with Dustmop years ago so I don't have faith in that process. I think Price is a good decision but it also was the easiest decision that wont be criticized by the media. I found it amusing that in a 30 minute press conference, Dustmop's name was mentioned no less than 10 times. Ole Dusteroo sure left his mark around Cincy that is for sure. We can only hope Dustmop's lazy, idiotic attitude didn't rub off on Price. I like everything about this hire but on the surface I don't see a personality and fire that will rub off on these players. This club needs a manager willing to get up in your face and hold each and every player accountable. Not sure Price is that guy. He seems way to laid back for my likes but I will give him a chance. I know one thing, he will make better in game decisions. A 13 year old would have done better than Dustmop who would make a mockery of the game with his bullshit. Maybe a passionate hitting Coach would get this club moving to the next level so that had better be on the agenda if price is to succeed.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Price is going to be throwing any bases or bashing any water coolers.
Not sure that helps anyhow but it's interesting.
Price isn't going to say anything at these press conferences.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what I saw in the press conference, it seems like the Reds hired him to keep him in the organization. He seems awfully laid back which worries me, but he did stress accountability. As long as he holds himself and his players accountable, that's already more than Dusty ever did. Sounds like he's a very smart guy, so I'm hoping the brain farts from the dugout that cost the Reds games will cease.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Price gets his way and that Chapman is a success as a SP.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the interview on MLB Network....if the term "a deer in the headlights" ever existed it was for this interview. That said....I hope this guy can make the right decisions to keep the Reds competitive. The talent is there, just needs to be used productively.

Good Luck....Keep the rivalry going....

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to think Ronnie Ortegon will replace Jacoby and Mack Jenkins will be the pitching coach. Both are organizational guys that were assistants put in place by Jocketty. On the job training is my take on those two.

The bench coach is going to be crucial for Price. For every move Dusty made, good or bad, Spier was there. If you fire the manager, can't keep the bench coach. IMO, the bench coach will make or break Price's first year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Riggleman in that position.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds situational play was poor. That reflects on the manager and bench coach, and often (on offense) drags the hitting and base coaches into the equasion...advance scouts with a bad report on pickoff moves, pitch tendencies, etc. can have runners manufacturing outs instead of runs. ALL those guys are suspect and worthy of scrutiny, IMO.

I'm less worried about pitching coaches than any other staff position, because it's Prices area of expertise, and staff coaches that aren't on the same page as managers don't last long. Jenkins, Power, Soto, Browning, Brantley and even Dave Duncan are all names the Reds have speed dial on.

Hitting coaches, tougher. It takes more than a just a hitter to coach one. In fact, a lot of great hitters God made great, but a lot of previous studious pine riders helped hitters to be better...ask George Brett about Charlie Lau.

A bench coach can be different things for different clubs. It amazed me to see the Reds C's taking signs from Speier 50% of the time..at the MLB level ? From an ex good glove no bat infielder ? Bad science there. A bench coach is usually the D aligner and situational encyclopedia, but I've seen them be just an extra hitting coach or clubhouse bouncer.

This team wasted as many runs not making productive outs, running in pitchout situations, and standing in steal situations, as they wasted trailing runners with the base coaches spectating the play at the plate. That indicts every member of Dusty's staff except the pitching coach, bullpen coach, trainer and the guy doing the laundry. I'd fire them all.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They all gotta go. Anything remotely associated with Dustmop will have to go. Clean it out and start fresh.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price may have colleagues from another organization he wants to use. Dusty has guys the Reds had around he didnt trust- Eric Davis and Mario Soto specifically, that he once said "distracted" his players...IMO, meaning, they didnt sell Dusty's version of how to get it done.

Price was the ONLY member of Dusty's staff that publicly agreed with Walt's wish of Chapman as a SP. Price, Hatcher and Berry weren't Dusty hires. Pole and Jacoby and Speier and Porky were Dusty's guys. Will there be trust issues for Price if Walt hires people Price doesn't choose ? Probably...so it HAS to be a GM/Manager working together and agreeing on the same page to be on. Walt was an Oakland, St.Louis guy. Price was an ancient almost Angel, worked in Seattle and Arizona, but probably has ex-teammates or coaches in other organizations, and they have networks too. It will be interesting to see who they put together.