• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Mystery of Matt Kemp

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your intrepid reporter (that's me) is on the case!

May 8: Kemp and Yasiel Puig are lined up to be everyday outfielders for the Dodgers moving forward, Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports. Kemp will play center field most days for the Dodgers, only receiving days off when manager Don Mattingly plans a built-in day of rest for him. This is essentially what the Dodgers have been going with over the past few weeks, but Mattingly making it official will finally bring a shred of consistency to the Dodgers' outfield scheme moving forward. Under this plan, it looks like Carl Crawford and Andre Ethier will share the reps in left field.

May 12: Kemp has at least one hit in seven of his last eight games after going 2 for 4 with his fifth home run of the season Saturday against San Francisco. Kemp is batting .464 over his last eight games, raising his season average from .205 to .270.

May 13: Kemp continued his hot hitting Tuesday against Miami, going 2-for-4 with an RBI.

May 14: Kemp will get a rest day Wednesday against the Marlins, MLB.com's Ken Gurnick reports.

May 18: Kemp is not in the lineup Sunday against the Diamondbacks, getting his second day of rest this week.

May 24: Kemp is not in the lineup Saturday against the Phillies, sitting for a second straight day.

May 24: Kemp may be deployed in a platoon moving forward, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Analysis: When asked why Kemp was out of the lineup Friday, manager Don Mattingly said it was because "center field has been a situation we continue to look at." That came a day after the skipper said Kemp lacked "the burst" he had before offseason ankle surgery, and while Mattingly wouldn't say how exactly the playing time in center will be divided, Andre Ethier is starting again Saturday. Mattingly stressed that Kemp doesn't have any physical problems that would prevent him from playing.

May 25: Kemp isn't in the lineup on Sunday.

May 25: Manager Don Mattingly said that Kemp will start working out in left field, Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports.

May 26: Kemp is out of the Dodgers' starting lineup for the fourth straight game, and he's being groomed to play left field because the team isn't confident he can handle the defensive demands of playing center field at the moment. Manager Don Mattingly said Monday that Kemp isn't moving the way he did a couple of years ago, when he was the 2011 NL MVP runner-up. He believes Kemp isn't 100 percent physically after undergoing ankle surgery during the offseason.

May 27: Kemp is out of the Dodgers' lineup again Tuesday.
Despite being completely healthy, Kemp has been out of the lineup each of the past four days and will sit yet again Tuesday. Manager Don Mattingly has been somewhat cagey regarding the situation, but did say that Kemp will start working out in left field in order to gain some versatility. For the time being, it looks like Kemp will be deployed on the short end of a platoon in center.

Manager Donnie Baseball has refused all my requests for an interview. :wtf2:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I don't really understand why Kemp is out of the lineup. Mattingly gone crazy?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize the .464 stretch... doesn't make much sense, unless it's a locker room thing? All I know is I'm glad I forgot about him a couple years ago... never had an attachment to him.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I traded Koji for Kemp a few weeks ago, so I'm very interested in this mystery. That said, I'm obviously biased, but it seems to me that the best chance for Kemp to even come close to getting back to his MVP form of a few years ago does not involve sitting on the bench for four consecutive games. I tend to think that Mattingly and Kemp are butting heads over playing time. Have to think that unless an LAD OF gets hurt, Kemp could possibly get traded.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have him in one of my league and want to trade him so I don't have to start Castellanos when Kemp doesnt play.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Kemp said or did something that pissed off Donnie Baseball. The only thing I can come up with.

Ram Tough

You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they should just trade him.. Kemp would still get alot in return. That would be better than a platoon outfielder; which they are using him as.

Ram Tough

You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chef keep investigating!! Donnie has 2 say something sooner or later

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where you all think Kemp is going? They are obviously about to trade him. Lets start talking about his options of where he could fit in and who is going to take his contract. Could the Cardinals be targeting him? If they were to trade Adams in the deal they could move Craig back to first and open up right field for Taveras. It probably wouldn't make too much sense though for the Dodgers because they have A. Gonz so I doubt this would happen. As a fan I am only dreaming, haha.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the plot thickens; Carl Crawford with an ankle sprain. If it's serious, Kemp is suddenly the starting left fielder. Unless they call up Joc.

In other news, pretty boy Ethier hit a home run. No one cares. :laugh3:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the plot thickens; Carl Crawford with an ankle sprain. If it's serious, Kemp is suddenly the starting left fielder. Unless they call up Joc.

I think Mattingly wants Kemp out and is trying to force management's hand.

Interestingly, the Dodgers have won 3 in a row with Kemp sitting. Coincidence?

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know what the hell they're doing. When I started writing this piece, things still made sense ha.
The Crawford injury puts an interesting wrinkle in it all. I'm on the edge of my seat.

Gambling on Prospects: Joc Pederson | The Fantasy Assembly

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Kemp said or did something that pissed off Donnie Baseball. The only thing I can come up with.

I understand it has to do with him lagging on defense. And, possibly, this is Kemps way of letting the Dodgers know he really does not want to be there anymore.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well they need to hurry up got him in both bigd leagues i need answers he also is sucking big time vs lefties:suds:

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well they need to hurry up got him in both bigd leagues i need answers he also is sucking big time vs lefties:suds:

He's hitting lefties quite well this year. That was my concern in the past as well.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's hitting lefties quite well this year. That was my concern in the past as well.

157/173/216 not exactly quite well :suds: only 50 at bats so maybe it was all aces he faced

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking about Kemp:suds:

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand it has to do with him lagging on defense. And, possibly, this is Kemps way of letting the Dodgers know he really does not want to be there anymore.

Well it's a believable excuse. . And may very well be the real reason. But it's just one of those feelings that makes me think theta something deeper and that's the excuse they're giving the public. ..could just be me though.

Regardless, this Crawford injury may make it a moot point. That or if they give someone else the PT, it'll be obvious Thera more to it

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wait... Crawford is injured? I'm shocked. lol

Kemp had to have pissed off someone to not be playing. I do not want him on the Red Sox if the Dodgers trade him